Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

James Barone Racing

Default car shakes when accelerating past 60mph

mkay this is really annoying me because i can't find the possible cause.

when i accelerate over 60 mph, my car shakes. initially i thought that the new tires i just purchased were not balanced properly, so i took it back and had them checked. they were re-balanced with new weights, and the tech even showed me that they balanced at zero on the machine.

then i thought maybe one of the VF poly mounts had broken. i checked them all, but they are all still intact and in very good shape. i have all 3 mounts BTW, and they make for an awesome, solid ride.

i am stumped here, and it's really bumming me out... the SVT shouldn't shudder and shake when i stomp on the accelerator. and it's only when i am accelerating. when the car is cruising, say at 65 or 75, or whatever speed... it is smooth. only when i stomp on the accelerator does it shudder, and this only happens around the 60 mph mark or above.

any ideas anyone?

Senior TEAM Member

Default Re: car shakes when accelerating past 60mph

Bearings?

TEAM Member

does it shake in the wheel? like a steering wheel shimmy or is it felt in the seat?

how many miles on the car?

Senior TEAM Member

does it shake in the wheel? like a steering wheel shimmy or is it felt in the seat?

how many miles on the car?
    Ditto, any recent mods? Have you performed any services latley? (i.e. oil change, fuel filter)

If it shakes the wheel have you tried rotating your tires?

Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off. ax0n's Avatar

Tie rod ends, inner tie rod ball joints, control arm ball joints. Any of them could cause this kind of behaviour. It could also be something completely different, but that's where I'd start.

TEAM Member

lets isolate where its coming from first. just because the balance was at 0, doesnt mean the road force variation was low enough not to cause a vibration.

might just want to check if wheels are balanced

i have a feeling it may be isolated in the driver's side axle... the cv boot was damaged awhile ago and i have neglected getting it repaired for 2 reasons... too lazy or too busy. i'll see if that narrows it down.

blown struts. everytime. been there done that, have the T-shirt.

TEAM Member

i have a feeling it may be isolated in the driver's side axle... the cv boot was damaged awhile ago and i have neglected getting it repaired for 2 reasons... too lazy or too busy. i'll see if that narrows it down.

OMFG... yeah, i would have said that, had you mentioned it earlier...

blown struts can cause it too, but thats usually accompanied by other symptoms.

is it the inner CV boot? or outer?

Ford Focus Shakes when I accelerate. (5 dr hatch 2005 CLS, Australia)
    Four New Tyres ( Good Year Ducaro GA 195/65R15 ) = Now my car shakes on acceleration from about 70km’s up. Then as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator the shaking stops completely. When I am cruising at about 110Km’s it is fine again.
    I have had the car checked and checked again with no result
    1st Time = Original Purchase place (Wheels Balanced and aligned) NO CHANGE
    2nd Time = Original Purchase place (Wheels Balanced and aligned) NO CHANGE
    3rd Time = Independent Tyre Service Centre (Did not balance took for test drive and insisted it was a mechanical problem)
    4th Time = Ford Service Centre = (Wheels Balanced and aligned = Complete front end mechanical check) no result and insisted it was a tyre problem. NO CHANGE
    5th Time = Original Purchase place + Tyre Company Rep (Wheels Balanced and aligned tested with no change, then four new tyres (the same ones – not happy about that decision) were put on the car and tested with NO CHANGE) My original tyres were then put back on.
    6th Time = Independent Mechanics Service Centre = (Wheels Balanced and aligned + Front end checked with no result). NO CHANGE
    7th Time = Independent Tyre Service Centre #2 = (Wheels Balanced and aligned on brand new state of the art machine) slightly better but overall - NO CHANGE.
    PLEASE: If you have any ideas on how to help me I would very much appreciate your help.

You don't have any warped hubs, do you?
    04 ATX Zetec sedan, FSW Cool-Flo, e2kIM, ported TB, header, TruBendz exhaust, UDP, SVT suspension, CFM tranny mount, Steeda RSB, SVT FSB, FSW tune

32" HDTV posted in Garage Sale!

CarDomain Page

Since I had the same problem as Scoatsy, I thought I'd share my solution. It was the inner CV joint (passenger side) on my 2002 zx5 with 68,000 miles. The boot was damaged for quite some time as I found dried and dusty grease coating the engine parts around the boot. After sliding the boot back from the tri-pod bearing joint, I saw that the grease was almost completely gone and when I packed it an re-clamped the boot, the problem disappeared immediately. I followed up and replaced the entire half-shaft then found a deeply worn groove in one of the 3 cup lobes. Have you solved your shakes yet?