I suppose this deserves a bit of a write-up. Glenn scored these skirts damaged/partially repaired. They came to him missing some mounting tabs and one side was cracked/plastic welded. I offered to repair them for free if I could use them to make a mold to make another set out of fiberglass/kevlar and he jumped on my offer and shipped them to me.
So the first order of business was to use one of the unharmed mounting tabs to create replacement tabs for the other skirts. So I masked the area off to make what I call a mini-mold of the tab
Then I applied my mold material to the tab(after a healthy coat of mold release of course)
Here is the mini-mold after it has cured
how it will create a nice replacement tab for the busted ones:
layed up some fiberglass and kevlar layers into the mini-mold and vacuum bagged overnight to cure (twice, for two replacement tabs)
the replacement tabs
how they fit
Now, to "mount" the tabs, I drilled a few 1/8" holes through the tab and skirt, then used a countersink on the "outsides" of them so that when epoxied, the epoxy would create a self-rivet effect so these CANNOT come back off. I truly think these tabs are not the strongest part of the skirt haha. I held them in place with a machine screw, then removed it and countersunk the whole and epoxied that as well.
The next order of business was to smooth out where I had the holes drilled to mount the tabs, as well as address the cracked/plastic-welded area on the one skirt. This ended up being a gigantic nightmare as whoever did the crack repair used an incorrect material that was MUCH softer than the ABS plastic of the skirt and caused serious issues for me with getting the bodylines correct when sanding the filler.
I didnt take too many more photo's of this process, because it was rather frustrating....but I had to prime it and guide-coat it multiple times to get it close enough to lay in high-build primer for finishing purposes.
finally got it close after probably 14hrs of sanding/filling/grinding out bad plastic weld/filling/sanding, repeat. Layed in high-build primer:
I have since guide-coated (mist dark rattle-can paint so when the dark color is gone you know you have a straight surface) the skirts....I have to give them a "block-down" which is using a special high density foam black with sticky-backed sand paper on it to get them perfect. then it's mold-makin' time and I can ship these back to glenn so he can have them painted on put on!
(I did a proof of concept mold of the foglight bezels, I am going to do a quick lay-up of these to see how a reproduction will come out before deciding if I am going to build the mold for the skirts this way)
That's all for now, I'll update with progress as I block out the skirts and mold them!
Oh yeah, I saved the mini-mold for the tabs......so if anyone needs to replace their tabs, I can make you some and you can use this writeup to repair yours. PM for details on that if need-be