Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Massive banner 1 - 2014

TEAM Member

Default Spark Plug Gap Opinions....

Ok so I put some autolite spark plugs in my car about a week ago....realized a few days after I changed them that they were the WRONG plug. So now my new denso iridium ITV24's are finally in and I'm changing them this afternoon....if everyone could give me a general consensus of what to set the gap at it would really help me out. I have an 02 red svt with an AEM CAI and a Borla exhaust. Out of the box the gap is a smidge over .050.

Default Re: Spark Plug Gap Opinions....

0.050 is safe. You could open it up a bit. On my car, with what is basically stock ignition, I gapped the plugs to 0.065, started the car, listened for misfires. Gapped down slightly, to 0.062, started again, listened for misfires. Repeated the process until the misfires were gone, IIRC the gap was a smidge under 0.060, something like 0.057-0.058 when I was done. I think 0.050 is the "factory" gap, but our ignition systems do just fine with more, and that usually results in slightly better gas mileage and power production.
    2003 SVT ZX3: 93 Octane Tune, ITG drop-in panel filter, CFM Lower Engine Mount, ORP, custom leaky exhaust.
    "Donít focus on the one guy who hates you. You donít go to the park and set your picnic down next to the only pile of dog s**t"

I'm not very good in bed. In fact, I'm terrible...

TEAM Member

It seems like a lot of svt owners are increasing the gap a little from past threads that I've read. Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to start where you finished and then work back from there if I need to.

Sure. It depends a lot on the individual vehicle. And the type of plugs used. I used Motorcraft Copper plugs, nothing fancy, and I had good luck with being able to open it up. Some people claim that nothing wrong was found at 0.065, mine just didn't like it much. I bet it wouldn't misfire under load, but I also wanted a smooth idle and quick starting.

And in case you are thinking about it, which you weren't indicating that you were, I would not recommend exchanging your stock coil with one of the MSD or Screamin' Demon coils. Performance gains are minimal, at best, and you won't be able to use OEM style plug wires. The stock coil is proven to be perfectly fine all the way up to 400+ horsepower applications.
    2003 SVT ZX3: 93 Octane Tune, ITG drop-in panel filter, CFM Lower Engine Mount, ORP, custom leaky exhaust.
    "Donít focus on the one guy who hates you. You donít go to the park and set your picnic down next to the only pile of dog s**t"

TEAM Member

I am not touching the ignition coil. The only things left on my near future list is valve cover seal replacement, fuel filter and air filter replacement. Then I can start with the short shifter and all the fun stuff. I really wish there was more of a foci community here in north florida though. Tallahassee north florida not jacksonville.

iridium-.045
    2003 SVT Focus #2249
    1994 Mx3 KLZE/5 speed swap, Intake, headers, header back exhaust
    2003 Denali
    2003 Mazdaspeed Protege #526

TEAM Member

Did you gap some iridiums down to .045?? If so how does it run????

Pretty good, I started at .055 and it didnt like that so I kept going smaller till the idle cleaned up.
    2003 SVT Focus #2249
    1994 Mx3 KLZE/5 speed swap, Intake, headers, header back exhaust
    2003 Denali
    2003 Mazdaspeed Protege #526

i run my copper motorcraft plugs at .60 with thundervolts and stock coil. no problems. i did have problems at .65 though. never thought about going somewhere between, just figured .60 was next logical step and it purrs like a kitten.

i usually replace the plugs once a year or so though because my experience with a longer than stock gap is when the plug builds up residue and begins deteriorating (which occurs on most copper plugs after a year) the stator resistance is higher and the gap widens. thats why ford, and most companies give a very conservative, short gap; for people who don't maintain their cars and replace plugs.

you can rehab copper plugs and gap them again, but usually only once. they don't make'em like they used too.
    14 Mazda CX-5 GT
    02 SVTF 3DR Black
    82 Mercury Capri Black Magic

That's true. Copper erodes pretty quickly, especially if you drive hard. I replace mine ever 12 months as well, and even then, there is a lot of erosion evident.

TEAM Member

Yeah I'm thinking about going to the copper plugs next time. I gapped my iridiums at .55 and the difference between that and the crappy autolites that came pregapped at .60 is like I went to a new solar system. Thanks for all of the help everyone!