Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Central Florida Motorsports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rookie

Default Clutch fluid leaking?

hey guys,

So today I was coming back from the bank and noticed in my driveway a spot that looked like just water, when i felt it to see exactly what it was it felt oily kind of like brake fluid, looking under the car it looks like its on the bell houseing for the trans any ideas where it can be leaking from?

Chris

Rookie

Default Re: Clutch fluid leaking?

PS, I think my clutch is going out as well it chatters pretty bad when i let off the pedal could that also be the problem. as far as i know it is the stock clutch because it didnt chatter when i first got the car dont know if that could be the issue as well, any help would be great

Premier Sponsor

Stock clutch? It could be the clutch slave leaking but that's fairly rare.

It could be coolant, is there any color to it? I just changed my oil and there was a drip of coolant coming from the bottom of my bell housing, it's dripping slowly from the plug in the bottom of the stat housing and running to the bottom of the trans before it drips on the ground.
    Autonation Ford of White Bear Lake (formerly Tousley Ford) Proudly helping forum members build and maintain their vehicles with OEM and Ford Racing parts since 2004.

Now accepting online orders here http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

You can also find us here http://forums.focaljet.com/tousley-ford/

TEAM Member

I have found exactly the same thing over the past week. Not every day, but maybe every second or third day there will be about a 4-6 inch long puddle of brake fluide under the front of the car. The bellhousing seems to be dry and the clutch is still working properly (not slipping or chattering). I've noticed the reservoir dropping very slightly, but shining a light under the hood doesn't show anything revealing. And the clutch pedal is reasonably dry, too (it's always had a slight mist of fluid on the shaft). Can't figure this one out yet...gonna have to put it up on ramps and crawl underneath.
    - If you've run out of mods, it's time to buy something new -
    2004 Sonic Blue ZX5 SVT; FS Cool-Flo, FR Plug Wires, VF Rear Mount, FR Short Throw shifter, fog light mod, Centric rotors, Hawk HPS, Russell SS lines.

Rookie

No color its clear and feels alot like brake fluid its right under the trans it is the stock Clutch. it is chattering and wasnt leaking till about a week ago, its gotten cold so its hard for me to find a place to jack up the car and take a look i might just take it in and get it looked at this time unless anyone else has any ideas

TEAM Member

I'd put my money on the thermostat housing, as coolant does have an oilyness to it as well. Do you still have gold coolant? This might appear colourless in small amounts.
    2004 SVTF Euro Black #485 that has now joined the 100k club

Rookie

i do still have the gold coolant, where is the housing located?

TEAM Member

T-stat housing is on the drivers side of the engine block, directly in front of the distributor/coil pack. You'll need to remove the plastic cover that covers the distributor and you'll be able to see it.
    2004 Sonic Blue ZX5 SVT; FS Cool-Flo, FR Plug Wires, VF Rear Mount, FR Short Throw shifter, fog light mod, Centric rotors, Hawk HPS, Russell SS lines.

Rookie

alright, I am at work right now and will check I this weekend. Is there a certain area it always leaks from or is it just random?

TEAM Member

either the aluminum plug on the bottom or from the o-ring between the t-stat housing and the engine. It drips pretty much on the seam between the trans and the block and then down to probably where you are seeing it drip on the floor.

Rookie

Hmm alrighty thanks for your help

TEAM Member

helpful link:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=74242

shows result of leak in trans casting

And perm. solution

http://www.htperformance.net/index.p...emart&Itemid=1

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by 04SVTfocuskid View Post
    No color its clear and feels alot like brake fluid its right under the trans it is the stock Clutch. it is chattering and wasnt leaking till about a week ago, its gotten cold so its hard for me to find a place to jack up the car and take a look i might just take it in and get it looked at this time unless anyone else has any ideas
    Just as an FYI, remove your coolant reservoir cap and stick you finger into the coolant. You'll notice it has very little odor (certainly not what you think of as an 'antifreeze smell', and is pretty slippery. It is very similar in feel to brake fluid.

Rookie

well i felt around the housing and i didnt feel anything leaking or anything wet but the reservoir was alittle low, i didnt add any antifreeze cuz i wasnt sure if i can add regular antifreeze with the ford gold antifreeze but still not fully sure it isnt leaking from the housing but i do know its still leaking

TEAM Member

I believe you can add green to gold, just no pink

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast