Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Central Florida Motorsports

TEAM Member

Default WHATS A BAD O2 Sensor feel like

Hello all, i have just replaced both of my o2 sensors due to a check engine light and an error that read on both front and back. anyway as far as i know i have installed them correctly, my question is if a messed it up somehow, how would i know. will the car do something strange like buck, rough idle, spontaneous combustion, etc or will the CEL just come back on?
    2003 SVT focus red! Red paint makes cars go faster!!!

Default Re: WHATS A BAD O2 Sensor feel like

If they are wrong or you messed up, yes.

The front and rears have different connectors(color and connector), so I doubt you put them in wrong. Unless you cut the ears off of them.
    #3052 of 3985
    Full N/A SVT Build

TEAM Member

i know the front and back are where they need to be, the front being a Bosch and the back being the OEM, im talking in terms of screwing them in correctly as im sure your familier with how tough that back one can be. so what should i look/listen for other than the CEL

TEAM Member

Mine would randomly surge a couple times, then loose all power. Idle was a little rough, mileage kinda sucked. What makes you think that your o2's are in wrong? Did you disconnect the battery to reset the computer?

))<>((

When mine blows the front 02 around cruising speeds (usually in 4th gear) it will randomly fall on its face and start bucking and no amount of gas peddle will save it. After a few minutes it catches itself and its fine for awhile longer but throws a CEL. If its the rear 02 you will just get a CEL as its not important to engine function.

TEAM Member

I was under the impression that a sensor doesnt control how the car runs in any way...could be wrong, i have an orp and the cheater delete guys from cfm in there but the code does randomly come on and i notice NO difference in drive-ability. just that annoying lil engine light coming on randomly.
    psh...its just a focus ;) mnfocus FTW

TEAM Member

The rear o2 doesn't matter, but the front is the direct check for the computer as to if the car is running too rich or lean. It changes the way the entire motor runs.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    2003 SVTF - Red

Look under the curve... UNDER THE CURVE! guitarseth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blcksvt2003 View Post
    I was under the impression that a sensor doesnt control how the car runs in any way...could be wrong, i have an orp and the cheater delete guys from cfm in there but the code does randomly come on and i notice NO difference in drive-ability. just that annoying lil engine light coming on randomly.
    The secondary O2 sensor is for emissions only, that's why ORPs throw a CEL, but its only annoying. The primary O2 provides feedback to the ECU regarding AFR, which it uses in conjunction with TPS, coolant temperature, etc, to continually tweak fuel trims.
    2012 Candy Blue Metallic SE Sport Package 5-door with SST - No mods...yet!

I hellaflushed one time after I took a massive stance on my commode

TEAM Member

great well according to all you guys my sensors have been installed correctly, i have not turned the cel off yet all go to auto zone and get it shut off.

))<>((

Have them read the code atleast.

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrappold View Post
    great well according to all you guys my sensors have been installed correctly, i have not turned the cel off yet all go to auto zone and get it shut off.
    50/50 shot there...im in mn, we dont even do any emmisions test but they wouldnt shut off my 02 sensor code :/ let me know if they do ! cause the one around here used to but hasnt in years, they shut off any other code u want just not emissions ones :/
    psh...its just a focus ;) mnfocus FTW

TEAM Member

well its knida strange here in VA, they wont shot it off for you but they will give you the code reader thingy so you can turn it off your self, they by law cannot do it for you, but they will stand beside you and say "now hit that button" lol. done it once before

Rookie

You said the primary is Bosch?.... you might be better off with the ford O2 sensor or even a Denso, alot of people have had problems with Bosch products on the focus.