Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FSWerks

Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Progress and a Sunburn...an ongoing build

Senior TEAM Member

Default Progress and a Sunburn...an ongoing build

So, after 18 months of sitting in storage and untouched, I have been able to tinker here and there, but nothing serious until this weekend. Timing belt and cams got done Friday, but Today was the big work. The DP and intercooler piping.

This is how it sat almost 2 years ago with my old turbo kit on it...

In storage disassembled(built engine installed and cleaning up engine bay...not that it did much good after sitting for 18 months... :

This will be my 3rd Turbo 'setup' ive had on this car. I see something new and HAVE to make changes. The manifold, I'm sure you recognize, but I had to modify the DP some to fit my setup alittle...and the intercooler piping, run reverse from the 'typical' orientation. One step closer to completion. I hope to have it done in the next month or so and up to TS to tune.

My inspiration/model: (slightly modified)

First pic is my initial welding attempt using Flux-core wire and 'winging it'..not too big a deal because its going to be wrapped anyway...

Pictures from todays work:

(note: Second time welding...had a buddy come and show me some basics..with gas, and the rest..trial by fire...and two burns to go with it...damn hot pipes...

We put the MAF down low because it gave us the most straight piping before and after and i like it being tucked out of sight.

Making sure it fits with the headlight in:

Hot side intercooler tucked inside the traction bars:

Full view:

And mach-up with bumper on:

And yes, there is about 2 inches of clearance behind the headlight and about 1/2-3/4 inch on top between the hood.

Now, off to powdercoat and buy new couplers(that fit).

Next weekend:
    Adding a 2nd muffler(magnaflow) to the exhaust and finishing the DP connection...

Still to come: (shooting for completion in 2 months)
    -COP install
    -Finish wire-tuck
    -Traction bar install(completion)
    -J&S install
    -Inpro ST170s back on(have to clean up the lenses and reassemble)
    -Custom Side mirrors remaking another set of the ones i use to have on(see 1st pic)
    -Tuning (Topspeed)
    Last edited by ADUCARAB; Apr 5, 2010 at 7:18 PM.

TEAM Member

Default Re: Progress and a Sunburn...an ongoing build

The top of the wastegate looks like it might make contact with the slam panel when the engine comes off load and rocks forward a touch.

Certainly getting busy!

Keep it up...
    ST170 turbo
    New Engine: WRC internals, ARP studs, CFM oil pump, MSD coil/wires, water injection, ported/polished head, Area-Six cam, Pro-Alloy intercooler, GT fuel pump, 60lb injectors, JEK manifold, GT30, AEM wideband, Blitz SBC i-Color SPEC-R, ???bhp, ??psi peak, ??psi held (running in)
    ATB diff, AP Racing 4-pots, 335mm discs, H&R coilovers

is REALLY worried about very little things... bmylez's Avatar

Nice man. That's a man's turbo right there. Your welds got exponentially better on just the 2nd try, heh.

I say shoot for sooner than 2 months! J&S takes...15 min. COP won't really help much with power. Headlights are easy. Wire tuck probably takes time.

The best part is that you are so close to TS.
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - broken/sold
    2002 Mustang GT - sold
    2002 SVTF - sold
    2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Cursed
    2003 350Z Track - basically stock, and it runs

Senior TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by Simon170 View Post
    The top of the wastegate looks like it might make contact with the slam panel when the engine comes off load and rocks forward a touch.

Certainly getting busy!

Keep it up...
    That wont be a problem. I have a special treat waiting for me in NJ I have to pick up later this month that will create about another inch of space there. Plus, I have all VF mounts and an ingalls stiffy, so the engine really wont be moving, but i see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by bmylez View Post
    Nice man. That's a man's turbo right there. Your welds got exponentially better on just the 2nd try, heh.

I say shoot for sooner than 2 months! J&S takes...15 min. COP won't really help much with power. Headlights are easy. Wire tuck probably takes time.

The best part is that you are so close to TS.
    Yup, Ive kept the same turbo through all the kits...its the original t3/t04e that Econorocketzx3 used on his car back in the day when he was breaking new ground on a stock zetec turbo focus on the drag strip. I think he still ranks in the top 10 for drag times. His kit was my first 'real' kit...had an aerocharger on before that.

I say 2 months cuz that about how much longer I'll be in NC before I move again... I'm rushing to get it done ASAP, believe me. I think the biggest chunk was done today.

Awesome.

Just sayin, though...you could have the car tuned WELL before a lot of the other mods. Who needs headlights, COP, wire tuck, or mirrors when you're pushin 500 to the ground?
    2002 Mustang GT - sold
    2002 SVTF - sold

Senior TEAM Member

^^very true. well...COP i need...sold my coilpack and wires ...but neverthe less, i see what you mean...Should be able to turn it over and see if it runs in the next week, so we'll have to see.

What's estimated completion of COP?

From my searching, it looks like econorocket ran a 13.38? I didn't see any faster times. That's nice and all but judging from the size of your turbo, you can hit 12s no prob.
    2002 Mustang GT - sold
    2002 SVTF - sold

Senior TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by bmylez View Post
    What's estimated completion of COP?

From my searching, it looks like econorocket ran a 13.38? I didn't see any faster times. That's nice and all but judging from the size of your turbo, you can hit 12s no prob.
    well, i can finish it now by soldering the wires to the coil, but i wanted to find the harness connector for a clean look. dealer wanted 18 bucks a piece for 4 of them.... so, off to the junk yard.... i might just end up soldering it, and add shrink wrap to make it look pretty.

Ive got almost everything done to this thing possible, minus a return fuel setup, so although ive only tracked the car one day(207hp, 14.7), i would sure like some impressive results...both hp and potential 1/4 times...(although the latter might take some time to get good at)

low 12s should be easy with a slick.
    BadAss Turbo'd Focus
    ^old and busted^
    2011 Mustang GT, Brembos, 400a, Kona Blue.
    Bolt ons 440hp/385tq
    ^new go fast car^

Ok, without return fuel, 400whp is the kinda safe limit. CFM made 454 with stock fuel system, big injectors, and KB BAP, but that's scary. Also, you would always have to have at least 3/4 tank of gas to make sure you didn't lean out. 400 will get you low 12s if you're decent and high 11s with practice. Jared estimates 420whp when he ran 11.4 so....
    2002 Mustang GT - sold
    2002 SVTF - sold

Senior TEAM Member

well honestly, although high hp would be cool for bragging rights, the fastest car i ever drove was a stock 2000? Z28 camaro(aside form my car when it was 207), so i would think by everyone elses statements, that 300-350 would be more then enough for me....but 400 would be nice too

300whp in a lightly stripped out ZX3 is brutal. Yours kinda looks full interior, though? Still fast.

400 allows you to run with the really big boys...like stock C6 vettes and the like. Camaros would become laughable. Mustangs wouldn't be worth your gas. Lightly modded Evos and STIs would also make you giggle as you toyed with them at 3/4 throttle.

400 is my ultimate goal. Sorry, just dreamin right now...
    2002 Mustang GT - sold
    2002 SVTF - sold

Senior TEAM Member

yeah , i pretty much have full interior. no back seat, but i think the sub/amp make up for that weight.. . I guess we'll just have to wait and see

Senior TEAM Member

Update:

Got the COP all wired up on the plate, now just need to splice it into the harness. Will have pics up in a little bit.

BTW, anyone know a good place to get quality fasteners from? bolts, studs, etc, that arent the 'cheap' home depot kind?

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by ADUCARAB View Post
    I have all VF mounts and an ingalls stiffy, so the engine really wont be moving, but i see your point.
    Cool, glad to hear it won't be an issue.

Is the Ingalls mount good? Do you know if it will mount to an SVT?

I'm after something that will stop the motor from mving around to quickly and breaking things. I dont wanna use the VF mounts as I've heard they cause mental amounts of vibration.
    ST170 turbo
    New Engine: WRC internals, ARP studs, CFM oil pump, MSD coil/wires, water injection, ported/polished head, Area-Six cam, Pro-Alloy intercooler, GT fuel pump, 60lb injectors, JEK manifold, GT30, AEM wideband, Blitz SBC i-Color SPEC-R, ???bhp, ??psi peak, ??psi held (running in)
    ATB diff, AP Racing 4-pots, 335mm discs, H&R coilovers

Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast