Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Tire Rack 2

TEAM Member

Default Stock 2003 Ford/Blaupunkt MP3 Radio Swap to 2001 ZX3

Hey I heard of ppl doin the Stock Blaupunkt MP3 swap to earlier model focuses(any models before the 2003 models). I have a 2001 ZX3 and I found a harness to plug and play install this thing easily at focushacks.com... only thing i want to know is, IS THIS RELIABLE? I have heard that doin this swap, the radio may have heat problems or some kind of heat problems from the wiring. Is this true or has anyone been through this kind of situation after doing the swap? I'm asking because I don't want to buy everything and later find that it will mess up the electrical system or whatever in the car. THANKS!!! btw this forum is awesome!thanks again!

Double-Wide Pride!!!

Default Re: Stock 2003 Ford/Blaupunkt MP3 Radio Swap to 2001 ZX3

(inserts nose in someones butt) Focus Hacks's wiring system for the blaupunkt mp3 player is a great idea, it works well and if I had two of these systems I would buy another. I have no problem whatsoever with the harness, and it plugs in easily. In short, it works. By the way thank you all in the effort in letting me upgrade my system. You know who you are. by the way, welcome to the jet!

TEAM Member

actually i helped design the harness and it is completly reliable it is just adapting two diffrent plugs together while keeping the pins in their correct places hope that helps

I have my Blaupunkt radio in my 00 ZX3 and it works great... When i bought the radio on ebay the seller included the adapter cables so i dont know if it was the focusshack one.

I have never had problems with it overheating... The only thing that i did find was that when i turn no the car after playing MP3s sometime the album resets to the first album instead of staying at the album and song i was at when i shut off the car. Its a little annoying but hardly a huge problem.

TEAM Member

wut do u mean by adaptin two different plugs? I thought it was a simple plug & play just like a normal harness for an aftermarket deck... or is that wut u meant.... lol. kinda confused. But thanks for replying!!! Oh, and by the way how's the sound quality? Same as the regular 1 cd deck? I appreciate it!!! I think I will get the deck real soon. THANX!!!!

Adapter is the harness that is at focushacks... It just a modified wiring harness.

As for sound quality its really good and crisp. The only downside to the radio is that it has automatic volume adjusting so i doenst blow speakers which is good and bad when you want to be loud. It still gets loud though but it always sounds crisp.

TEAM Member

Kinda related question... I put in some Polk Audio GXR's and they sound pretty good. Only problem is that I lost a lot of bass. I think this is because they aren't as efficient as the OEM's, and the OEM non-MP3 cd player is pretty puny too. Will the Blaupunkts have enough wattage to bring back some of the bass?

I got some 3 way kenwood speakers i just put in with this radio and its pretty bassy if you crank it up... Just remember that you will have the level cutout eventually.