Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Central Florida Motorsports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How To- Side Moldings Removel and Reinstall

Resident Wheel-Whore

Default How To- Side Moldings Removel and Reinstall

This will be a how-to for removing the side moldings off of any Focus, and reinstalling or replacing with new ones.

Its my first How-To, so for it might not be the greatest at first, but I'll add to it, where I see it needs it...

A set of side moldings to install, if your replacing the moldings.
    (2) Packages of 6ftx1/2" 3M Ext Autobody Doublesided tape
    (2) Packages of 6ftx1/4" 3M Ext Autobody Doublesided tape
    Some type of adhesion promoter
    Some type of adhesive remover

Even tho the Kona side moldings are wonderful and all, I much prefer the SVT moldings. They clean the car up so much on the side. So I'll be installing painted side moldings in place of my Kona moldings...
    Since the 00-04, have alignment pegs, and the moldings I'm using are off an 05' car I painted, there are no pegs. So if your installing moldings off a 00-04, to a 05-07, you will need to cut the pegs off the back of the moldings. I don't recommend drilling holes in the door just for the pegs...

Alright, start with your car, open the door, and start removing the moldings. I've found the best method of doing this is using that fishing line or dental floss, and slowly "cutting" thru the double sided tape. This is similar to removing the rear badging on our cars. If you have a 00-04 Focus, you will need to be careful, as there are pegs on the back of the molding. If you get crazy with it, you will cut right thru the pegs. These pegs are for alignment of installing the moldings. 05-07 do not have pegs on the molding or holes in the door. So you can go right thru without worrying about cutting the pegs. Refer to pics to see where the pegs are at...

After we get both moldings off the car. We need to remove ALL of the left over tape that is on the paint now. There are several methods to removing this stuff. 3M makes a wonderful little rubber wheel, or you can pick it off with your fingers. There are a few other methods as well. Pretty much, anything will do, just as along as you don't ruin the paint on the door. Once all the tape is gone, clean it up real good using a paint prep or adhesion promoter...

Next we need to do the same with the moldings. This will be just as fun. We need ALL the tape off the moldings. You can typically use the same method you used on the doors to get the tape off the moldings.
    If your installing new moldings or pre-prepped moldings, you won't need to remove the old tape, unless, of course, there is old tape on there. Then remove if there is...

Now that the tape is clean off the moldings, once again use your adhesion promotor or any sort of paint prep, and clean the back surface of the moldings, where the tape will be going. Once clean, pull out the 3M tape, and start rolling it onto the moldings. I use the 1/2" on the top of the moldings, and the 1/4", on the bottom. That seems to stick better then the two really thin strips that come factory...

After you have both moldings retaped, its pretty simple to align the holes and pull the tape backing off. If you have a 05 or newwer, I'd suggest starting to the edge of the door, and working your way towards the fender. That way you get it the leading edge of the molding aligned, then the rest will follow towards the fender. There is a groove the top of the molding will fit into on the door as well, that will help align the proper height.
    Do the same for the rear. Take note on how the other side of the car looks, and do the same steps for the front door, for the rear molding. Starting towards the front of the molding, and working your way towards the rear. Using that same groove to align the height.

Once both are on, use a towel and your hand to push on the moldings to get them tight and firm on the car. Don't use alot of pressure, the Focus door skins are not that tough, and you can easy dent or crease the door using alot of pressue.

Once you've got both on, stand back and enjoy your new moldings...

Before...

After...
    greytop12 likes this.
    I posted on FocalJet, and all I got was this crappy sig

2012 VW GLi Candyweiss Autobahn - 1972 VW Typ1 Std Sedan 1600c
    ~~BOOST CREW, Bottled Fresh since 2006 ~~ Vacuum Crew, Stirring things up since 2008~~ C-LIST~~

Super Moderators

Default Re: How To- Side Moldings Removel and Reinstall

very nice o2!!

I need to get myself a set of smooth SVT moldings for my car
    2013 Subaru Impreza WRX | Strictly | Focused | 2002 Focus ZX3 | 2009 Volvo C30

myFlickr

[FJ] | Sponsors | Store | Guidelines | Ext. How-To | Int. How-To | Mid-Atlantic | [FJ]

Resident Wheel-Whore

Thanks

I highly recommend color coded side moldings for EVERY Focus...

~~BOOST CREW, Bottled Fresh since 2006 ~~ Vacuum Crew, Stirring things up since 2008~~ C-LIST~~

Super Moderators

added to the Exterior How-Tos
    2013 Subaru Impreza WRX | Strictly | Focused | 2002 Focus ZX3 | 2009 Volvo C30

myFlickr

[FJ] | Sponsors | Store | Guidelines | Ext. How-To | Int. How-To | Mid-Atlantic | [FJ]

TEAM Member

Great, now i can steal molding off another car to use on mine =]

jsut kidding, but that would piss me off
    2008 Brilliant Black Dodge Caliber SRT-4 - 285hp/265lbs
    2008 Brilliant Black Dodge Caliber R/T AWD - Sold
    2002 Sonic Blue Ford Focus SVT #3729 of 4788 -
    Sold
    2000 CD Silver Ford Focus SE - Sold

TEAM Member

where did you find the new molding?
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0T w/ DSG

SOLD - Black 2008 Jeep Wrangler X

SOLD - 2003 red zx3 manual - Steeda short ram intake, Steeda STS, Roush shift knob, Steeda strut tower brace, EBC sport rotors and Hawk HP Plus pads

Senior TEAM Member focusonfocus's Avatar

i didn't know there was red font kona moulding

good job on howto
    LOOKING FOR HAWKEYES STI(WORLD RALLY BLUE)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3(OXFORD/CLOUD 6 WHITE) FSWERKS GT2871R Turbocharged @11psi
    2000 Ford Focus ZX3 KONA EDITION(DIRT BROWN METALLIC AKA SH*T COLOUR) Parted out

BUILD THREAD-->http://forums.focaljet.com/team-rigz...hellll-no.html

Resident Wheel-Whore

Quote Originally Posted by focusonfocus
    i didn't know there was red font kona moulding

good job on howto
    They come with yellow. But redid them to match the rest of the car when I had my time attack EAPs. The red is vinyl over the old yellow, and can be removed...

Quote Originally Posted by zlarson
    where did you find the new molding?
    Salvage Yard

nice how-to, yeah I wouldnt change a thing.

I was able to just peel mine off though, after I got the 2 sided tape started coming off, cuz of those stupid holes

TEAM Member

Nice post! Helped me out!
    "Brace for the G's, with a fast heal-toe!"--Hunter S. Thompson

question! can you remove and then paint? my dad is a car painter so im sure he can take them to his booth once i sand and prime them. but do you think it is ok to do this? or do the "OLD ONES" get damaged when removing them?
    focus central short throw Shifter-Custom Short Ram air with BLOX filter and velocity stack-Focus Sport stealth 2.5 SS Catback-MSD Coil with Massive msx 90 wires-2" drop-SVT 5 spokes painted a dark Metallic gunmetal-SVT seats with red inserts and SVT center console-Pioneer premier Head unit audiobahn comp sub-ebay svt mach HID's-...

Resident Wheel-Whore

There is holes there. Those will need to be filled first. Unless you have an05 or newwer, where don't have holes.

With an 05 or newwer, you can just remove the moldings, and you'll be fine. Since they don't ruin the paint. But 00-04 will need to have holes filled and painted.

TEAM Member

Great write up!
    - Zach

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by glowboi87
    question! can you remove and then paint? my dad is a car painter so im sure he can take them to his booth once i sand and prime them. but do you think it is ok to do this? or do the "OLD ONES" get damaged when removing them?
    If you're careful when removing them they soudn't get damaged, so you'd be able to get them painted and get them back on.

The one o2 installed looks like they're used and they seem in perfect condition.
    -Mat

2003 Eggyolk ZX3 Lots of SVT and EAP goodies, all the usual DIY goodies.
    2007 Crystal White Pearl Mazda 3 Sport GT Still stock, lots of small project including wheels for next summer.

Resident Wheel-Whore

No they came Sonic Blue.

I painted them CD Silver off the car and reinstalled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast