Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

James Barone Racing

TEAM Member

Default Gas pedal hard to press in

I have recently noticed especially when its cold I step on the gas pedal and it wont go down unless I press it very hard. Also sometimes if I floor it the car starts to hessitate and doesnt wanna take off. Mind u this is usually only when its cold. i have an aftermarket 65mm TB, I sprayed carb clearner in it and it still does it. When its hot outside its fine, but anyways could this be a problem with the TB's butterfly is it time to get a new TB? I bought it used so I dont know the miles on the TB but the spring on it does show rust.
    2003 SVT Focus, CD Silver base model SVT, AEM SR, Steeda Strut Brace, Steeda STS, Clear corners, Hella Head Lights, Focus Sport Tune, 67mm TB, SS brake lines, KYB AGX shocks, MBRP Exhaust, Steeda Springs, Screamin Demon Coil & Wires, Focussport SCT tune, Steeda 28.5mm rear sway bar, OZ Record 18's, and Blue Laminex on the headlights and fogs. 3964/3985

Rookie

Default Re: Gas pedal hard to press in

jus adjust the screw on the throttle body
    steeda intake,tb,steeda sts,xcal2,mbrp exhaust,eibach sportline,carbon fiberhood,orp.screamin demons,udp,agx.front and rear fs stress bar.3 piece wing.vf passenger and engine mounts. powergrid swaybar endlinks. prothane rear sway bushings.stage3 cm & flywheel, vf trans mount

02 svt
    1/4 : 14.4@96 mph
    60' : 2.283

TEAM Member

which one? losen it or tighten?
    2003 SVT Focus, CD Silver base model SVT, AEM SR, Steeda Strut Brace, Steeda STS, Clear corners, Hella Head Lights, Focus Sport Tune, 67mm TB, SS brake lines, KYB AGX shocks, MBRP Exhaust, Steeda Springs, Screamin Demon Coil & Wires, Focussport SCT tune, Steeda 28.5mm rear sway bar, OZ Record 18's, and Blue Laminex on the headlights and fogs. 3964/3985

Senior TEAM Member
    Oak Park, MI behind a 151 induced fireball

Don't want to freak you out, but just giving you a heads-up on what happened to me after my first winter. The pedal had gotten stiff to initially depress, which made it hard to give just a little gas. After that initial resistance, it felt fine, but it never went away. The return springs on my throttle body rusted and broke one at a time. When the last one breaks, you're stuck at WOT. Yeah, it sucked, but it was fortunately 4 miles from the dealership for me.

Hopefully it is just the screw that needs to be adjusted a bit.
    "바보 씨발놈!" - me
    2002 SVT Sonic Blue #96
    AEM SR, FC ORP, Borla Cat-back, Clutchmasters Stage 3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, 17" Anthracite Enkei RSV with Yokohama AVS-ES100, 180F thermostat (really does make a difference).
    A few pics of my car

TEAM Member

ok ill check it out and if it doesnt work ill just get a new one, but do u losen or tighten the screw?

Senior TEAM Member
    Oak Park, MI behind a 151 induced fireball

Quote Originally Posted by j0eyabs
    ok ill check it out and if it doesnt work ill just get a new one, but do u losen or tighten the screw?
    I personally do not know... I've never had to adjust the screw on it, but it's just some trial and error.
    "바보 씨발놈!" - me
    2002 SVT Sonic Blue #96
    AEM SR, FC ORP, Borla Cat-back, Clutchmasters Stage 3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, 17" Anthracite Enkei RSV with Yokohama AVS-ES100, 180F thermostat (really does make a difference).
    A few pics of my car

Senior TEAM Member

A thread like this pops up every year when it starts to get cold - pull off the intake hose and you'll see a small screw that helps to open/close the "butterfly." (I'm going all from memory here) I added a small piece of felt to the striker plate under the screw and never had any more problems. What this effectively does is causes the butterfly not to close fully when you let off the throttle.

What's happening is the bore of the throttle body and the butterfly are expanding/contracting at different rates due to the cold. So, when it get's cold out the butterfly is just a little too big and gets stuck. Try the felt trick - it didn't mess up my idle or MPG. I'll see if I can find one of the old threads too.
    2003 Sonic Blue Focus SVT (#337) - sold

2006 MazdaSpeed6 (pearl white)
    2008 Avalanche (black)

Senior TEAM Member

Here's a link to last year's post:

http://forums.focaljet.com/svt-headq...throttle+stick

And the links I posted last year:

Quote Originally Posted by blucarz
    Some more info here too, same basic principals:

http://forums.focaljet.com/showthrea...ghlight=sticks

And a picture and explanation at the bottom of this page:

http://myfordfocus.com/how-to/65mm.htm

Either back the screw out a little if you can, or put something between the screw and the plate.
    2003 Sonic Blue Focus SVT (#337) - sold

2006 MazdaSpeed6 (pearl white)
    2008 Avalanche (black)