Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

James Barone Racing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2.0->2.3 Swap Help

Well, I put a hole in my block yesterday, so I am going to take the time to put in a 2.3 while I have the chance. I am almost positive I can do it myself, as it should be a basic swap, mostly plug and play from my searches. The ECU should be fine with a tune from FSWERKS, so thats not a problem. If anybody could give me a good list of everything I need to unhook and reconnect that would be great. I am confident that it shouldn't be too difficult, so I just wanted a guide if you will.

Thanks for any help guys!

Jacob
    2005 2.3 Liter Sonic Blue SVT
    Mods: 2.3 Duratec Swap, Focus Sport CAI, MBRP Exhaust, Massive Strut Bar, Roush Struts, Progress Lowering Springs, SVT 5-Spoke Wheels w/ Kumho Ecsta ASXs, SVT Interior & Exterior Goodies, Roush Pedals, Flat Black Grills, 5%/15% Tint, Kenwood System

Senior TEAM Member

Default Re: 2.0->2.3 Swap Help

how did you put a hole in your block?
    The only standing control arms is your goal for the first time.
    If weapons killing people, scoops, make Mihajl′ Moor and fat Rosie O'donnčl′!

TEAM Member

You will need to drop the axles, disconnect motor mounts, unhook all the hoses (coolant, power steering, heater) and the wiring harness, unhook the intake from the TB/manifold to include the PCV hose that goes into the valve cover, unhook the throttle cable/cruise cable from the TB, the battery cables from the engine (starter and block). That's all I can think of right now.

I suggest investing in a haynes manual. There are pretty detailed instructions on how to pull the engine.
    Mods: Cosworth CAI/CFM TB, Crane Stg1s, BSD, F2 Header, 2.5" exhaust w/high flow and magnaflow straight through, Eibach sport system plus, FS front and rear strut bars, Focus Central STS, Exedy Stage 1, Torsen T2, All 3 motor mounts, FS tune 91

I believe complications from previous hydrolock

am I correct in thinking that everything will hook up correctly on the 2.3? The only thing I would need is the ECU tuner. Correct?
    Last edited by 170499; Jul 13, 2009 at 3:50 PM.
    Mods: 2.3 Duratec Swap, Focus Sport CAI, MBRP Exhaust, Massive Strut Bar, Roush Struts, Progress Lowering Springs, SVT 5-Spoke Wheels w/ Kumho Ecsta ASXs, SVT Interior & Exterior Goodies, Roush Pedals, Flat Black Grills, 5%/15% Tint, Kenwood System

TEAM Member

Everything will hook up, yes. However, I am not sure about the tuning aspect. I'll leave that to someone more knowledgeable than I.
    Mods: Cosworth CAI/CFM TB, Crane Stg1s, BSD, F2 Header, 2.5" exhaust w/high flow and magnaflow straight through, Eibach sport system plus, FS front and rear strut bars, Focus Central STS, Exedy Stage 1, Torsen T2, All 3 motor mounts, FS tune 91

I have done some more research and this is what I have found:

1. I will need a longer serpentine belt for the moved P/S pump due to higher deck height. Anyone know what size belt?

2. The 2.0 dipstick tube will need to be modded to reach the pan, since the 2.3 tube will not attach to the 2.0 Intake Manifold.

3. I will need to shim the pass. motor mount to accommodate the 11mm taller deck height.

Anything else I need to be aware of? I plan on using the 2.0 IM for tuning simplicity, since it does not have tumble flaps. Should I use the 2.3 manifold? Any performance differences? I also plan on using the 2.0 plastic valve cover so that the crankcase breather connection will not be changed.

Let me know if any of this is wrong or needs to be added to. Thanks again!

TEAM Member

I thought you were just going to get a D23 complete from TB to oil pan and drop it in?

What exactly are you using from the D23?

I am not entirely sure what is coming on the 2.3. I know for sure that I will need the 2.0 valve cover, and I think i will need to reuse my exhaust manifold(for now). The new engine should come with everything else... worst case, I need to transfer the P/S, A/C, etc... But that should all be exactly the same.

TEAM Member

The P/S pump and all the pulleys with the serpentine belt should come on the engine already.

You are making it sound like you are just getting a block.

Why would you need to use the D20 valve cover?

If I were you, I would find out what my engine was coming with before I bought it. Sounds like more research is in order.

The 2.3 valve cover has a different breather connection. I am getting all this from a thread over on FF, but I am open to any help lol. I called the company yesterday, however the guy wasn't very helpful... I need to order one soon though...

TEAM Member

What company? Where are you getting this engine from?

Are you sure about that breather? Which D23 are you using? Sounds like you are talking about an 03-04 D23, and not a 05-07. That one DID have a different connection, but the 05-07 duratecs are all the same.

D20: http://media.photobucket.com/image/d...techEngine.jpg

D23: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...d.php?t=203837

Its a company called engines direct...

Duh! I didnt even think about the valve covers changing on the 2.3 in 05.

I need to find out what year the motor was built for...

Edit: Just called back, and it is an 05 motor, however I will need my own oil pan, timing cover, and valve cover.

This will bolt up to my ATX correct?

After a lengthy conversation with Engines Direct, i discovered that this engine DOES have a valve cover, timing cover, and oil pan, unlike most of their engines. I ordered it, and it should be here in a couple of days.

I also talked to Randy at FSWERKS, and he was very knowledgeable and helpful, as I am sure you already know. Tuning for the 2.3 using the 2.0 IM wont be a problem, so I ordered the XCAL3 and he will work on the tune for it.

Looks like everything is starting to come together...finally.

Afraziaaaa brought up the point that all 05 D23s were manuals, but I don't think Ford changed the bellhousing bolt pattern on the Duratecs. I think as long as the tranny is for a DTec it should work. Correct? Anyone?

Anybody know how many 05 2.3 ZX3's are running around? I have seen maybe 2 or 3...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast