Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Central Florida Motorsports

Page 1 of 24 123411 ... LastLast
    That one was just me not paying attention....and sucking j20000's Avatar

Exclamation New Ignition Cylinder Help. Now with Pics!!!

Thanks to Steve (FORDSVTPARTS)...he helped me with this a few weeks ago...so I used most of his instructions, and added some stuff. Everybody's had problems with this...and everybody thinks that it is going to cost a ton of money, or you have to drill it out...well you dont...here it is:

1. To replace the cylinder you just remove the column shrouds to gain access to the cylinder, you will need to be able to turn the cylinder to remove it the easy way.

2. If you are having probems getting your key to turn then try the old "hit it with the palm of your hand method". This should be enough to get the key turned.

3. Turn the steering wheel 1/2 turn to the right so that you have easy access to the lock cylinder, and some working room. With the key turned to the "on" position, there is a small hole in the housing, that the cylinder goes into, that faces towards the driver, Use a small pick or philips screwdriver or whatever will go in the hole, push in the release pin inside the hole and the cylinder slides right out.

4. If you absolutely can't turn it you will have to drill it out or take it in somewhere and have the job done.

5. Once the old cylinder is out the new one slides in by aligning the "d" shape inside and it will now work, Thats it.

Note: Most dealerships will build the cylider to match your keys, some charge for this and others don't. Just call the parts department, give them your VIN...and they can look up your Key Code, cut you a Non-Programed PATS key, and build your new ignition cylinder off of that. Or you can take them your programed key (if you have a spare). If you are like most if us that leave your key in the ignition once you start having this problem...DONT TAKE IT OUT. This will help you in the removal of the broken cylinder. Hope this clears up everyones questions.

Last edited by j20000; Feb 18, 2006 at 5:17 PM.
    NEW: 2009 Ford Fusion SE - Blue Suede Package, 18" painted aluminium wheels, sport tuned suspension. GONE: -2003 SuperBlack 350z with a bunch of cool stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyFoci
    I could handle 4-8 inches... 2 feet might be a bit much for me.

Default Re: New Ignition Cylinder Help.

are you talking about me!
    08.5 Metropolitan Gray MS3 GT "BABY WAGON"
    INJEN cai/hks bpv/dp/exhaust/hpfp/boost tubes/catch can/corksport fmic/Cobb ap
    "Freaktuned"
    291whp/331tq 91 oct.
    303whp/347tq e85 mix

Senior TEAM Member

so is it best to get a focus replacement cylinder then? cuz I heard something at one point about getting a explorer cylinder and they can cut it to your key and that it doesnt have this problem. how much are the cylinders?
    [STOP LOSING YOUR JOBS PEOPLE, CANT YOU SEE IM TRYING TO GET HIRED HERE]

Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor Z63R's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j20000
    Hope this clears up everyones questions.
    Dude, this is a huge help.

Thank you in advance should I ever need these instructions.
    "Wine tasting isn't bad, but given the choice, I'd rather drink left-over beer and replace brake pads." - OmniFocus

2.3 Duratec ZX3 + some bits

Quote Originally Posted by Z63R
    Dude, this is a huge help.

Thank you in advance should I ever need these instructions.
    Anytime Chris...I do what I can. Since I have had my car since 2000, I have had pretty much every problem one could have with a Foci.
    NEW: 2009 Ford Fusion SE - Blue Suede Package, 18" painted aluminium wheels, sport tuned suspension. GONE: -2003 SuperBlack 350z with a bunch of cool stuff

TEAM Member

EDIT: FocalJet Sponsors only, please.
    Last edited by OmniFocus; Sep 23, 2008 at 12:59 PM.

Rookie

Question Re: New Ignition Cylinder Help.

got one question.... well, maybe a couple. right now, i can't get my key to turn at all. i've read somewhere that a slide hammer will do the trick, but do i have to have the key turned in order to make the slide hammer work, or can i just screw a screw into the keyhole and pull it that way?

second question... i ordered a motorcraft cylinder to replace the old one, how do i key it or will i have to have a locksmith do that?

i really hope someone can help me...

you can have any of the parts guys at the ford dealership set the tumblers for your key. You should be able to jar the ignition loose by putting the key in the ignition and hitting the key with the palm of your hand a few times. you only need to turn the key that one time to get it out. If you cant get it...then the job does get a little tricky. You will have to drill it out. I dont really have an answer for you on the slide hammer, as I have never done it...but I would try to get the ignition cylinder loose by the method I mentioned. Good luck...if you have any more questions...feel free to send me a PM and I will do the best I can to answer them.

Rookie

My key will go in and out of the ignition cylinder with no problem, but the key will not turn at all. My steering wheel is locked and I can't move it for anything. Should I just give up and take her to the dealer or is there another way to get the cylinder out? I don't have much money being a single mom....please help!

Senior TEAM Member

Did you try to pull the wheel to the left while you pound on the key and turn it? Try it and let us know if it works.

Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off. ax0n's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackgrrl23
    My key will go in and out of the ignition cylinder with no problem, but the key will not turn at all. My steering wheel is locked and I can't move it for anything. Should I just give up and take her to the dealer or is there another way to get the cylinder out? I don't have much money being a single mom....please help!
    Seriously, you're in a situation where drilling it or getting professional help is needed.

I'm still driving around with a big hole in mine

I am Teds custom title. Not anything like the one he had when we were at the Apple store in Tampa. VizualXTacyZX3's Avatar

oh yes,im glad you posted this because im about to hit my 3rd lock ign. cylinder

so i appreciate the instructions with photo's
    Ted/Brooklyn/VizX
    Lace Up Til You Face Up.
    Facebook
    TweetTweetTweet
    '10 Kia Forte EX - Missin my '00 RF ZX3!

Hey, its the least I can do...I turn my misfortune into a learning experience for all

Rookie

Talking Re: New Ignition Cylinder Help.

Quote Originally Posted by ax0n
    Seriously, you're in a situation where drilling it or getting professional help is needed.

Actually the day after this I hit the key with a hammer and it has been working OK ever since!

I still ride with a spare ignition cylinder and a printout of these instructions in the glovebox just in case

Page 1 of 24 123411 ... LastLast