Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

fifteen52 | Project ST

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Senior TEAM Member supersonicsvt's Avatar

Wink A MUST MAINTENANCE ITEM: Power Steering fluid flush

I just did mine, in prep for an HPDE at Road Atlanta. I hate to admit it, being a gear head and all, but I've never changed PS fluid in my cars before, and never had a problem. BUT, the chocolate goop that I just flushed (appropriate term!) out of my SVTF was scary! My car has 59k well maintained miles (er, except for the PS fluid!). After 59k street miles (zero racing), the PS fluid was literally, no exaggeration, chocolate syrup.

I am going to run this new Red Line fluid for a while and then flush it again with more Red Line. It only took an hour, and next time prolly 20 minutes, and takes about 2 quarts. Very easy, don't put it off. You can do it all from the reservoir.

If you have a battery charger, hook it up - it will take some of the load off the battery when doing this: Pop the coolant tank out of the way (leave hoses attached), pull the PS reservoir out of the slots (no screws, just rubber grommets) and dump the reservoir fluid in a milk jug. Pull the small return hose and plug the reservoir barb, attach extension hose to the return hose, drop that in the milk jug. Fill the reservoir with new fluid, pull the electrical harness from the ignitor/distributor thingy, and crank the engine for about 5 seconds while turning the wheel. Fill the reservoir and crank again. Repeat the "crank, turn and fill" until the fluid going to the jug is clear and clean - should take a over a quart. On the last crank leave the reservoir barely empty. Put the return hose back on, replace the reservoir, fill it, and replace the coolant tank. Plug the ignitor back in and run the car, turning the wheel. Check the PS fluid level and top it off if ness. DONE!

DO IT!!!!!!
    Last edited by supersonicsvt; Jun 5, 2008 at 9:08 AM.
    DD - '02 Sonic Blue SVT #504 Steeda springs, Koni Sports, 25mm adj RSB
    Track Rat IS BACK!!! - '02 Black SVT H&R race springs, Koni Sports, 25mm RSB, Carbotech brakes, NT01s, 67mm TB, oil & PS coolers, Autopower roll bar, Schroth harnesses, Sparco seats (and "custom" rear bodywork)

Default Re: A MUST MAINTENENCE ITEM: Power Steering fluid flush

I must say. I like your write up. Not bad.

Im just wondering if you have pictures?
    #3052 of 3985
    Full N/A SVT Build

TEAM Member

Okay I'm going to do this today, however, in your write up you say dump it into a milk jug. I do not have one. What do I do.

Quote Originally Posted by COSVT03
    I must say. I like your write up. Not bad.

Im just wondering if you have pictures?
    Yeah, I stood there and thought about it, but I don't have a way to host pics so I couldn't post them anyway. Really tho, the only engineering was the hose extension to get it to the jug. Can you say DUCT TAPE?????
    Track Rat IS BACK!!! - '02 Black SVT H&R race springs, Koni Sports, 25mm RSB, Carbotech brakes, NT01s, 67mm TB, oil & PS coolers, Autopower roll bar, Schroth harnesses, Sparco seats (and "custom" rear bodywork)

Talking Re: A MUST MAINTENENCE ITEM: Power Steering fluid flush

Quote Originally Posted by SVTFocus101
    Okay I'm going to do this today, however, in your write up you say dump it into a milk jug. I do not have one. What do I do.
    Hmmmm...... I guess you'll have to go to Publix or Kroger and get a gallon. The real problem comes next - skim or 2%? Or better yet, I recommend getting the chocolate milk - that way the jug won't change color when you dump the fluid in!!!!!

The question is, can he drink the gallon of milk in under an hour and hold it in?

Any old drain pan works. When we flushed my PS system, we used a plastic bucket, and pulled the hose off of the nozzle on the PS pump, then ran the car for a few seconds to get every last drop out. Messy, but effective. A little PS fluid here and there never hurt anything.
    ((. When someone asks me the cause of a minor injury, like a scrape on my leg,
    .)) I like to tell them something extreme happened. Like I got attacked by a bear.
    ((. They're way more impressed than if I was missing an arm or something.
    .)) Obviously that bear didn't have crap on me.
    ((.
    .))

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by supersonicsvt
    Hmmmm...... I guess you'll have to go to Publix or Kroger and get a gallon. The real problem comes next - skim or 2%? Or better yet, I recommend getting the chocolate milk - that way the jug won't change color when you dump the fluid in!!!!!
    HAHAHA IT was a joke LOL I am sure I could find something to put it into

I do my PS fluid every year (that's with about 36,000 miles of driving). I've heard of racks leaking, and I often wonder whether people who haven't flushed the fluid have inadvertently caused premature failure of the rack.

In any case, the $50 or whatever money you spend is good insurance than spending a few $hundred on a new rack/system.
    Richard
    2002 ZTS | Sangria Red |
    Over 521,000 km and 323,000 miles
    2012 SE Sport | Red Candy | Over 60,000 km and 36,000 miles

[FJ] focaljet - Forum Guidelines - Welcome to the Jet - 2012 Focus - Team Canada - FJ Store - Sponsors - SEARCH

Ray
    Driver > Car

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush
    A little PS fluid here and there never hurt anything.
    Yeah well you've never had it in your ear.

And i agree, this is one of the items that needs to be flushed every now and again.
    I used to have a focus like you. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Intelligence is largely at the mercy of self-control

Roadtrippin | CART | MCA

Senior TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush
    The question is, can he drink the gallon of milk in under an hour and hold it in?

Any old drain pan works. When we flushed my PS system, we used a plastic bucket, and pulled the hose off of the nozzle on the PS pump, then ran the car for a few seconds to get every last drop out. Messy, but effective. A little PS fluid here and there never hurt anything.
    No, no, no. Pull the excitor wire. No need to run the pump at engine speed and make a mess. The idea is to have everything dry in your engine bay so you'll know when you have a real leak.

My Ford Fast Lane advisor told me I needed this done...my fluid is low and chocolatey as well! For $50, I'll get 'er done on the next oil change...
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyKrackSVT
    ...go threw your posts and see who can't spell retard..
    http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-metric/160510.png
    http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-metric/160577.png

I've been changing mine the "slow" way. I drive it to work and back and I use a turkey baster to remove all of the fluid from the reservoir and I refill with fresh fluid...I don't think anyone pointed out that the SVT used ATF in the PS and not PS fluid. My fluid was also chocolate colored and thick and after going through this process with 2 quarts of fluid it is almost completely changed out. Yes this process does take longer and uses more fluid but it is not messy at all.

Gary

TEAM Member

I was todl to use red line ps fluid not atf fluid
    2003 SVT Focus, CD Silver base model SVT, AEM SR, Steeda Strut Brace, Steeda STS, Clear corners, Hella Head Lights, Focus Sport Tune, 67mm TB, SS brake lines, KYB AGX shocks, MBRP Exhaust, Steeda Springs, Screamin Demon Coil & Wires, Focussport SCT tune, Steeda 28.5mm rear sway bar, OZ Record 18's, and Blue Laminex on the headlights and fogs. 3964/3985

^^I can't speak about Redline, but I can tell you that Valvoline Synth PS is not the way to go. Within a couple of days there was a squeeking during any steering load. It feel like rubbing a wet finger on glass sort of. A week later I changed the fluid out and filled with Amsoil ATF that I had in the garage. It took a couple of days to return to normal; no more squeek.

FWIW, I've never read of anyone complaining about Redline PS though.
    Dave 2002SVTFocus #2629
    "...and when the odds are against him and there's d-a-a-ng'rous work to do,
    you betch ur life Speed Racer will see it through;
    Go Speed Racer, go Speed Racer, go Speed Racer GO-O-O!!!"

Senior TEAM Member

I put redline ps fluid in about 60k miles ago. No failures since. It's pretty much required if you do any extended high rpm driving.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast