Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FSWerks

TEAM Member

Default Ignition cylinder/lock lubrication?

Having read the various posts about those who have had their ignition locks "freeze" I was wondering two things...

Why/how does this happen?

Is prevention possible...say lubricating the cylinder with a lock lubricant?

I ask as my cylinder will at times stick in the "In" position when I remove the key and am concerned this may be an indication of future problems.

TEAM Member

Default Re: Ignition cylinder/lock lubrication?

I have put a thin coating of Lithium within the lock mechanism which seemed to have helped me; however, if you're still under warranty, you may want to take it to the dealer and reference these TSB's:

Technical Service Bulletins

Make: FORD Model: FOCUS Year: 2000

Service Bulletin Number: 13968 Bulletin Sequence Number: 202 Date of Bulletin: 03/01

NHTSA Item Number: SB620288
    Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION : OTHER PART
    Summary:
    SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT DIFFICULTY TURNING IGNITION KEY. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER (ILC). *TT

Service Bulletin Number: 14553 Bulletin Sequence Number: 179 Date of Bulletin: 01/01

NHTSA Item Number: SB617928
    Summary:
    EXHIBITING DIFFICULTY TURNING IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER. *JB

Service Bulletin Number: 14752 Bulletin Sequence Number: 194 Date of Bulletin: 03/01

NHTSA Item Number: SB619484
    Summary:
    EXHIBITING AN IGNITION KEY THAT IS DIFFICULT TO REMOVE FROM THE IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER INTERMITTENTLY, BUT WILL ROTATE. *TT

Service Bulletin Number: 15092 Bulletin Sequence Number: 621 Date of Bulletin: 07/01

NHTSA Item Number: SB621101
    Summary:
    SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT AN IGNITION KEY THAT IS DIFFICULT TO REMOVE FROM THE IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER INTERMITTENTLY, BUT WILL ROTATE FREELY. *TT

Service Bulletin Number: 15421 Bulletin Sequence Number: 630 Date of Bulletin: 11/01

NHTSA Item Number: SB630440
    Summary:
    SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A DIFFICULT TO TURN, UNABLE TO REMOVE, OR STICKING IGNITION KEY. *TT

[ 06-01-2002: Message edited by: Bobby ]</p>

Don't Call Me Gaga!
    Home of the unloved orphan automobiles. (CA)

Hey Dave.. Have you heard anything more about this? My car did this twice on Saturday. When it sticks, it will come right out after I touch it. Is that what yours is doing?

TEAM Member

Exactly! Not much else to go on. I just don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere not being able to start the car.

Senior TEAM Member

when i had this problem with my last car, the dealer said it was nothing and lubed it twice...well one day i just couldn't start it and i had to get it towed and they finally admitted there was something wrong and i had to order a new ignition cylinder. fun [img]graemlins/thumbdown.gif[/img]

Senior TEAM Member

one thing to consider if you are going to use any kind of lubricant on a lock....

Don't use any wet based lubricant.... The lock mechanism is supposed to be so tightly manufactured to tolerances that the suspension in a wet based lubricant is actually enough to possibly cause the lock to seize.....

Granted, I know most people use WD40 and all that jazz and for 99% of the people it will work.

The only lubricant that should be used on any locks (no matter what it is for) is graphite (the little tubes of graphite lubricant). Stuff works wonders.

Just a recommendation.... I don't think it will fix the ignition cylinder freezing problem since from what I have gathered it is probably more along the lines of week materials inside the lock itself that are breaking and causing the seizures....