Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Top Speed Performance

Question Bypassing the fuel rail pressure sensor

I've been having an annoying problem with the fuel pressure sensor that is mounted to the fuel rail on my Duratec. It seems as though they are designed to read vacuum, and use the vacuum signal to provide the required fuel pressure to the rail, but since my car is boosting 18psi now, it tends to throw engine codes when I stomp on it (likely because the ECU thinks its reading some impossible pressure and therefore broken).

Is there a way to bypass this sensor or delete it altogether? How would the fuel system need to be designed in order to do this? I was told to get a new sensor, and that some sensors are more forgiving than others, but this sensor is brand new and it's throwing codes when i boost hard, so I'm reluctant to purchase a new sensor hoping the issue will cure itself..
    Power: electric supercharger, tornado intake, cherry bomb muffler, platinum cross fire plugs (more to come)

Default Re: Bypassing the fuel rail pressure sensor

You may have a fuel pump thats starting to go bad or just not keeping up anymore. You should do a 3rd gear WOT datalog and send it in to Randy for him to analyze.
    2004 Golf R32 Turbo -- (375fwhp @12psi) My daily driver
    2004 Golf R32 -- (231fwhp) Race car/street car (AWD Kicks Butt)
    1993 Corrado VR6 Race Car -- Sitting for the past 8 years

I AM THE MOFREAKINGMAN!

yeah do a data log and make sure your fuel pump is square, but most likely its the same issue i deal with, it throws the code P0191, which is excesive fuel pressure in the fuel rail, i just always think to myself, im boosting 20psi, no duh theirs excessive fuel pressure

yah, clint I was hoping you'd chime in. I remember Randy telling me you had dealt with the same issue. I'm getting the same code, P0191

I imagine the fuel pump is ok since Randy didn't mention the datalogs looking odd after I brought the car back in the second time for a retune. I remember the code coming up right away. But I'll do a datalog anyway just to make sure. No sense in risking it i guess.

Thanks Vik and Clint
    Power: electric supercharger, tornado intake, cherry bomb muffler, platinum cross fire plugs (more to come)

Senior TEAM Member

I'll sell you a return style fuel rail, and just get rid of that FRP sensor all together. That won't help the CEL but would be a way better setup for a boosted car.
    '02 Liquid Gray ZX3
    Ported Focus Central Head, Comp Stage III Cams, CFM Cam Gears. Ported Contour Intake Manifold, Aluminum Contour Throttle Body, Custom Short Ram Intake, Underdrive Pulley, 4-1 Header, 2 1/2" flexback exhaust, Sniper Commando Tuned, A/C delete, B&M Short Throw Shifter, Eibach Springs on KYB AGX's, SVT Cluster, American Racing Outlaw II's

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid_02_ZX3 View Post
    I'll sell you a return style fuel rail, and just get rid of that FRP sensor all together. That won't help the CEL but would be a way better setup for a boosted car.
    As far as I know you must have the fuel pressure sensor with a returnless fuel system. If you go to a return style you can delete it, I did. and I'm running great.
    Top Speed Top Mount GT3582r 3.5" dp 4" aluminum exhaust 314whp 245wtq on only 9psi
    561whp 434wtq @ 25psi 111octane 538whp @27psi on 93octane
    Best et 11.40
    Best 1/4 mile mph 132 on 93 octane
    My Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid_02_ZX3 View Post
    yah, that's what I would like to do actually. can you PM me with the details of it?

Jared, what is all involved with setting up a return-style?

a pump. a new feed line. use the stock feed as the return. a FPR. random fittings and line.

bryan at top speed has a shopping list jared sent me that i told bryan to put together. but thats for a zetec but i cant imagine the duratec taking much different then a duratec rail modded to be return style.
    2001 Infra-Red ZX3. R.I.P. Old Engine (613whp/505ftlbs@35psi) New One Being Built
    2002 CD Silver SVT. Street Car. Mostly Stock. 1 of 513 made.
    Ambition is priceless It's something that's in your veins And I put that on my name.