Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FJ Gear Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Powerworks Supercharger?

Anyone know much about these? Reliability, ease of install, problems, actual dyno sheets/etc?? Anything?

Trying to decide between upgrading the SVT for some real power (She's bone stock right now) or just trade her in on an 06 Mustang GT.

TEAM Member

Default Re: Powerworks Supercharger?

From what I've heard Powerworks is top shelf for power, reliability and an OEM type install. There is a jet'r who had his motor blow because of the tune from Powerworks, but I think they made good on it with a new motor and supercharger at their cost and has since resolved this issue. I'd buy one if I had the money. The Jaskson BBK SC is a good second choice as well. All in all, you still won't have the power or endless available parts for the SVTF as you will the 06' GT, but you'd be driving one hell of a fast SVTF that not many others have or can even get.
    2007 Copper Metallic Escape XLS 2.3 5 speed 4x4
    2003 EAP Comp Orange SVT Focus SOLD
    2002 WRX WRB Wagon 4eat stage 2....
    1979 f-150 SWB 4x4 aka "Project Jerk Truck" DONE!
    1969 Vitamine C Orange Dart GTS 340/4speed

Got one. Install is easy but time comsuming, I took my time and did a few other things and got it in in about 23 hours. Had mine retuned because the tune has issues below 4500. As for power, check the sig.
    Whoever said "You can't take it with you when you die" never had tattoos.

how does it drive in comparison to how it did? Worth it, or should I drop the SVTF for a GT? Any problems with the install?

[FJ] Addict

Quote Originally Posted by lopoetve
    how does it drive in comparison to how it did? Worth it, or should I drop the SVTF for a GT? Any problems with the install?

your comparing two completely different types of power, driving, and basically cars.

If you truly do love the SVT, stick with it and boost it. PW's kit is by far the best and most reliable for everyday driving, not to mention the only CARB approved at that power.

A GT would also be great, but then you have to realise u can't compare the two. you'll be moving to a RWD and a V8 two completely different broads. The SVT will out handle the Mustang and be genuingly 'more fun to drive' when boosted. Tho the mustand has huge grins on its side being RWD and a throaty V8.

you need to really think what ur looking for. A PWcharged SVT will definitely give you a rush like a stock stang would in terms of power.

-chris
    Quote Originally Posted by Spatakula View Post
    Putting tint on your car would be like putting baggy pants on a hot chick.
    "Understatement Will Always Triumph Overstatement." - Phacade

Quote Originally Posted by CrUziN4L
    your comparing two completely different types of power, driving, and basically cars.

If you truly do love the SVT, stick with it and boost it. PW's kit is by far the best and most reliable for everyday driving, not to mention the only CARB approved at that power.

A GT would also be great, but then you have to realise u can't compare the two. you'll be moving to a RWD and a V8 two completely different broads. The SVT will out handle the Mustang and be genuingly 'more fun to drive' when boosted. Tho the mustand has huge grins on its side being RWD and a throaty V8.

you need to really think what ur looking for. A PWcharged SVT will definitely give you a rush like a stock stang would in terms of power.

-chris

See, that's the problem... >_< I'll post a response I sent to the guy that got me thinking about the PW kit on the SVT, maybe it'll make some sense...

Quote Originally Posted by at scotty8 from Hardforum
    The problem is...

I miss having a real engine. (BEFORE YOU GO APE****, let me explain )

I'm a born and bred American car guy... It's true I respect and even like some foreign brands, but I'm a detroit steel man. And, above and beyond that, I'm American, brute-force engineering led... and that means big ol' V8's. I MISS my firebird so much, and the 74 Nova I worked on... There's nothing like the sweet sound of a big throaty V8 singing it's song... It's the sound of fun... There's something viceral about it... something that touches some of us deep down, calls to us, and makes you want to go out and just DRIVE.

I LOVE my Focus. I romped on it today... really got into it in places, tore up some corners, and had a blast driving... but it's the difference between the full on bellow of a V8 at full song, or the spitefull buzzing of an I4 (even a well tuned one).

It's a tossup between the rarity and fun of a small car with a crapload of power, and a true American beast... with all the heritage and story behind that charging pony on its breast.

Scotty, you've made me think about it at least, and my friends would jump at trying the PW kit... and I agree, it'd be hella fun and stuff... but it would still be that little 4 cyl up there, and not the great ol' 8... And that's what makes me pause.
    I LOVE my SVT. I got exactly the options I wanted, at a great price (after 2 years and 25k miles, I'm going to lose only 5k in depreciation ), and I've had a blast with it... but now I'm done with college, out on my own, and somehow I find myself looking for more at times. I wish there were ways to make the SVT engine sound and feel like the V8's do... and to give it that feel that the Mustang has...

TEAM Member

I suppose do a V8 conversion for the SVT? That would seem to make you happy, you would have a Mustang engine in your focus, so you would have the actual sound and feel.
    "would be faster than a Mustang of course considering the weight difference though lol!"
    -Will
    2006 Subaru WRX, Silver
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2126331

Senior TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will007
    I suppose do a V8 conversion for the SVT? That would seem to make you happy, you would have a Mustang engine in your focus, so you would have the actual sound and feel.
    "would be faster than a Mustang of course considering the weight difference though lol!"
    The weight difference isn't that huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Will007
    not a chance in hell

Imma boob... nuff said.

just remember at altitude it doesnt take much to beat a stang!!! we lose like 20% due to altitude alone. ur PW will be something to be reckoned with up here.
    There's no place like ::1!!

$3|\|10R 734/\/\ /\/\3/\/\B3R Ph0R L1Ph3

Quote Originally Posted by BlkThunder
    just remember at altitude it doesnt take much to beat a stang!!! we lose like 20% due to altitude alone. ur PW will be something to be reckoned with up here.
    I've already driven it up here... it's still plenty of power. It's mostly a toss up between the heritage and class of the mustang, vs the powerful econo-thing that the SVT would be.

The point isn't always winning the races... the Mustang is far more fun to cruise in, the SVT far more fun to romp on in the mountains.

Imma boob... nuff said.

i dunno then, the more i see 05+ stangs the less i like them. keep in mind i got a 67 sittin in my garage. it just kinda seems like they lost motivation and had to go pick up a board from the 60's. i dunno, its hard to explain. but if i were u id def go wiht the gt cuz the way u talk bout the svt dont sound like its really what u wanna do.
    There's no place like ::1!!

$3|\|10R 734/\/\ /\/\3/\/\B3R Ph0R L1Ph3

Next question: How's the stock clutch going to stand up on this? I'm guessing I'm going to need to replace it...

Senior TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlkThunder
    i dunno then, the more i see 05+ stangs the less i like them. keep in mind i got a 67 sittin in my garage. it just kinda seems like they lost motivation and had to go pick up a board from the 60's. i dunno, its hard to explain.
    Word! I have a '66 Fastback in my garage ...

The OE clutch won't last long w/the PW kit ... but they don't seem to last long anyway. If you are still under warranty, I would push your favorite dealer to perform the TSB clutch fix ... we have had no issues with the TSB clutch.
    '04 PW (#1) Competition Orange SVT 5-door Euro

if they won't, it's definately out of the question. I'm not going to mess with a clutch replacement...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast