Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Tire Rack 2

Senior TEAM Member

Default What does an exhaust leak sound like?

Well, I got my car back from the shop (local, NOT Ford dealership) after dropping it off this morning. I took it in to have, what I thought was an exhaust rattle, checked out.

When I picked it up today, they did the following things:

1.) checked all heat shields; all were tight and placed correctly

2.) check exhaust alignment; everything was WAY off (f'in performance shop that installed it this past summer ). So, they realigned everything back to how it SHOULD have been It turns out that the exhaust was starting to melt my back bumper Whoops.

3.) found an exhaust leak between the flexpipe and catback. My guess is that the screwed up exhaust alignment destroyed the gasket between the flexpipe and the catback.

So, the noise I originally took the car in for sounds like a dirtbike. It's hardly noticeable when you're driving the car, but when you rev it at a stop, you can barely hear it. It's most noticeable from 2-3500RPM (shop said so as well). I thought it was a heat shield since it sounded really "metally" even though it was real quiet.

Can an exhaust leak sound like this? I've heard they "hiss" and part of me thinks that I do hear hissing after 4000RPM, but I'm not really sure since I never paid attention to exhaust noise prior to hearing the dirtbike-like sound.

So, I ordered a new gasket from FocusSport to replace the wornout flexpipe-to-catback gasket.

Does it sound like I'm sane on what the problem is? The shop said that exhaust leaks can sound exactly how my car does and with the car up on the lift, they easily pin-pointed noise coming from the flexpipe-to-catback.

--Dan.

Default Re: What does an exhaust leak sound like?

Heh, I take it that I was somewhat on target about your exhaust being out of alignment/adjustment?

Anyway, the flexible portion of the flex pipe has probably failed. There's maybe a SLIGHT chance that the gasket between the CAT and the flex is messed up, due to fitment.

Based on the sound you describe, it sounds exactly like when my old FS Flex pipe died. When my flexpipe was removed, there was black scoring around the mesh, clearly indicating a leak.

Edit: when I had that problem, my car sounded like a raspy lawn mower. OR, worse, like a worn out 80's econobox.

Senior TEAM Member

Heh, I take it that I was somewhat on target about your exhaust being out of alignment/adjustment?

Anyway, the flexible portion of the flex pipe has probably failed. There's maybe a SLIGHT chance that the gasket between the CAT and the flex is messed up, due to fitment.

Based on the sound you describe, it sounds exactly like when my old FS Flex pipe died. When my flexpipe was removed, there was black scoring around the mesh, clearly indicating a leak.

Edit: when I had that problem, my car sounded like a raspy lawn mower. OR, worse, like a worn out 80's econobox.
    Yes, you were right about the alignment , good call!

About the FS flexpipe... the thing has only been on the car since this past June! I mean, could it go bad THAT fast; I doubt it... Is the RandomTech highflow cat causing it to wear out or what?

--Dan.

Mine wore out in a seemingly short time - Like, within the span of a year.

I'm really unsure why it would die. I mean, I had mine connected to a FC High-Flow cat and a stock exhaust. I remember being absolutely certain that my exhaust had just rusted out, just beyond the connection to the flex pipe.

My FS flex was rather old in age (it sat around, new, for a long time) and I acquired it for cheap, so it wasn't a big deal. It also didn't fit well on either end, forcing me to drill out an eyelet on each side for proper mounting. That's why I thought maybe there was an issue with yours and where it connects to the Random CAT. It should otherwise mate with ease to the FS exhaust system, so I kinda doubt there is a gasket problem on that side. Besides, wouldn't that shop have mentioned this as being a problem, anyway? They did take it apart and re-equip it, no?

If you're going to investigate replacing a gasket and subsequently take things apart - is there someone near you, who may be able to let you bolt-in a known good flex pipe? That might be worth the hassle.