Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

James Barone Racing

TEAM Member

Default Re: Answer to MTX-75 Fluid Mystery...

Because ford put that fluid in the cars to start with. Dealer couln't get it so in went the ATF.

Regarding the information I found it applies to at least the 2001 Focus since this is the data found in the 2001 Ford Repair Manual.

It took the parts department 20 minutes to give me the correct answer regarding the fluid.

My suggestion is this. Since your 2000 Focus owner's manual specifies Mercon, then put in the Mercon ATF and leave it at that, but it specifies Mercon and not Mercon-V which is a synthetic fluid. If you own a 2001 or later, then use the Ford XT-M5-QS fluid. Also as a note, Ford does and will change specifications without notice to the consumer.

As a note, the dealership first came up with a fluid type of ***-**C186-* which is for the Merkur line of cars and not the Focus. The XT-M5-QS fluid specifically states that it is for the Focus.

The XT-M5-QS fluid is gold like [synthetic] gear-oil, but it is a bit lighter, flows much faster [than the synthetic gear-oil] and does not smell like gear oil and it lists for almost $15.00 (US) a quart!

[ 08-06-2002: Message edited by: G1-Focus ]</p>

Default Answer to MTX-75 Fluid Mystery...

Here's the answer as to what fluid goes in the Focus MTX-75 manual transmission.

Specifically the fluid is XT-M5-QS, which is "for use in Ford Focus manual transmissions and other applications which specify WSD-M2C200-C fluid".

THIS IS NOT ATF!

This oil is a full synthetic manual transmission fluid made for Ford in Germany. Again, it is not ATF.

Personally I am putting this back into the vehicle and not replacing it for a while so as to avoid the potential for repair/warranty mishaps.

Senior TEAM Member

Ok, so how do I find out if it's ok to put this in my 2000 MTX 75 that specified ATF fluid in the manual, and that has Synthetic ATF in there now?

TEAM Member

Why the questions about ATF when this thread answers the question.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by G1-Focus:
    Here's the answer as to what fluid goes in the Focus MTX-75 manual transmission.

Specifically the fluid is XT-M5-QS, which is "for use in Ford Focus manual transmissions and other applications which specify WSD-M2C200-C fluid".

<hr></blockquote>

The 2000, 2001, 2002 Focus factory repair manuals confirm "Manual transmission fluid WSD-M2C200-C" for the MTX-75.

The 2002 Focus factory repair manual confirms "Manual transmission fluid WSD-M2C200-C" for the MT285, i.e. SVT Focus.

The 2000, 2001, 2002 Focus factory repair manuals confirm "MERCON® V Automatic Transmission Fluid MERCON® V; XT-5-QM or equivalent" for the automatic transmission.

Incidentally, the 2000, 2001, 2002 Focus factory repair manuals confirm "Manual transmission fluid WSD-M2C200-C" for the iB5.

Thus it appears that ALL manual transmission Foci use the same specification manual transmission fluid!

$15/qt and a golden honey color confirms what BAT told me when they recommended Torco MTF, which I have hesitated to put in until the MTX-75 fluid mystery is satisfactorily resolved, since WSD-M2C200-C is only a material specification and not a viscosity or GL rating.

"XT-M5-QS replaced SAE 80W manual transmission fluid F2ZZ-19C547-A"

And it appears that this XT-M5-QS is specified for all MTX-75 back to 1995 and iB5 back to 2000.

[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: GTIspirit ]</p>

TEAM Member

bump

Ford MTX-75 transaxle fluid TSB

Service Tech Magazine/November 2001

[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: GTIspirit ]</p>

Senior TEAM Member

I have the Mobil 1 atx fluid in my 01 mtx. I know when you drain the fluid there is going to be some of the old stuff in there. Do i just drain what i can then re fill with the new stuff? Also is it ok just to put 2 quarts, not 2.1. I hate to spend an extra 15 bucks for .1 quart!!!! Thanks a ton!

bump, searched and found this.

thinking about doing the fluid swap on a 2002 Zetec, MTX-75. anyone know what RedLine fluid type to use?? been searching for a fr3akin' hour already! thanks!

TEAM Member

Redline 75-90 synth. gear oil is what I use.

So far it has been better than mobile 1.

L8r

BJ

TEAM Member

Originally posted by CDSilverZX3:
    bump, searched and found this.

thinking about doing the fluid swap on a 2002 Zetec, MTX-75. anyone know what RedLine fluid type to use?? been searching for a fr3akin' hour already! thanks!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I went from the OEM fluid (whatever it was) in my 2000 ZX3 to Redline D4 ATF to the XT-M5-QS Ford fluid.

The XT-M5-QS Ford fluid is 100% better than the D4 ATF in this application. I love Redline products and I have their MT-90 fluid in my MR2 Turbo, but for my Focus the XT-M5-QS Ford fluid beats the Redline hands down.

Here is the web page I wrote on this topic:

http://focus.noegruts.com/trannyoil/trannyoil.htm

Hope this helps.
    Jon
    http://focus.noegruts.com/