Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Top Speed Performance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy scratches and swirls

i have a lot of scratches and swirls in my paint is there any options other than a whole respray to make it look any better. will waxing help?
    Chris

Rookie

Default Re: scratches and swirls

waxing will help a little bit, but you really need a good buff job.

Depending on how deep the scratches are, A PROFESSIONAL DETAILER can try to wetsand and buff the nasty ones.

They can also try to machine polish the swirls out. I would actually try that before going to a machine buff.

Since your car is black, you will have to do a 3 stage polish/buff job on it anyway.

If you were in my neck of the woods, I'd hook you up...

dave.
    Lacks Drop.

Senior TEAM Member

Try the meguires swirl remover. Apply it with a buffer and remove it with a microfiber towel. It does wonders on a black car.
    "Why dont you go shave your balls you dusty old fart! "
    Turbo Steeda Focus #42- 2001
    89 Merkur Xr4TI
    I am the Turbo Princess

TEAM Member

my car was full of swirls when i got it, heres what it looks like now.. multi speed dewalt buffer, foam pad and some polish

try and use the swirl remover, but like everybody said before..its gunna need a buff job

thanks for the help when i ever get a day off work im gonna spend all day detailing it. i cant wait to get it all cleaned up
    Chris

Thumbs up Re: scratches and swirls

oh yeah that is one super clean focus you got pbsvt02 i hope i can get mine lookin that clean.
    Chris

Rookie

just like the song says, "Black cars look better in the shade" All black cars look great straight outta the booth, but after the first wash with a brush/sponge it's screwed. hope u have a good powerpolisher.

TEAM Member

I am a professional Painter @ a ford plant the best way to remove swirls and sctraches is like someone said a 3 step process.
    First wet sand area with 1500 or 2000 wet sand paper
    then used a wool pad with polish to buff out sand marks, then use a foam orbital buffer to remove swirl marks.... Have Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Slick773
    I am a professional Painter @ a ford plant the best way to remove swirls and sctraches is like someone said a 3 step process.
    First wet sand area with 1500 or 2000 wet sand paper
    then used a wool pad with polish to buff out sand marks, then use a foam orbital buffer to remove swirl marks.... Have Fun
    Please be advised........

If you wetsand or make a habit of wetsanding, sooner or later you'll burn through the clear.....ESPECIALLY on a factory finish.

If you have the need to wetsand MINOR swirls, then please just use 3000 grit. 2000 can be safe if used in moderation....

You can successfully remove SOME light scratches and swirls without sanding, but you must have good rotory buffing skills as well as polishing skills.

On a black car, you'd better hope that your skills are better than average....

This is a Porsche Carrera Turbo we detailed. See any swrils? Nope! Didn't think so.

This car was swirled up from improper washing and we removed ever single surface mar and swirl with just polish:

(A 3 step is for worse cases of course.....)

dave.
    Lacks Drop.

TEAM Member

Black cars are always tough. It's probably the best looking color when it's perfect, but it never stays perfect for long it seems. For your basic schmuck, like me, I use meguire's deep crystal 3 stage polish\wax either by hand or with a random orbit buffer. It does a nice job removing 90 plus percent of swirls and scratches and is all user friendly suff. I'm always too paranoid to use any serious buffers since I worry about burning the paint and all that good stuff. A good rule of thumb is: if you can feel the scratch with a finger nail, it's thru the clear. If not, you can probably polish it out.
    WANT TO BUY: 17x7" Mille Miglia Ravia

Rookie

Hope you don't mind me joining in ... I have a 2000 ford focus in silver metallic which I've kept in very good condition, but whilst away on a business trip some family members decided to treat me so when I got home they'd done a thorough wash

.. except on dirty areas they'd used --wait for it-- a (mild-medium?) kitchen limescale remover, and unknown cloths. I now appear to have quite a lot of areas of the car that looks rather scratched as in surface scratches but a bit like a kitchen scouring pad mostly on lower parts of doors and often a combo of circular and straight (they were cleaning the oil/gunk.. I normally use wd40....)

The problem looks to be abrasion rather than chemical -- I do know they thoroughly washed afterwards.

I've posted some photos here -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/organiz...57604609991249

I'm figuring out the next course of action. I could try some off the shelf scratch-x or t-cut metallic, or not bother and just regularly wax, but I'm considering going to a a professional for advice/work.

ANy thoughts on the scratches? Is this recoverable do you think? What's a fair price? Around 300 UKP? (the relative feels really bad about it and has offered to pay). Best way to be sure of getting a good professional? Or is it worth trying something basic myself first?
    Nigel Jones
    ]

Rookie

Oops - fairly new to flickr sharing too

Try http://www.flickr.com/photos/cherryb...7604609991249/
    Nigel Jones
    ]

Quote Originally Posted by planetf1
    Oops - fairly new to flickr sharing too

Try http://www.flickr.com/photos/cherryb...7604609991249/
    Holy hell buddy!

I would start with a good compound buffing, then a deep machine polish.

It will take some work to get those out, so I would really recommend a pro to get those out.

Atleast your car is silver and that will help hide the marring.

dave.
    Lacks Drop.

Senior TEAM Member

ehh i would be suprise if you got that out with just a compound but i cant say because i cannot see it in person.
    03 Comp Orange SVTF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast