Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FJ Gear Store

Ray
    Driver > Car

Default Emissions Question (about testing)

So Connecticut is bringing back emissions testing. I have a question for those of you who know about the 'new' way to do this on the OBDII's.
    "1996 and newer vehicles need only a simple electronic test of the vehicle's computer that controls engine emissions.

New vehicle exemptions: Vehicles that are four years old or newer (Current model years 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004) are exempt from testing. Motorists will be notified when to obtain their tests."

Now my car is a 2002, but in 2 years i'll have to test.
    Right now i have an intake, a ported TB, JBA header, FC cat, FC flex, magnaflow catback, and diablochip that could affect my testing. I've never had a CEL.

Will any of these small affect my OBDII sensor? I think the one i would have the biggest problem with would be the diablochip... anyone know?

and, hopefully in 2 years i'll have a supercharger as well, if i get a CARB compliant one, that would be fine, right?

Senior TEAM Member

Default Re: Emissions Question (about testing)

Each state can be different in what they test for. I think you might have an issue, assuming that CT also does a visusal equipment inspection as part of the emissions test, with having a non standard cat, meaning one that isn't OE, even if the car passes an OBDII or sniffer test. I beleive that there is a Federal regulation covering when you can install a non OE cat. As for the S/C, that shouldn't be a problem-I passed the VA dyno emissions test with better than stock results and the inspector said that the S/C alone is not cause for rejection. I also had the OE cat in place then. As for the chip, you could remove it and reset the computer and it should be fine. Superchips stated that their chip I used to have in my JFA8 2000 ZX3 is emissions compliant, I don't know about Diablo. Of course, if you do install a S/C you would want to remove the chip anyway.
    It all come down to state reg's for the other stuff-some states are a lot tougher on exhaust and intake mods.

Ray
    Driver > Car

Default Re: Emissions Question (about testing)

thanks for the info. if i do get a SC i will have to remove the diablo chip anyway, you're right.
    in two year's i'll probably have over 60,000 miles on my car, so hopefully the non stock OE cat wont be an issue..