Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Massive banner 1 - 2014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TEAM Member

Default water spots on a black car

Ok, well...as the subject says..I have bad water spots on my black ZTS and cannot get them out. I have tried to just wash them, then tried a cleaner wax, and then tried a claybar. I tried all these different methods on seperate parts of the car and none of them lifted the spots. The claybar did make the finish really smooth....but I don't want smooth water spots, I want zero waterspots. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am going crazy trying to lift these spots and having no luck. Thanx
    -Sean

Rookie

Default Re: water spots on a black car

I have a black svt 5 door.
    Try this:
    #1. Spray shampoo allover the car, including wheels to soak.
    #2 Shampoo wash with a mitt, start wit roof and then move lower,do windows ( don't forget to raise the wipers) and mirrors, don't wash wheels.
    #3 Rinse with mitt, poor water on or around mitt as you do circular motion (same as if you were washing); start with roof and move lower.
    #4 Just plain hose the car with clean water, but don't spray- the water must pour out of the hose like if you were pouring yourself some vodka into a glass. This may take awhile.
    #5 Dry up the car with a soft fluffy towel. Circular motion starting on the roof, than trunk, than hood, than windows and sides.
    #6 Shampoo wash wheels and tires with a Scotch Bright ( could be a different brand) dish-wash pad that has one side spongey and one for scrub. Try not to overspray water on freshly washed sides.
    #7 Rinse wheels and tires
    #8 Open doors and clean the jams with your favorite spray bottle detailer and paper towels.
    #9 Shine-up the tires.
    #10 Windex your windows and mirrors.
    #11 Lower the wipers.
    Total about 45 minutes.

Rookie

Paper towels = Bad!
    Windex = Bad!

Using any ordinary "soft fluffy towel" on your paint will leave swirls (also known as micro-marring). use only high quality 100% cotton terry towels (not bath towels) or microfiber towels.

There's also a good chance that these water spots you're seeing are etched into the paint. Etched water spots can't simply be washed away. If that's what it is, you'll need to polish it.

Senior TEAM Member

I have heard that wet sandding may take care of this. You might consider taking it to a paint shop and get there recommendations

TEAM Member

You defineitly have an etch in your clear coat 2 options. Because if they have not come out yet with what you did it's an etch. Polish pure polish nothing with a wax in it Meguiars, Zaino, Mother's would be good, No one step combo polishes either. You want to polish out the spots. Option 2 take it to a professional and have it wet sanded make sure you use a reputable detailer, prepare to spens upwards of a buck 25 for a quality job by a professional and ask to see pictures.

Rookie

Wetsanding is WAY overboard. Etching is never that deep that it requires wetsanding... a medium to heavy cut polish should remove it easily.

I have heard that wet sandding may take care of this. You might consider taking it to a paint shop and get there recommendations
    yes, if you wet sand with 3000 grit and buff, it will just take enough clear off to get a smooth finish. it will get rid of the water spots and you will have one helluva finish

trust me on this

you might also want to invest in a chamois....

you MUST dry your car everytime you wash it....

let this be a lesson

Senior TEAM Member

let this be a lesson

TEAM Member

let this be a lesson
    Is this a joke? It has nothing to do with me not drying my car. It has to do with rogue grass sprinklers that are pointed towards the street. Then they dry in the hot Hawaii sun and there is nothing I can do about it. I guess I could have swerved into on-coming traffic Anyways...I did get the spots out. I washed, claybared, then I poilished with Mothers cleaner wax until my arms felt like they were going to fall off. End result: water spots are no more thanx for all the help

TEAM Member

You don't need to wax until your arms are going to fall off. Thats way too much work. Go and get yourself a Porter Cable DAP Model 7424 and some Sonus Foam Pads from Autopia.org. It makes detailing sooooo much easier. Also, claybar down and strip all wax off and try using some Blackfire Cleaner/Polish and then Blackfires Paint Sealant. That will help with those annoying sprinklers. It has in my case anyway.

TEAM Member

Sounds like you washed your car in the sun.Everyone does it
    once.Once.

this is what you need for wetsanding water spots out!

1. You will need 3000 grit sandpaper w/ soft sanding block.
    (or if you have a D.A. sander use that.....it's faster)

2. A bucket of water and a spray bottle of water.

3. A buffer or orbital polisher w/ buffing pad

4. Meguiars Diamond Cut Compound

Now what do you do???

-Start off soaking the 3000 grit in a bucket of water for 15 minutes.

-Start sanding in a back and forth motion towards the front to back in short, fast strokes. Be sure not to get close to edges or the black plastic. Leave a little space, because if you get too close to the plastic, you will never buff it out. If you get too close to the edges, you may also never buff it out.

-KEEP THE SANDPAPER WET @ ALL TIMES W/ THE SPRAY BOTTLE.

- When the whole car is sanded, wipe off all the "white streaks" and you will notice the car has a slight haze. If you can still see the spots, sand a little more.

-Once the car is sanded, get out the buffer and go to town!

-note: when using the buffer, hold the pad FLAT! If you turn it @ an angle, you will have what we call "holograms".
    (ever walk by a car and notice scratches that move down the car like a hologram....thats from the wrong buffing technique.)

-Don't worry about using 3000 grit sand paper....it's like sanding w/ toilet paper.....it's the fail safe sandpaper.

If anyone has anymore questions about this process....email me and i'll help you out.

zetecgt@aol.com

Dave
    Trained by Meguiar's!!!!

Rookie

People are way to quick to recommend wetsanding. It should be a last resort, or not done at all if you don't know what you're doing. Try getting a decent random orbital buffer and a quality paint cleaner. I've had great luck with Meguiors body scrub. Apply the cleaner with the buffer(use a damp bonnet) using firm pressure. Buff off the cleaner and check the results. Repeat if needed.

People are way to quick to recommend wetsanding. It should be a last resort, or not done at all if you don't know what you're doing. Try getting a decent random orbital buffer and a quality paint cleaner. I've had great luck with Meguiors body scrub. Apply the cleaner with the buffer(use a damp bonnet) using firm pressure. Buff off the cleaner and check the results. Repeat if needed.
    ya, but if the spots have etched too deep into the clear....wetsanding is the only method.

keep in mind too that i'm offering a method that uses verrrry fine sand paper.

You can also skip using the 2000 grit and use the 3000 grit through the whole process if you feel that the 2000 is too risky.

The 3000 allows you to monitor the clear a little better because there is less chance to burn the paint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast