Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Tasca Auto Group

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TEAM Member

Default Blown Head Gasket

Hey, my Svt overheated the other day, I have a coolant and oil temp gauge. I drove maybe less than 3min's to get off the E-Way. Temps were fully in the red zone on the gauges for that time.
    Well car doesnt start anymore and I checked the oil, seems like I got a blown head gasket. Oil has a milky residue, real sludgy looking.

So anyways im gonna pop the head and swap out some stuff, here's the parts im gonna order. Let me know if im missing something, also doing t-belt.

Head gasket kit 3 Layer ( going with zx3 hg)
    timing belt kit (belt, tensiner, idler bearing L/R)
    cam alignment tool
    valve cover gasket kit
    head bolts stock
    thermostat housing - cracked
    thermostat
    coolant lower hose - Lower has a little leakage

Thanks in advance for any responses, tips etc.
    2003 SVT Focus-Pitch Black#3746

Senior TEAM Member

Default Re: Blown Head Gasket

Your engine will need new bearings as well, coolant and bearings don't like each other.
    '02 Liquid Gray ZX3
    Ported Focus Central Head, Comp Stage III Cams, CFM Cam Gears. Ported Contour Intake Manifold, Aluminum Contour Throttle Body, Custom Short Ram Intake, Underdrive Pulley, 4-1 Header, 2 1/2" flexback exhaust, Sniper Commando Tuned, A/C delete, B&M Short Throw Shifter, Eibach Springs on KYB AGX's, SVT Cluster, American Racing Outlaw II's

Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid_02_ZX3 View Post
    Your engine will need new bearings as well, coolant and bearings don't like each other.
    it depends on the amount of coolant and how long it was run that way. Im curious how the gauges got that far before you stopped? You'll want to get the head checked after getting it that hot to ensure you haven't warped it.
    2003 Pitch Black SVT Focus EAP #1864
    2008 Ford F-250 6" with 37's, Spartan tuned and making 1000 ft/lbs to the tires
    2007 Yamaha Warrior Midnight Edition, low dark and loud

3 mins is long enough to cook the inside of the engine. It's toast. It also probably screwed your crosshatch and pistons. Your going to need a full rebuild. (If it's siezed, you can bet on it, if it doesn't build compression, you've toasted the rings and this statement is also true.)

Next time, save yourself the money, pull over immediatly and call a tow truck. (I'm also doing this with a transmission because someone ELSE didn't pull over when she should have...)
    #3052 of 3985
    Full N/A SVT Build

Camera 1, Camera 2..Camera 1, Camera 2 svtf02red's Avatar

You won't really know what needs to be replaced until you open it up and inspect everything. But, it is a bad sign when the car won't start anymore - and don't try to do that again - bad idea. Do inspect everything, there's no point in going to all the trouble of replacing just the headgasket unless you know that everything else is OK. Also, your factory head bolts can be used twice, so unless the head has been off before, you're good.
    Luxury Hand-Crafted Soaps and Gifts www.pitterpatterndesigns.com

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist" - George Carlin

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by COSVT03 View Post
    3 mins is long enough to cook the inside of the engine. It's toast. It also probably screwed your crosshatch and pistons. Your going to need a full rebuild. (If it's siezed, you can bet on it, if it doesn't build compression, you've toasted the rings and this statement is also true.)

Next time, save yourself the money, pull over immediatly and call a tow truck. (I'm also doing this with a transmission because someone ELSE didn't pull over when she should have...)
    This got me scared man, whats entailed in a full rebuild parts etc, besides what i listed? Would replacing main bearings be necessary or just the rod bearings?

BTW story is "It was a rainy day, my GF was going berserk, fiery redhead. So I just listened to her and pulled over outside the freeway"

As for the factory head bolts, I might as well replace them for an extra little bit of change.

Im doing this all myself, I've changed the freakin clutch 3x times on this thing once for every year i've owned it. Not to mention I was waiting for one with that whole no svt clutch inventory fiasco, ended going with fidanza/SBC clutch which was trash after 15K.

Jeez this car
    Last edited by SVT-SAGE; Jan 13, 2010 at 8:21 PM.

is REALLY worried about very little things... bmylez's Avatar

A full rebuild means, at the very least, new pistons and bored cylinders to get the correct finish back. Not an expert, but I know you need those for a rebuild.
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - broken/sold
    2002 Mustang GT - sold
    2002 SVTF - sold
    2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Cursed
    2003 350Z Track - basically stock, and it runs

Rookie

you will need new rings, pistons, have the block cleaned up and aligned honed to match the pistson, new rod bearings, main bearins, have the crank checked, and possibly ground(bearings will be purchased to match this). for the cost and work involved it can be cheaper to buy a used motor, or a crate motor

Senior TEAM Member

Assume worst case scenario, your last oil change was probably months ago. I would assume its been leaking since then. If you can get a used engine under 75k miles for $800 or less I would do that. As a rebuild with you assembling the engine would run you at least $800 anyways.
    '02 Liquid Gray ZX3
    Ported Focus Central Head, Comp Stage III Cams, CFM Cam Gears. Ported Contour Intake Manifold, Aluminum Contour Throttle Body, Custom Short Ram Intake, Underdrive Pulley, 4-1 Header, 2 1/2" flexback exhaust, Sniper Commando Tuned, A/C delete, B&M Short Throw Shifter, Eibach Springs on KYB AGX's, SVT Cluster, American Racing Outlaw II's

TEAM Member

I Mean the engine still will rotate, its not seized. It just doesnt start, does this mean I still have a chance. Im popping the head off this weekend, so I will post pics of the damage.
    Hopefully you guys can let me know what type of damage i've done, I really dont want to spend 800$, I was thinking 400$ max and thats stretching it for me.

Camera 1, Camera 2..Camera 1, Camera 2 svtf02red's Avatar

Sorry man, but you'd be lucky to get away with an $800 repair bill. My used SVT engine was $1600, plus various parts to do it right - I'm at $2k and climbing right now.

I would hate to see you put all this time and effort into repairing it and have a failure shortly down the road because it wasn't done properly. Like I said earlier, no use in wasting $ on new head bolts when they can be re-used. Keep us informed and ask away with any questions during your tear-down.
    Last edited by svtf02red; Jan 14, 2010 at 6:13 PM.
    Luxury Hand-Crafted Soaps and Gifts www.pitterpatterndesigns.com

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist" - George Carlin

For $1500, you should be able to have the motor rebuilt, piece of cake.
    It's $1800 in my area, but I would rather have a fresh rebuilt than a 75K dinger that who knows what the #3(( has happened with.
    I believe Steve said the pistons and rods are 151 a piece (come in a set)
    #3052 of 3985
    Full N/A SVT Build

Senior TEAM Member

Change the oil, put some head gasket sealer in it. Trade it in.
    '02 Liquid Gray ZX3

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid_02_ZX3 View Post
    Change the oil, put some head gasket sealer in it. Trade it in.
    You're an @$$.
    Don't take it personally.
    Last edited by COSVT03; Jan 15, 2010 at 3:06 PM.
    #3052 of 3985
    Full N/A SVT Build

Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by COSVT03 View Post
    For $1500, you should be able to have the motor rebuilt, piece of cake.
    It's $1800 in my area, but I would rather have a fresh rebuilt than a 75K dinger that who knows what the #3(( has happened with.
    I believe Steve said the pistons and rods are 151 a piece (come in a set)
    i know the machine work should be 300-500, so for about 900-1100 you can have a fresh short block.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast