Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FSWerks

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: SVTF Timing Belt WARNING! You better have the right tools ready!

Senior TEAM Member supersonicsvt's Avatar

Default SVTF Timing Belt WARNING! You better have the right tools ready!

Thot it would be useful to post some lessons learnt from the aggravating day of tracking down rare and exotic tools to do routine maintenance - timing belt.

In their infinite idiocity, the engineers at Ford couldn't stand to use fasteners that have been used for centuries. NO, they had to use Torx. Well, says I, I got that beat, I already bought a whole set for removing Ford interiors. But - Ford used a T55 and most sets only go to T50. In rare cases, tool stores locally have a T60 - but not a T55.

So I finally find a T55, hitch hike to buy it ($12!) and get the cover seal off the intake cam gear housing. When inside, I see another unique fastener - an external Torx. And, not the E16 size that I can actually find in a few places, but the E18 which NOBODY has! I finally had to plunk down $60 for a whole set.

So, fair warning is hereby given: Doing the timing belt on the VCT is not the hardest thing to do - FINDING THE !@#$@!(*(*)(*$#@)()(### exotic fastener tools is the hardest.

End rant...........
    DD - '02 Sonic Blue SVT #504 Steeda springs, Koni Sports, 25mm adj RSB
    Track Rat IS BACK!!! - '02 Black SVT H&R race springs, Koni Sports, 25mm RSB, Carbotech brakes, NT01s, 67mm TB, oil & PS coolers, Autopower roll bar, Schroth harnesses, Sparco seats (and "custom" rear bodywork)

Default Re: SVTF Timing Belt WARNING! You better have the right tools ready!

A couple other notes:

The accessory drive belt (serp belt) idler after 70k miles had a shot bearing. Do you know how to remove it, since there isn't enough room between the block and the unibody rail to remove the bolts?? Jack up the engine about a foot?

The sneaky Ford guys put a plastic (what else?) bushing in the middle of the idler bearing. If you pull the bolt out of the idler WITH the bushing still up on the bolt, it allows you to pull out the bolt another 0.020", thus allowing removal of the idler without removing the engine.

Also, after only 70k miles, my valve cover gasket was leaking oil into the plug wells and filling them up. Of course, the local Ford dealer didn't stock it but he could order it - at 20% over retail, of course. THEY DON'T STOCK A #^$%#^%$#^$#^% VALVE COVER GASKET ?!?!?!?!?!

I would normally order everything from Steve of course - but my car is all apart. So I found a dealer about an hour away that Steve sent me to previously who had the parts and really helped me out - had a runner drop them off at my work addy. Except he sent me the wrong gasket and they don't have any of the right ones on hand. So Kevin at Tousley is going to overnight me a couple.

Buy the Ford timing belt tools.

When you are lining up the crankshaft with the cams and you have the Ford line-up tools inserted, spin the crank (CW) to make sure the crank is ON the pin, as in hitting it. THIS IS CRUCIAL! If the belt moves when you tighten up the cam bolts, the crank moves (relative to the cams!) and your alignment is screwed up.

When you spin the engine by hand to check everything, turn it from the crank - NOT the cams. If you spin it from the cams, the belt isn't tight in the right places and screws up the timing. Ask me how I know......

When you open up the intake cam gear VCT housing thing, it will barf oil all over. The manual just says remove the cover. Barf.
    Last edited by supersonicsvt; May 30, 2008 at 9:25 AM.
    Track Rat IS BACK!!! - '02 Black SVT H&R race springs, Koni Sports, 25mm RSB, Carbotech brakes, NT01s, 67mm TB, oil & PS coolers, Autopower roll bar, Schroth harnesses, Sparco seats (and "custom" rear bodywork)

TEAM Member

Okay, I'll bite.... why are you removing the timing gears to do a belt???
    Sal
    2012 Race Red SE 5-door
    2002 Sonic Blue SVT Focus 4098 of 4788 - supercharged -sold :(
    2008 Vista Blue 2 dr Focus SE - wife got in the divorce, lol

Rookie

Sounds like a load of fun... makes me look forward to doing mine soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Power Surge
    Okay, I'll bite.... why are you removing the timing gears to do a belt???
    Not removing, but loosening so that the gears turn freely (as the manual emphatically states), because the old belt is stretched - sliding a new belt on the cam gears in the old position is a great way to get a CEL. The VCT is VERY sensitive, and getting it off just a tiny bit will throw a code. I followed the shop manual exactly, and had zero issues except a few places where they could have been clearer, which I will add some commentary above about.
    Last edited by supersonicsvt; May 23, 2008 at 8:09 PM.
    LOADED and ManiacMagoo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by smoke_zts
    Sounds like a load of fun... makes me look forward to doing mine soon...
    Except for the exotic tools, it was easier than some other T-belts I've done. If you read the procedure thru and have your tools in hand it can be done in 2-4 hours. When I do it on the track dog SVTF I'm sure I can get it done in a couple hours.

Here is a great deal on the Torx stuff: Buy it now and have it ready!!!!
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0552_200310552

The old 70k mile belt looked fine, BTW, but you really can't tell much from looking.
    Last edited by supersonicsvt; May 23, 2008 at 8:13 PM.

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by supersonicsvt
    Because the old belt is stretched - sliding a new belt on the cam gears in the old position is a great way to get a CEL. The VCT is VERY sensitive, and getting it off just a tiny bit will throw a code. I followed the shop manual exactly, and had zero issues except a few places where they could have been clearer, which I will add some commentary above about.
    I still don't understand what that has to do with taking off the cam gears. The gears shouldn't have moved on the cams, regardless of what the belt does.
    Sal
    2012 Race Red SE 5-door

Premier Sponsor

Dang, sounds like you had an adventure.

The SVT vc gasket is as you found out different from the regular Zetec, It's an SVT after all.

As for the T-55's, They are all over the car. You'll need them to do a clutch as well.

When I was helping a guy do his clutch we picked up a couple t-55's at autozone.

Always buy two as Torx bits tend to break.
    Autonation Ford of White Bear Lake (formerly Tousley Ford) Proudly helping forum members build and maintain their vehicles with OEM and Ford Racing parts since 2004.

Now accepting online orders here http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

You can also find us here http://forums.focaljet.com/tousley-ford/

Quote Originally Posted by Power Surge
    I still don't understand what that has to do with taking off the cam gears. The gears shouldn't have moved on the cams, regardless of what the belt does.
    Well, it makes sense to me. Pin the crank and the cams in perfect alignment, loosen the intake and the exhaust gears to let the belt go exactly where it wants relative to the crank without affecting the crank/cams alignment. The spring tensioner puts the right amount of tension in the belt with no resistance from the gears.

But I am sure there are plenty of folks who do just what you are describing and maybe they get a CEL, maybe they don't if the belt hasn't stretched much and the cogs on the new belt slip right into the gear teeth just like it was. But I've never (30+ years) had any T-belt just slip right in. Always had to tweak a gear to get a new belt on.

Quote Originally Posted by FORDSVTPARTS
    Dang, sounds like you had an adventure.

The SVT vc gasket is as you found out different from the regular Zetec, It's an SVT after all.

As for the T-55's, They are all over the car. You'll need them to do a clutch as well.

When I was helping a guy do his clutch we picked up a couple t-55's at autozone.

Always buy two as Torx bits tend to break.
    Like I said, the goofy fastener tools were really the issue, with no mention beforehand from the manual. The Zetec alignment tools I got from you worked quite well.

Yeah, I was SUPPOSED to get the SVT gasket today. If I had to order one, I'd have ordered from you. Interesting that the SVT gaskets are almost 1/3 of the price of the standard Zetec!! So I bought two (two cuts the price of overnight shipping in half....).

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by supersonicsvt
    Well, it makes sense to me. Pin the crank and the cams in perfect alignment, loosen the intake and the exhaust gears to let the belt go exactly where it wants relative to the crank without affecting the crank/cams alignment. The spring tensioner puts the right amount of tension in the belt with no resistance from the gears.

But I am sure there are plenty of folks who do just what you are describing and maybe they get a CEL, maybe they don't if the belt hasn't stretched much and the cogs on the new belt slip right into the gear teeth just like it was. But I've never (30+ years) had any T-belt just slip right in. Always had to tweak a gear to get a new belt on.
    I wasn't describing anything, I just asked why you needed to loosen/remove the gears. I've never run into that problem myself, but your answer makes sense.
    Sal
    2012 Race Red SE 5-door

Did you replace the timing belt tensioner and idler pulleys when you changed the belt? Or did you just do the belt itself? I have a new belt and the tools, just wondering if I should wait on the funds and do the tensioner and idler too.
    2003 Competition Orange SVT Focus - Too many mods, Too much money.

On these cars, from what I've heard, the tensioner and idler usually go bad as often as the belt - maybe more.

DEFINITELY get a new idler and tensioner.

Rookie

Man, I just bought the gates kit and thought about it this morning! So thanks for the post, it was a life/time/car/aggravation saver.

That is a nice little kit, i have a torx set from the saturn interior and clutch, but not any External sockets. The autozone near me didnt carry the E18, and a google search found them 8-10 bucks; the sets not a bad idea. 22 bucks aint a bad life investment... unless gas disappears.

Buy the Ford timing belt tools.
    I did a google search and found lots of different stuff, which are you talking about?
    SVTF SILVER 5DR 03' #1836 of 2173

For the SVTF there is a two piece kit from Ford. Call Steve and he will get them to you.

So I guess now I'm ready to tackle the P1381 trouble code on the other SVTF (trackdog). First thing I'm going to do is set up the timing just like the book says. Hopefully my CEL will go away!

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast