Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FJ Gear Store

Default Optimum Opti-Seal and Opti-Coat Demo (Vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj1mNrc6IIc

Hey guys.

I just detailed BrianEvo9's car again yesterday and decided to shoot some videos of how well his car resists water.

Ron Harris applied the Opti-Coat last summer when we were testing it out and even to this day is protecting his surface.

I also added a coat of Opti-Seal which is a spray on sealant I use with every detail.

Just watch this. It's amazing at how his car sheds water.

**Note that Opti-Coat has not been released to the general public yet. Only a few detailers in the country can get it since it's still in its testing stages.

dave.
    Last edited by Redlight; Feb 25, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
    Lacks Drop.

Default Re: Optimum Opti-Seal and Opti-Coat Demo (Vid)

And here is my Opti-Seal Demo.....with a bunch of yacking :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIWU0...eature=channel

dave.
    Lacks Drop.

I Now Post Stupid **** Jibberish18's Avatar

Dave I'm sort of excited about this stuff. I'd really like to try it out come this spring or later (whenever it's available) and see how it works. My girlfriends car probably has the best paint that I know of so if I can get get even 6 months of out of this stuff, that would be fabulous.
    "If You Never Had The Bad Times, How Would You Know You Had The Good Times?" -DEATH

Quote Originally Posted by Jibberish18
    Dave I'm sort of excited about this stuff. I'd really like to try it out come this spring or later (whenever it's available) and see how it works. My girlfriends car probably has the best paint that I know of so if I can get get even 6 months of out of this stuff, that would be fabulous.
    The Opti-Seal is available, but the Opti-Coat is not.

Optimum is only releasing Opti-Coat to certain detailers around the country for beta testing.

I know a lot of detailers are getting a bit "ancy" over the Opti-Coat.

If you want Opti-Seal, you can get it for a good price here:

http://www.topoftheline.com/spray-wax.html

It only takes about 1oz. to do a whole car. The product really does go a LONG way.

The Optimum Car Wax is the same type of product. Spray it on, wipe it in, and walk away.

You can also use the OPT Car Wax and Opti-Seal on black plastics without the fear of getting white residue as well.

dave.
    Lacks Drop.

WTF!?
    The Opti-Coat was applied last summer, but he JUST applied Opti-Seal before that demonstration!!!!
    My Brazillian ivory carnuba sheds water like that, especially when I JUST APPLY IT!

Show me that water demo on a year old application only, if you want to impress me...lol

Also, the way that product evaporates like that, tells me it uses an awful lot of petroleum distalates. Which probably isn't conducive to allowing the product to be layered...which doesn't add any extra protection, but simply wastes product...the petroleum products are probably removing the previous application everytime you use it...

There is a reason why almost every paint protection product is a wipe on/wipe off affair...you get more 'product' than evaporates in the bottle!
    Last edited by WuNgUn; Feb 26, 2009 at 12:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyKrackSVT
    ...go threw your posts and see who can't spell retard..
    http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-metric/160510.png
    http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-metric/160577.png

Quote Originally Posted by WuNgUn
    WTF!?
    The Opti-Coat was applied last summer, but he JUST applied Opti-Seal before that demonstration!!!!
    My Brazillian ivory carnuba sheds water like that, especially when I JUST APPLY IT!

Show me that water demo on a year old application only, if you want to impress me...lol

Also, the way that product evaporates like that, tells me it uses an awful lot of petroleum distalates. Which probably isn't conducive to allowing the product to be layered...which doesn't add any extra protection, but simply wastes product...the petroleum products are probably removing the previous application everytime you use it...

There is a reason why almost every paint protection product is a wipe on/wipe off affair...you get more 'product' than evaporates in the bottle!

I applied Opti-Seal before the Demo.

Ron Harris applied the Opti-Coat to the paint June of 2008. It's now February of 2009.

People who are using Opti-Coat are seeing protection and water shed like this for up to 4 years after application. You don't see vids of that because Opti-Coat is still not produced. There are only 5-8 detailers in the US that can get samples and those people test products for Optimum. I was lucky enough to be friends with one of them.

When OC becomes more widespread, you'll see these videos, but at the moment, it hasn't been in enough hands to generate a lot of videos.

It was originally called Optimum Product X so that it could stay under wraps from other companies.

The only reason Opti-Seal was on that panel is because I demoed the Opti-Seal for the video in the second post. I made a series of videos while detailing this car. (I have 3 more to edit and upload)

I'm also not going to lie and say that I didn't apply OS. I want to be as accurate as I can when I make a video and I never want to mislead.

Next, Brazilian Carnuba will not protect more than 1 month. It offers great shine and a smooth feeling because of the oils and additives, but it falls flat on its face in a longevity test.

I want to address this seperately for a reason.

I'm not a chemist, but Dr. David G, who makes Optimum is. I know HEAVY Petroleum Distillates can wear down clear coat over time, but in all honesty, I do not know what the ingredient is that causes it to flash.

When you open the bottle of Opti-Seal, it smells like rubbing alcohol.

And finally, about the "layering" statement. You're absolutely right. Layering is a waste of product with Optimum....and that is a double edged sword in your thought process.

See, the thing is that Opti-Seal doesn't NEED to be layerd like most conventional carnuba and silicone waxes. Opti-Seal lasts up to 8 months as long as you don't use harsh chemicals or detergents (what most drive in carwashes use). If you are smart in your washing process, you'll be very happy with the product.

Opti-Seal is a topical sealant and is not meant to shine like a Show Wax. Opti-Seal will not fill in fine marring on the surface. It's meant to PROTECT and shed water.

OPT Car Wax (OCW) is very similar except it doesn't evaporate like OS. You have to rub it on to activate it and then it dries. That provides 5 month protections and is full of synthetic polymers.

I wish that I could have mentioned all this in the video too. Next time, I'll be sure to write a script so I don't do endless babbling in my vids

It only takes 1oz. of Opti-Seal to do your whole car. Measure one ounce out with the wax you use and try to get that to do your whole car.....

dave.
    Last edited by Redlight; Feb 26, 2009 at 1:40 PM.
    Lacks Drop.

Quote Originally Posted by zetecgt
    Ron Harris applied the Opti-Coat last summer when we were testing it out and even to this day is protecting his surface
    I think the above statement is misleading...how do WE know if the product protected for a whole year when you then state...

Quote Originally Posted by zetecgt
    I also added a coat of Opti-Seal which is a spray on sealant I use with every detail.
    This was my major beef...

I don't know of any product that lasts for more than a few months, nevermind a year or better...

Also, to be able to layer a product is beneficial in two ways...first, and most obviously, the thicker the protection, the more protection you have...
    I typically put 3 layers of sealant on my finish before I start layering the carnuba...

Secondly, more layers adds a 'quality', depth and shine to the cars finish...something just not possible, I'm sure, with 1oz of product over an entire car that can't be layered...no comparison.

I wasn't pushing carnuba as a protectant...I just wanted to say that ANY decent product, right after application, is going to shed water like that...

If you want to say it's good for a whole year, then you'll need to protect your panel, wait a year and shoot another vid...after which, I'm sure you'll still get some nah-sayers

I think the above statement is misleading...how do WE know if the product protected for a whole year when you then state...

This was my major beef...
    That is fair enough and hopefully some better videos will come out that help my case, in the near future.

If you'll look back at my thread on Coatings, you'll see the Aston Martin Wheel.

That wheel was coated 4 months ago from the time that the video was posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFTn0eRtCdU

Waxes and sealants do not last more than a few days on wheels simply because of the heat. Test it yourself and see.

If the Opti-Coat has lasted 4 months on wheels, then it's proven its ability to protect IMO.

I was there during the video of the Aston Martin wheel, and that was Ron Harris who made that video.

I don't know of any product that lasts for more than a few months, nevermind a year or better...
    Optimum OS lasts 8 months and Optimum Car Wax lasts 5 months. That's well documented and provable with any internet search. Most Over the counter sealants last about 5 months anyway.

Opti-Coat, like I said, has been documented to last 4 years, but the problem is that it's also been under lock and key for the past 5 years. Its just now (in the past 2 years) been let out of the bag for beta testing by some of the nations top detailers, two of which are here in San Antonio.

It is not yet for consumer consumption, but if you frequent Autopia, Optimum forums, Detail City, or MobileWorks there is no doubt you've seen discussions over O.C. and for the majority, the detailers who have tried it, love it.

There are few people who question it like you do. That's fine. People like you put a product through its paces.

I'm not buddy buddy with Dr G. at OPT, but I am buddies with a couple of his testers and I'm convinced that these products are far beyond anything anyone has ever seen before.

Turtle Wax Ice came close...but not good enough IMO.

Also, to be able to layer a product is beneficial in two ways...first, and most obviously, the thicker the protection, the more protection you have...
    I typically put 3 layers of sealant on my finish before I start layering the carnuba...

Secondly, more layers adds a 'quality', depth and shine to the cars finish...something just not possible, I'm sure, with 1oz of product over an entire car that can't be layered...no comparison.
    Remember what you said about wasting product? That's how I feel about layering waxes and sealants. I believe that layered waxes only add depth in the eyes of the person who applied them.

That's just my opinion though.

My reason for saying that is because I've always be taught that wax will not stick to more wax and the more you add, the more work you're doing for no more protection or reflection.

The reflections come from a clean surface. Sure, a quality wax with enhancer oils will make the reflection more vibrant, but I don't believe that MORE wax will make it any shinier.

I've done my own tests over that with NXT, Gold Class, Liquid Glass, and OPT and none have given better results with MORE product...at least from what I've seen. I've used two panels side by side to do the test as well.

If that were truly the case, then we would never have to Polish the paint. We could just slap a bunch of wax on it be done with it....but that's not the case.

I wasn't pushing carnuba as a protectant...I just wanted to say that ANY decent product, right after application, is going to shed water like that...

If you want to say it's good for a whole year, then you'll need to protect your panel, wait a year and shoot another vid...after which, I'm sure you'll still get some nah-sayers
    Of course. Nay-Sayers are a dime a dozen. It's easier to doubt the ability of a good product than to actually do your research on it to form a solid opinion.

What I post about Opti-Coat is a mixture of what I've seen with my own eyes and what I've been told by the people who are privileged enough to get their hands on it.

The product has a little more growing to do before it gets released...and I'm waiting for that day because when it does, I'm buying it without a doubt because I've seen what it'll do.

I really wish I could get my hands on some and do a PURE test to document how well the Opti-Coat protects, but I'll leave that to the guys who are lucky enough to test it themselves.

dave.
    Last edited by Redlight; Feb 26, 2009 at 4:46 PM.
    Lacks Drop.

Cool...thanks for the well thought out response. Not many would respond to my posts with respect and calmness like you have! lol

I'll be looking forward to hearing more about this product for sure...sounds very promising!

Cool...thanks for the well thought out response. Not many would respond to my posts with respect and calmness like you have! lol

I'll be looking forward to hearing more about this product for sure...sounds very promising!
    Yeah, I love a good detailing discussion. No need to make it uncivil for nothing..

I'm just trying to get some info out there about Opti-coat.

Time will tell if it does take off like everyone is anticipating.

I can relate to your comments about it because before I saw it with my own eyes, I thought it was a bunch of hype. I even thought that about the Optimum Car Wax.

I mean, come one...a spray wax that lasts 5 months was unheard of at the time....but sure enough, I was proved wrong.

dave.
    Lacks Drop.

Rookie

Looks like it works very good. My only question i have is that is kinda like a drying method of using low presure water to run it off of the vehicles finish. It also helps that the demo is being done on a fender where it is stright down. The know the other vehicle shows it didn't run off nearly as good but the other vehicle looked dirty and i don't know when the last time the other vehicle seen a treatment of wax or sealer of any sort. I know most great sealer will run water off the panel pretty good. Yes, it does look like it works great with all that said.

Rookie

p.s Nice video i always like looking at diffrent products. Do you know when this is going to be put on the market?

WTF!?

Hello, I am not the creator of Opti-Coat but in a nutshell I gave birth to the idea some years ago (Opti-Seal came from the efforts of Opti-Coat) so I have been using it the longest of anyone and can say without hesitation that it lasts (when applied properly) for over 3 years. I had it on a Maserati for close to 4 years before it was sold.

Opti-Coat is not oil based such as waxes. If that be the case then it would not evaporate as it does. So Opti-Seal can be layered because it cross links (although on a much smaller scale than paint) but waxes, which are oil based, cannot be layered.

Waxes cannot add protection in the sense of adding more layers creates a film build, same goes with polymer sealants. Opti-Coat though is different as it is very close to a polyurethane. In other words Opti-Coat is like liquid clear coat and can actually add film build to the finish.

So different products for different purposes.

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Focus_On_This07
    p.s Nice video i always like looking at diffrent products. Do you know when this is going to be put on the market?
    It's out but only for pro detailers. I believe Optimum requires proof of this in the form of a signed release form.

Opti-Coat is basically a permanent coating and if applied to an area by mistake you could have a great deal of difficulty in removing it.

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
    It's out but only for pro detailers. I believe Optimum requires proof of this in the form of a signed release form.

Opti-Coat is basically a permanent coating and if applied to an area by mistake you could have a great deal of difficulty in removing it.

Anthony
    This is true. Thanks for coming in and adding more info Anthony.

dave.
    Lacks Drop.