Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FSWerks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TEAM Member

Default How to check the timing belt ?

Hi, I have a 2002 Wagon (Zetec) with 60k miles.

Today I went to the garage for an oil change, and afterwards the guy told me the timing belt was cracked and should be replaced ASAP.

According to the scheduled maintenance at myfordfocus.com, it's scheduled to be changed at 120k miles.

I've looked around a bit and I can't seem to get a look at the timing belt. Is it possible to check it out without removing the cover? The mechanic didn't remove anything (except the oil filter of course).

Thanks in advance for your help.

TEAM Member

Default Re: How to check the timing belt ?

Ooops, this was supposed to be in Team Tech. Please move.

Senior TEAM Member

He likely means your accessory belt...you can't see the timing belt while doing an oil change.

That said, you shouldn't have it done at that place anymore if they don't know the difference between the two.

You Can't Make Me Laugh KonaZXIII's Avatar

Fords interval for changing the timing belt is either 100k, or 120k. Somewhere in there. I'll assume you didn't take it to Ford.

If the "tech" actually checked it (it's kind of a pain), he would have been there for a while searching for the bolts to remove the timing gear cover (and expose only part of the belt) to inspect it.

If it is cracked, which is possible, it does need changing. What the "tech" that told you it was urgent doesn't know, is if your car does throw a belt, your engine will not be damaged. It's a non interface engine.

I've changed a timing belt with help from a old hot rodder with all the right tools, but I'm not confident enough to post a write up.

You Can't Make Me Laugh KonaZXIII's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FocusOnPunk
    He likely means your accessory belt...you can't see the timing belt while doing an oil change.

That said, you shouldn't have it done at that place anymore if they don't know the difference between the two.
    Yeah, and what he said.

Senior TEAM Member

That would be pretty funny if the tech said that about a duratech. "Your timing belt is cracked, we can replace it though", "to bad my motor has a timing chain, not a belt".

But like they said, unless your cam gear cover is off, you cannot see the belt from an oil change. And I highly doubt he went through the trouble to take off the cover to check it. If he really meant your accessory belt, thats possible, so id look at it just to make sure its ok.
    2011 MS3 LSM: SURE TorqR3 / SURE Countershift / SURE Aeros SRI / CorkSport boost tubes / CorkSport TIP / CP-E TMIC / OBX Racepipe + res delete / PAD Occ kit / Forge BPV V1 / Cobb AP Stage 1+ 93oct (tuned by me ~16psi) / Autotech FP Internals + DO Stage 2 Meth + 19psi Coming Soon!

[FJ] Addict
    Little Saint Clara, Isle of Queen Califia

Its VERY LIKELY you've got no problems at all, and they're just trying to sell you a bill of goods.

This "garage" wouldn't happen to be a JiffyLube would it?
    The queen of the missions....

so let me see if I got this right. if the timing belt snaps in my friends soon-to-be 2001 turbo zx3 at 5 psi in midst of boost, his motor wouldn't get damaged? or do i have it all wrong

tia

and sorry for bringing such an old post back to life

Currently listening to:
    The Thong Song

Depends, the main thing that timing belts like to do is bond valves to cylinders, which cant happen on a stock zetec
    2006-2009 Copper 2005 ZX5
    2009-2010 Red 2008 SE Coupe
    2010-now Velocity Red 2010 Mazdaspeed3
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkThunder View Post
    Oooooooh pm me the full pic of your wifes snatch!!! I just got me a fresh bottle of Jergins!!!

I'll Buy YOUR car for $10,000!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nstabl View Post
    so let me see if I got this right. if the timing belt snaps in my friends soon-to-be 2001 turbo zx3 at 5 psi in midst of boost, his motor wouldn't get damaged? or do i have it all wrong

tia

and sorry for bringing such an old post back to life
    it wouldnt be a good thing.......

when boost comes into play, alot of things change.
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"

Is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

Senior TEAM Member dj_kurruption's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by venomrogue View Post
    it wouldnt be a good thing.......

when boost comes into play, alot of things change.
    But not how far your valves open.

If your friend has stock cams, a stock head (not milled), and a Zetec engine, he will not bend valves if the timing belt breaks.

I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing... rpvitiello's Avatar

zetec you are safe, although some techs in aftermarket may not know better because i have seen some generic timing belt books incorrectly list Zetec motors as interference motors.

I will say use the ford "tool" (machined peace of straight metal) and don't use generic tools to lock the Zetec motor, its allot easier to just use a specific tool to do the timing belt!

Also when I worked at Volvo we started checking timing belts at 60k (yes we actually pulled the cover off) and even though they shouldn't, some of those belts were starting to look like crap and get all cracked, so I guess it depends on environment but the timing belt can start to become noticeably deteriorated in the right conditions before the "recommended" service interval.
    In another place

Quote Originally Posted by FocusOnPunk View Post

If the shop does more than oil changes, they are looking for things to sell you on. Every car that I work on I have to inspect it for anything I can sell you on. If I can access the timing belt relatively easy, I'll take a look at it to see if its cracked or frayed. If I can sell it, Its at least a 5 hour job.

It isnt hard to pull back the plastic top timing cover to get a look at the belt.

and BTW, dont wait for 120k miles to change it. I'd do it close to 100k unless it looks excessively worn. A little money now can save you alot later. I know the zetec in non interferece but if it breaks, you'll be paying for a tow and having to scramble for arrangements for an unplanned vehicle down time as well as getting the money for an immediate unplanned expense.

NM, holy old thread!
    TXFO V.2.0

Hank Williams might have been a love sick drinker but being a love sick drunk don't make you Hank. -Sons of Bill-

I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing... rpvitiello's Avatar

ha yea i noticed it was an old thread so i was trying to keep info more "genera" than to that to the specific instance

Yea i think ford is a little overly optimistic in its recommended service interval on its timing belts. Based on how they wear that seams to be cutting it pretty close to its breaking point.
    In another place

TEAM Member

The only old parts I do not ask to be placed on the passenger side floor are the old oil filters. I get everything back, belts, plug, brake stuff etc.
    Nice learning for me and keeps them honest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast