Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Tire Rack Winter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    TEAM Member

Default Car pulls slightly to the right, alignment will not fix...

I noticed a few weeks ago that my car pulls a little to the right when I let go of the steering wheel. I took my car to PepBoys and they did an alignment to the factory specs. The service guy told me that the front casters are non-adjustable and they needed to be adjusted but there was no way to do it. So I drove my car down the street and it still pulled a little to the right. The problem was better but it was not right so I took it back. The service guy said there was nothing he could do to fix it, my car will always pull to the right a little.??? So I got a refund and drove home.

My car is an '02 SVT with around 49,750 miles, 4 new Yokohama tires about 7,000 miles ago. The car has never been in an accident and still has the factory SVT suspension. Has anyone else had a similar issue with their Focus? Is it true that there is no way to fix this issue of the caster being out of alighnment?
    2002 Infra Red SVT focus # 2398
    HIA Tuned XCal2, AEM Short Ram w/ Custom Heat Shield, FC 65mm TB, Steeda STS, VF Motor Mount, MSD Coil Pack, FRPP 9mm Wires, replaced Lunchbox w/ 2-1/4 piping, FS Strut Brace, Yokohama H4s, HID headlights, Ford Euro Grill, Clear Corners, Red Emblems, FC Red A/c Knobs, JVC KDLH-810 MP3, Phoenix Gold XS2300, 8" Kicker Comp VR, FRPP Mats, CF...

TEAM Member

Default Re: Car pulls slightly to the right, alignment will not fix...

Caster is the angle of you steering pivot axis. Looking at the side of your car the pivot axis will be angled to the rear (almost all cars have positive caster). If the caster is off from one side to the other by too much the car will pull, like you are experiencing. I would make sure that a strut is not bent, and have another shop check it out.
    Pep Boys should not have just left it like that, they should have told you what was causing the crazy caster or align it properly.
    2004 ZX3 2.3L Pitch Black, Manual - to be installed: Cosworth IM, CFM 67mm TB, AEM intake ,OBX header, Borla exhaust, CFM UPD, CFM BSD, Crane stage-1s, 4.06 FD, Torsen T2, Exedy OEM clutch
    2001 ZX3 Infra Red, Automatic - returned to stock

TEAM Member

It can also be a bad tire so rotate te tires front to rear and see if that fixes it. You may also have a brake caliper binding up slightly on the right side that is causing the pull.
    08 Scion XB. Tanabe NF210 springs,MB Motoring Weapon wheels with 235/45/17 Falken 912's,Borla exhaust,tinted windows and clear bra.

On a side note, try to find a "worthy" alignment shop that will take a look at it.

Anything, even the dealer, is better than pep-boys.
    2011 Relfex Silver VW Golf 2.5L 5-Cylinder: I need some fancy Mercedes wheels for this thing...
    2004 Pitch Black 5spd 2.0L(Z) ZX3: Totalled 4/26/2011 :(
    Stuff left to sell off it: FocusSport Cool-Flo intake, H&R Rear Swaybar, Thule OEM Roof Rack w/ Fairing, Camber Bolts, etc.
    2008 Specialized Tarmac. 2010 Giant Anthem X2. Trek 1500. Fuji hipster bike. Boom.

TEAM Member

HaHa^^ Yeah PepBoys probably wasn't the best place to take my car. The caster is actually only .1 out of spec. They did make the alignment better though and I got my money back, so I guess I can't really complain. I'll look around for a good local shop.
    2002 Infra Red SVT focus # 2398
    HIA Tuned XCal2, AEM Short Ram w/ Custom Heat Shield, FC 65mm TB, Steeda STS, VF Motor Mount, MSD Coil Pack, FRPP 9mm Wires, replaced Lunchbox w/ 2-1/4 piping, FS Strut Brace, Yokohama H4s, HID headlights, Ford Euro Grill, Clear Corners, Red Emblems, FC Red A/c Knobs, JVC KDLH-810 MP3, Phoenix Gold XS2300, 8" Kicker Comp VR, FRPP Mats, CF...

ALl cars are set up from the factory to have a positive caster on the right hand side. This will make you pull slightly to the right.

The reason behind this is if you were to fall asleep at the wheel then the car would go into the ditch rather than oncoming traffic.

Mine does the same thing and after I checked my alignment and found nothing wrong I concluded that this theory is true for our cars as well.

Senior TEAM Member supersonicsvt's Avatar

Camber that is different on one side versus the other can also make the car pull. And that isn't OEM adjustable either. But there is usually a bit of slop in the bolt holes so a good jolt might move things around a bit. If you unbolted your strut/knuckle ass'y that would do it also.

I think (not sure) the car will pull to the side with MORE camber.

Wasn't there an issue with the CV axle bearing on the passenger side??? Haven't some of those bound up?? (sorry, can't remember!)
    DD - '02 Sonic Blue SVT #504 Steeda springs, Koni Sports, 25mm adj RSB
    Track Rat IS BACK!!! - '02 Black SVT H&R race springs, Koni Sports, 25mm RSB, Carbotech brakes, NT01s, 67mm TB, oil & PS coolers, Autopower roll bar, Schroth harnesses, Sparco seats (and "custom" rear bodywork)

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by pasty-t
    ALl cars are set up from the factory to have a positive caster on the right hand side. This will make you pull slightly to the right.

The reason behind this is if you were to fall asleep at the wheel then the car would go into the ditch rather than oncoming traffic.

Mine does the same thing and after I checked my alignment and found nothing wrong I concluded that this theory is true for our cars as well.
    Thats funny stuff right there, rookie.
    2004 ZX3 2.3L Pitch Black, Manual - to be installed: Cosworth IM, CFM 67mm TB, AEM intake ,OBX header, Borla exhaust, CFM UPD, CFM BSD, Crane stage-1s, 4.06 FD, Torsen T2, Exedy OEM clutch

TEAM Member

With everything else (such as camber and tire pressure) being equal, a vehicle will pull to the side with the most negative caster - not to the side with the most positive caster. Generally speaking, caster is usually more positive on the right side to induce a slight LEFT pull to offset the road crown, resulting in the vehicle tracking straight. There is no "fall asleep" factor when it comes to wheel alignment...at least not from any of the OEMs.

Super Moderators

I thought that back in the day OEMs would set the alignment of the car to counteract the crown that was being built into the roads?

not some fall asleep and drift into a ditch so you roll over 10x and die alignment...
    2013 Subaru Impreza WRX | Strictly | Focused | 2002 Focus ZX3 | 2009 Volvo C30

myFlickr

[FJ] | Sponsors | Store | Guidelines | Ext. How-To | Int. How-To | Mid-Atlantic | [FJ]

Quote Originally Posted by RallyRacer
    Thats funny stuff right there, rookie.
    Obviously you have never done any alignments on cars. SO before making assumptions learn some more.

Every alignment we do at my dealership we set the caster +.05 on the right side to comply with the road crown.

Another thing, and this isn't you it's all forum people, just becuase someone has a few posts on a site doesn't make them ignorant. Same thing for people that have a lot of posts, that doesn't make them a genious.

Thanks.

TEAM Member

Every alignment we do at my dealership we set the caster +.05 on the right side to comply with the road crown.
    You never said that noob; I doubt you work on cars at all; at least I hope you don't.

TEAM Member

THATS WHAT YOU WROTE! Like I said funny stuff noob.

Super Moderators

Obviously you have never done any alignments on cars. SO before
    making assumptions learn some more.

Another thing, and this isn't you it's all forum people, just becuase someone has a few posts on a site doesn't make them ignorant. Same thing for people that have a lot of posts, that doesn't make them a genious.

Thanks.
    isn't that kinda canceling each other out?

Just to make sure I understand something, I went over to TireRack's tech pages and looked up alignment settings.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=4

Cross-Camber and Cross-Caster

Most street car alignments call for the front camber and caster settings to be adjusted to slightly different specifications on the right side of the vehicle compared to the left side. These slight side-to-side differences are called cross-camber and cross-caster.

For vehicles set up to drive on the "right" side of the road, the right side is aligned with a little more negative camber (about 1/4-degree) and a little more positive caster (again, about 1/4-degree) to help the vehicle resist the influence of crowned roads that would cause it to drift "downhill" to the right gutter. Since most roads are crowned, cross-camber and cross-caster are helpful the majority of the time, however they will cause a vehicle to drift to the left on a perfectly flat road or a road that leans to the left.

Using cross-camber and cross-caster is not necessary for track-only cars
    2013 Subaru Impreza WRX | Strictly | Focused | 2002 Focus ZX3 | 2009 Volvo C30

myFlickr

[FJ] | Sponsors | Store | Guidelines | Ext. How-To | Int. How-To | Mid-Atlantic | [FJ]

Quote Originally Posted by RallyRacer
    You never said that noob; I doubt you work on cars at all; at least I hope you don't.
    Well then don't think about it. Sorry to make you think that you are superior to everyone.

Have a great day

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast