Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Top Speed Performance

Default Grinding noise on right side of engine

Ever since I had my Exedy Stage 2 clutch and Torsen T2 LSD installed..

There has been a grinding sound coming from that general area on the right side of the engine.

I took it to FSWerks and (of course) the sound was pretty mild so they couldn't really comment on it or speculate what the sound might be.

It's most noticeable when I start the car in the morning.. The more I drive (30min-1hr straight).. it does quiet down a little but it's still there..

Any ideas what it might be?

Clutch Chatter? Bad master cyclinder? Bad lower engine mount? Bad tranny mount? Bad passenger motor mount?

I've taken it to my local dealer but they can't seem to find the problem.

I took it to my local ford dealer but one they saw my turbo they refused to work on the car.
    2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2.3L w/ FocusSport Stage 2 Turbo, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch / lightweight flywheel, Torsen T2 Lsd, Eibach Pro System springs and dampers, FS front/rear upper stress bars, CFM lower engine mount, Borla 2.5" Exhaust, Steeda Tri-Ax STS..

TEAM Member

Default Re: Grinding noise on right side of engine

Right side meaning passenger side? Is the grinding sound when the car is moving, or sitting still?
    2003 Twilight Blue ZX3, 2.3l, Custom FS Stage 2 turbo, custom 3" exhaust, Cosworth intake manifold, SVT brakes, Koni coilovers, EAP wheels, Exedy Stage 1 clutch, Torsen diff

I had a similar noise (engine running, car not) and it ended up being a broken passenger side mount. The engine was drooping down and one of the pulleys were grinding on the subframe. I found it by jacking up the engine and noticed the separation. Just a thought.
    Jon
    2003 Pitch Black 2.3
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
    in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
    thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    "WOW! What a Ride!"

Vik from FSWerks suggested it might be the lightweight flywheel chatter but I think it's something more?

The sound is there when I start the car and more noticeable when I press the accelerator. I audible when I release the gas as well but slowly get softer and softer and it's almost non-existent when I put the car in neutral.

I'm guessing it's both chatter and a faulty passenger mount. I'll get it replaced as I have been cornering like a madman lately..

Thanks everyone.

I'll keep you posted.
    2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2.3L w/ FocusSport Stage 2 Turbo, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch / lightweight flywheel, Torsen T2 Lsd, Eibach Pro System springs and dampers, FS front/rear upper stress bars, CFM lower engine mount, Borla 2.5" Exhaust, Steeda Tri-Ax STS..

Senior TEAM Member

Do you have an aftermarket driver side mount/transmission mount?
    Garage as of 4/10/10
    2003 Zx3-T 2.3L
    2002 SVTF
    2001 Zx3

TEAM Member

This sounds like exactly what I have been hearing. It's like a grinding/"chattering" noise and gets sort of loud during acceleration and also after shifting and when RPMs are going back down it can be heard. It is almost unnoticable in neutral and at idle. Also can only be heard inside the car, I tried listening for it outside the car with my head stuck in the engine bay, but didn't hear the sound at all. Weird stuff.
    2003 2.3L Duratec ZX3 PZEV
    K&N CAI | Trubendz 2.5" flex-back | FSWERKS 91 tune | SVT suspension | VF dogbone | Enkei J10's.

Senior TEAM Member

I had loud chattering, due to having a stiffer engine mount. When I stuck the stock mounts back on it was really quiet again, and I couldn't hear any of the clutch chatter.
    Garage as of 4/10/10
    2003 Zx3-T 2.3L
    2002 SVTF
    2001 Zx3