Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FSWerks

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: HOW TO: VW Wiring Hack (convert your car to Euro/MACH headlights .... with pictures!)

Default HOW TO: VW Wiring Hack (convert your car to Euro/MACH headlights .... with pictures!)

While there is the OFOC how-to, which I used to initially wire my car, it is a daunting task to a lot of people. I decided to cut my harness back apart, and rewire it so I could document the process.

Parts needed:

6 VW wire leads (you cut each one in half, so you will end up with 12 to use) -- Part Number 000-979-133 (get from VW dealer)
    2 VW Plugs -- part number 1JO-973-735 (get from VW dealer)

2 15A fuses
    Electrical tape
    Wire cutters and strippers
    Pliers
    10mm wrench

To do the splicing, you ether need

Butt Connectors (heat shrink connectors are a plus)
    OR
    Soldering iron and solder

And obviously, a set of new headlights (MACHs, ST170s, Chrome Euro Facelifts, Hella DynaBeams, etc [anything with Euro/VW plugs needed])

Start by removing your headlights. All of these bolts are 10mm

There might be a bolt here

There will be a bolt here

And here

There is also a bolt on the bottom of the headlight. You need to jack your car up to get to it. I didn't get a picture of it because I never put that bolt back in, so I didn't have to take it out.

Now, get your VW plugs and leads. Cut each wire lead in half. When you look at the plug, there are numbers on the front of it. Put a lead in spots 1,2,3,4,6, and 8.

Next, put the orange rubber grommet in the plug if it isn't already there

Then slide the purple retaining clip in

Now you're ready to start wiring.

Grab the stock headlight plug, and use some wire snips to cut each wire.

Hold the plug you just cut off, and look for the numbers where the wires come out

Now you need to get this wiring diagram out.

**NOTE: I reference the colors present in my wiring harness. I have a 2002 SVT. If you have a different year or model, there is a very good chance that your wire colors are different than mine. However, I still reference my colors to help get the point across**

On your plug you cut off the car, find the wire in spot 6.That is your high beams. Make note of the color combo of the wire (mine was GREEN AND BLACK). On your piece of paper with the wiring diagram, write "high beams --- GREEN AND BLACK --- PIN 1".

Now look at your stock plug again, and look at the wire coming out of spot 7. Make note of the wire color (mine was GREEN AND ORANGE). On your wiring diagram, write "low beams -- GREEN AND ORANGE -- PIN 2".

And then you have one more wire, the black one. That is your GROUND. On your wiring diagram, write "ground -- BLACK -- PIN 6".

At this point, you need to get out your wire strippers and strip all three of your wires where you cut your plug off the car, as well as all the wires on the VW plug.

Also, you need to get out your splicing supplies. You can use butt connectors, heat shrink butt connectors, and soldering. It's your call. I used heat shrink butt connectors. I bought them at WalMart

On the VW plug, there are numbers too

Now get your wiring diagram out, and find the wire on the VW plug coming out of spot 6. Connect that to your BLACK wire.

Next, get the wire coming out of spot 2 on the VW plug. Connect that to the correct color wire from the car that you wrote down on your wiring diagram. Mine was GREEN AND ORANGE..

Next, get the wiring coming out of spot 1 on the VW plug. Connect that to the appropriate wire on the car. Mine was GREEN AND BLACK.

Crimp them down

Now it is time to deal with getting the blinkers and city/running light hooked up to the VW harness.

Cut off the plug , but make sure you leave enough room to get in there and strip the end as well as get in there and crimp.

Now look at the plug you just cut off

The wire in the middle goes to pin 3 on the VW harness

The black wire goes to pin 8 on the VW harness

The last remaining wire goes to pin 4 on the VW harness

Make a note of this on your wiring diagram, which color wire goes to which pin on the VW harness

Now you need to make the extension so you can reach the VW harness. Get 3 different color wires. I put them through some heat shrink

Strip the ends

Crimp the butt connectors to the ends, and use a lighter or a heat gun to heat up the heatshrink that is one the butt connectors so it shrinks. Also, as it shrinks it melts the glue to get a weathertight seal.

Crimp the butt connectors onto the wiring from the blinker harness. When you do this, make note of which color wires are connected and write this down on your wiring diagram so you know which wires to connect to which pins on the VW plug

I made black be my ground wire, red be the blinker wire, and yellow be my city light lead.

Use your lighter or heat gun to shrink the ends of the butt connectors. At this point, you really could just leave the wires as-is. but I wrapped them in electrical tape to make it look more factory-ish

Now you're almost ready to splice them into the VW plug.

Run the wiring behind the core support

And get it ready to splice

Refer to your wiring diagram where you wrote down which wires are which, and splice them to the VW plug

My wiring went like this:

BLACK -- Pin 8
    RED -- Pin 4
    YELLOW -- Pin 3

Get it all properly lined up, then crimp them and use a lighter or heat gun to shrink the heat shrink and get the glue melted to create a weatherproof seal.

Once you get it all shrunk down and sealed up, like before you can either leave it be or wrap it in electrical tape. For the extra bit of protection and to make it look more factory, I wrapped it in electrical tape

And once you get it all wrapped, go back and tuck any wires you can out of sight

before:

tucked under a bit:

Finally, go in your underhood fuse box. Replace fuses 16 & 17 with 15A fuses. The ones in it are 10A, if you leave the 10A ones in there they will blow!

I hope this was helpful!!!!!!
    Last edited by SVT3658; Feb 5, 2011 at 12:25 AM.
    TSI_Focus likes this.
    Perfect Circle Autosport, for all your TeamDynamics wheel needs
    Quote Originally Posted by alucardsvt View Post
    When I first started reading the thing on this forum I thought that most of the people here are a bunch of douche rockets but I learned that most of the people here have a certain sense of humor that most people don't get. Some may come off as big turds but they can back it up with first hand experience and when they say "don't do it" I just learned to listen and trust those who have the knowledge.

Default Re: HOW TO: VW Wiring Hack (convert your car to Euro/MACH headlights .... with pictur

Now see, this is a perfect write up for someone like me. What I like is the simplicity of the instructions and the pics. I have read the sticky how to write ups and always wanted pics. The instructions here are easy and basic. I definitely feel comfortable with this how to version.

Thanks to the OP for taking the time to simplify this conversion. For whatever reason I was intimidated with attempting the swap. Not anymore. With this gem in hand, I know I can do it. I would have never thought it to be so straight forward and simple.

Nice job

I vote this how for sticky status in the ****Everything Exterior- Mod's and How-To's**** thread! Maybe call it "SVT3658's simple Euro headlight hack".
    ____PERFECT CIRCLE AUTOSPORT IS TEAM DYNAMICS #1 NORTH AMERICAN SPEC ORDER WHEEL DEALER!

Check out Perfect Circle Autosport's Team Dynamics wheel offerings in the New Products and Deals forum!

Default Re: HOW TO: VW Wiring Hack (convert your car to Euro/MACH headlights .... with pictur

Doing what I can

Thanks for the props!
    When I first started reading the thing on this forum I thought that most of the people here are a bunch of douche rockets but I learned that most of the people here have a certain sense of humor that most people don't get. Some may come off as big turds but they can back it up with first hand experience and when they say "don't do it" I just learned to listen and trust those who have the knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by bustonit View Post
    i vote this how for sticky status in the ****everything exterior- mod's and how-to's**** thread! Maybe call it "svt3658's simple euro headlight hack".
    +1
    FSwerks Tune on COBB Accessport, Steeda Intake, Cp-E Catless downpipe, DIY Front mount Intercooler, H&R Coilovers, MRR HR55 wheels 18x9, Breedt Shift Arm, Boomba RMM

Senior TEAM Member

NICE work on the how-to.
    '00 turbo ZX3 - 224whp 228tq 13.38 1/4 - parted out and sold :(
    '08 Octane Blue Evo GSR - Perrin drop-in filter, HKS catback. - sold
    '02 SVTF #4521 - Quaife/Intake/FR header/HFC/Pullies/VF mounts/TB/Tom's Tune/OZ Superleggeras - sold
    '08 VW R32 - sold
    '08 VW Passat Wagon 3.6 4motion - project R36 estate coming soon...

Control > Print. Fantastic write-up. Should help me tremendously...
    Formerly SLVRBulletSVT03...

Rookie

Thank you so much, maybe I can finally get all the lights to work in my Depo Machs.

Stromberg2

TEAM Member

This is a really nice write up!! This should really help me out here in the near future! Thanks a lot!

Camera 1, Camera 2..Camera 1, Camera 2 svtf02red's Avatar

How does this have the city/blinker setup to work? City light is on with parking lights/headlights, and blinker only works when turn signal is activated, thus splitting the dual function of the factory blinker/parking light between two bulbs?
    The official bearer of bad news for those with questions about their SVT woes.

Luxury Hand-Crafted Soaps and Gifts www.pitterpatterndesigns.com

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist" - George Carlin

yes sir! Makes it work just like the Euro cars do.

For the Hella Dynabeams the Ground in pin 8 (for turn signals/parking lights) of the VW connector needs to go into pin 7.
    2003 Focus ZX3, 5 Spokes, FSWERKS Race Headers, FSWerks race exhaust, AEM SR Intake, Strut Tower Bar by FSWERKS, SCT Tune by FSWERKS. I should be an FSWERKS sponsee! haha

I have another question how do I get a wire out if I put it in the wrong slot? I havent done that yet but almost did...
    03 Focus ZX3 - currently parked until further notice
    07 Subaru Impreza 2.5i sedan - Replaced Focus as DD

Shove a paperclip where the orange dots are and kinda jiggle it while lightly pulling on the wire. You need to get both sides loose and the wire pops out.

It takes some time. I depinned all 12 wires from a MKIV Jetta headlight plug and am using it on my car right now.

Quote Originally Posted by slipster17 View Post
    "Team Mid Atlantic: Giving the 808 the lovin' it deserves since 2009"

sweet thank you
    03 Focus ZX3 - currently parked until further notice
    07 Subaru Impreza 2.5i sedan - Replaced Focus as DD

If you can't get it, go to a VW dealer and ask nicely. They have special tools to de-pin the harness.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast