Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

fifteen52 | Project ST

TEAM Member

Default Is it possible to add a fuse to an empty spot in the fuse panel?

I'm installing a Spal power window kit in my ZX3. I need to grab power and fuse it, but I thought it would be cool if I could actually grab the power from the fuse panel and use the factory power window fuse spot since it's empty.

Is this possible or too difficult? I can see couple screws and clips holding in the fuse panel, but I'm thinking if I manage to dislodge it there might be a whole chunk of wires back there preventing me from turning it around to work on.

[size="1"][ 09-25-2002, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: mysterfxit ][/size]

Senior TEAM Member

Default Re: Is it possible to add a fuse to an empty spot in the fuse panel?

That may be all you need to do is install the fuse and no wires neccesary. The wiring may already be there.

Do you have a copy of the schematics?

TEAM Member

The wiring is completely separate from the car so I'll need to connect it to the fuse box somehow. Basically the power lines from the motor run from the doors to the switches next to my e-brake. The power and ground wires come off of the switches.

I think what noresull is saying, is that the 12V supply from the battery may already be connected to the empty fuse slots. that way you'd only have to tap off the fused hot to the motor and connect the ground to the screw or grounding plane.

TEAM Member

I see, I'll check that out. I can't use a fuse there then, I'd still have to run a fuse in the line. I'd still prefer that to tapping the ignition wire from the harness.

let me get a little more specific. You want to use the factory P/W fuse slot for your new kit. IF the 12V from the battery is already wired to one end of the fuse slot, you could connect your red wire that goes to the motor, to the other end of the fuse slot. then connect your ground wire to the ground screw. insert the appropriate fuse into the fuse slot, and now you are up and running. I am willing to bet that the 12V is already connected, so it wouldnt be very hard to do this. I hope this helps you

I would agree that the fuse box is already set up to accept a fuse so just plug one in.

Regarding removing the fuse box, it's easy. All of the wires that go into the fuse box plug into the fuse box so you just have to unplug the harness.

I bet that the wiring is already in the door because it's cheaper to make one harness (and one fuse box) for all. When you have an accessory such as a power window you simply plug the motor into the existing harness in the door.

The only way to find out is take the door panel off and see what's in there. You could then install a Ford factory motor, but you then would need to buy a Ford factory regulator that is designed for the power window as opposed to the existing one for a manual window.

Then buy a Ford factory window switch and away you go.

As an example, I had a 1990 Mustang LX. I wanted fog lamps. The wiring harness was already in the car so I got the headlamp switch for the GT that had the fog switch in it and swapped it with the one in the dash and for the fogs I simply connected my own wires to the existing plug ends found behind the bumper. The car also had the existing plug for the Daylight Running Lamps (DRL's) under the LF fender apron as well, so had I wanted to I could have gotten the module from Canada and had DRL's. The wiring should be there - again it's cheaper to build the car with one harness and plug in those accessories the customer wants.

[size="1"][ 09-26-2002, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: G1-Focus ][/size]