Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FSWerks

Thread: Door won't open

TEAM Member

Default Door won\'t open

Hello people:

My drivers side door won't open from outside anymore. The handle is all loose and when you pull on it it won't unlatch the door. The only way to get in is to go through the passenger side and open it from inside. I look like an idiot doing this.

Is it something i can fix myself? My warranty is over and done like dinner. I tried taking the door liner off but it got a little tricky and i wouldn't mind some tips from anyone who has done this. How much can i expect to pay to get the ford guys to do it.

Thanks

Senior TEAM Member

Default Re: Door won\'t open

Either your handle is broken, or the linkage is broken/disconnected. If you can't figure out how to get the door panel off, I am sure someone here knows how. I don't know the specifics of getting it off, because I have not removed a door panel from the Focus yet. But once you get the panel off, You should be able to see the problem.

TEAM Member

To get inside remove all the torx bolts along the bottom of the door and pop off the cover insert that is in the handle on the door and remove that bolt. Then you kind of push the door UP and then it pops out enough to mess with. Don't forget the screw behind the cover on the inside door handle too.

TEAM Member

www.focushacks.com Thank axon

Senior TEAM Member

MartiniFocus, I notice you're from Canada too eh?
    I'm assuming this only happens in cold weather?

My car would always do this in the middle of winter, and everytime I would wash it.
    The handle is all loose, and nothing happens. I noticed if you open your door slowly in the winter, I was less prone to this happening to me. My dealer can't find anything wrong with it, of course, so who knows....

But good luck

TEAM Member

I just got the car back and it wasn't as bad as i thought. The grease on the latch dried up. I had to pay $57.00 CDN to get it looked at and grease replaced. I am happy because a new handle and all the labour would have cost an arm and leg.

If this happens to you make sure that the grease is re applied. You don't want to get stuck paying for a new handle when it is not the problem.

Hopefully this helps future problems for you peeps.

I've had a more serious version of this problem on my car... on both doors now. in the extreme cold.. the door won't CLOSE.. that is, the door won't latch shut. the handle is all loose (outside handle) and I have to cycle the door locks a couple of times and slam the door real hard to get it to close, and even then, it's a hit and miss... it's rather annoying. when my car was under warranty I had them replace the door handles on the driver's side door, but now I'm out of warranty, and it happens on the passenger side. only in the extreme cold though, so it's hard to duplicate...

Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off. ax0n's Avatar

Originally posted by Creo:
    I've had a more serious version of this problem on my car... on both doors now. in the extreme cold.. the door won't CLOSE.. that is, the door won't latch shut. the handle is all loose (outside handle) and I have to cycle the door locks a couple of times and slam the door real hard to get it to close, and even then, it's a hit and miss... it's rather annoying. when my car was under warranty I had them replace the door handles on the driver's side door, but now I'm out of warranty, and it happens on the passenger side. only in the extreme cold though, so it's hard to duplicate...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">BOTH of these problems happen when you wash the focus in sub-freezing temps. Matter of fact, this happens to a lot of cars. The insides get frozen and stick to each other really easily. No amount of lube will save you if you get the insides of your doors wet and it's really freakin' cold out.

my advice is to wash the car when it gets above freezing, and do it by hand when you have a chance. Don't wash the windows with a hose, and don't use a pressure washer at all. Be careful around the door handles, locks, and edges of the door, and you can still get her sparkly clean without screwing yourself with a frozen door later.

Rookie

Is it just the grease on the part of the latch that you can see when the door is open that needs replacing? or do you have to remove the door panel and get at the inside of it?