Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FSWerks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TEAM Member

Default Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor

Has anyone ever had problems with their CHT sensor? It is the sensor located in the center of the ignition coils...right smack dab in the middle of the valve cover.

When I pull the center coils out, they are brown and so is that part of the cylinder head. Looks like it's corroded. Anyone know what this might mean? Should I replace the sensor? CAN I replace the sensor? I tried messing with it the other day, and I could't get it to budge, which lead me to believe that it's not supposed to...?
    Mods: Cosworth CAI/CFM TB, Crane Stg1s, BSD, F2 Header, 2.5" exhaust w/high flow and magnaflow straight through, Eibach sport system plus, FS front and rear strut bars, Focus Central STS, Exedy Stage 1, Torsen T2, All 3 motor mounts, FS tune 91

Default Re: Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor

Mine went out after about 6 months of ownership. Car ran loke dog crap for a weekend until I could get it into the shop. Covered under warranty so I didn't bother messing with it.
    [RIP] Garret McIntire [7/84-4/07]

Quote Originally Posted by OmniFocus View Post
    Pfffft... I have a side pipe on my Minivan. Ain't no thang. :p

TEAM Member

mmmm...did you run the car really hard?
    Mods: Cosworth CAI/CFM TB, Crane Stg1s, BSD, F2 Header, 2.5" exhaust w/high flow and magnaflow straight through, Eibach sport system plus, FS front and rear strut bars, Focus Central STS, Exedy Stage 1, Torsen T2, All 3 motor mounts, FS tune 91

It did several things ...

- At speed it would sparadically drop RPMs like it had hit a governer and wouldn't speed back up until a couple thousand RPM drop.

- Slowing for redlights and stopsigns, again a RPM drop and stutter.

- Sitting at redlights, I'd have to occasionally jab the throttle to get the rev's up like a badly tuned carb'd V* from the mid 70's.

- Leaving lights was either fine or hell depending on what it felt like doing. It would occaisionally stall, sometimes stagger and always give me a headache for that weekend.

- Triggered the CEL

TEAM Member

- At speed it would sparadically drop RPMs like it had hit a governer and wouldn't speed back up until a couple thousand RPM drop.

Mine has started doing that recently. It only drops a few hundred RPM though. When I am at speed and cruising along, it feels like the fuel injection will just shut off/throttle close then the RPMs drop. Even if I push the accelerator pedal in further it won't budge. It goes away after a few seconds. Sound familiar?

Yep, that's what mine started out as, but changed rather quickly to what i described. I think because I wasn't having the best day when it started and I "urged" it into going ahead and breaking whatever was gonna break.

TEAM Member

Well...looks like I'll have to replace it. Good thing it's only 21 bucks from fordparts.com.

Rookie

Im having the same problem...changing that sensor resolve the problem?

Not sure how to change it as mine was done under warranty. Hopefully one of the others will chime in shortly.

I noticed this sensor is monitorable (if that's a word) from the SCT software.
    Does anyone know what the typical temperature range is for it?
    IE, the "normal" and "hot" range.
    mark <><
    06 Sonic Blue zx5 GT2871r turbo

TEAM Member

It unscrews. You will need a deep socket - looks like about 17-19 mm. Get the new one - looks like a 5 minute fix
    Comp Orange Coswagon /Torsen and 4.06 gear, alum. flywheel /Centerforce. 2.3L/ 11.6 pistons, 39lb. inj. Eagle rods, Stage 2 Cosworth cams on ported street head with the Cosworth Intake and exhaust, 205NA HP.

Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by arty
    It unscrews. You will need a deep socket - looks like about 17-19 mm. Get the new one - looks like a 5 minute fix
    Where is this sensor located? I need to replace mine but can't figure out where it is.

Egz
    Inheritly Sinister

On a Duratec, its dead center of the cylinder head, between spark plugs 2 and 3.

Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Egz
    On a Duratec, its dead center of the cylinder head, between spark plugs 2 and 3.
    I did a search for CHT and came up with this thread, didn't realize it was in the Duratec section. I need Zetec information, but can't find anything conclusive.
    Last edited by SVToreUp; Mar 1, 2008 at 10:44 PM.

Egz
    Inheritly Sinister

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast