Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Perfect Circle Autosport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premier Sponsor

Default Coded ignition lock cylinders-look in here

Hey all, with all the issues with ignition cylinders I thought I would post this as a way to help as much as possible.

We can code a new lock cylinder to match your existing keys.

The new cylinder is $49.46 and I do have to cut a key blank for $1.65 (non-pats) to test it, the one catch there is that I can not ship precut keys due to Ford policy.

Shipping a coded cylinder is fine because it won't do you any good without the keys.

I just need a VIN or key code and the fee for coding the cylinder is $20.00.

So basically it would be $78.61 coded and shipped (UPS ground) which is about $20.00 less than retail on the cylinder alone.

My details are in my sig but the number is 1-800-328-9552 ask for Steve or Mike M.

If your cylinder is jammed or completely locked up you may want to take it in for repair but if it's just starting to act up it's easy to do at home.

Cylinders that are not completely trashed can usually be lubricated and made to work quite well for quite a while, just see your local locksmith for good grease.
    Last edited by FORDSVTPARTS; Jan 11, 2007 at 2:02 PM.
    Autonation Ford of White Bear Lake (formerly Tousley Ford) Proudly helping forum members build and maintain their vehicles with OEM and Ford Racing parts since 2004.

Now accepting online orders here http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

You can also find us here http://forums.focaljet.com/tousley-ford/

Default Re: Coded ignition lock cylinders-look in here

i imagine silicone will work fine it? iv replaced 2 other ford key cylinders before (some reason its just fords lol)
    2000 Camaro Z28 M6 - TSP 2.5 5.3 Heads, 228/232, FAST 92/92mm intake :coolman:
    2003 SVT Focus M6 (#3389) - Clear Corners, 2.5" Cat-Back, !Clutch Sensor !Counter Weight

I Now Post Stupid **** Jibberish18's Avatar

i imagine silicone will work fine it? iv replaced 2 other ford key cylinders before (some reason its just fords lol)
    Holy old post Batman. I don't know what is "proper" to use in an ignition cylinder BUT I personally use dry lube with PTFE for all the locks around my home. Tried Graphite but it's bull****. I don't know how the hell you're suppose to get that stuff in the lock itself. Dry lube sprays as a liquid and quickly dries up and leaves a fine powdery residue that lubricates very nicely.
    "If You Never Had The Bad Times, How Would You Know You Had The Good Times?" -DEATH

Premier Sponsor

I use a white lithium lock cylinder grease, the new cylinder kits actually include a small tube of it to use during assembly.

Works great.
    Autonation Ford of White Bear Lake (formerly Tousley Ford) Proudly helping forum members build and maintain their vehicles with OEM and Ford Racing parts since 2004.

Rookie

Mine just started acting up on Friday. It's intermittent. The car is stuck at a friends house (with the windows partially down -_-).

Is there a lube that's safe to just squirt in the key hole, to see if I can at least get it back to my place? Once it's there, I'll be able to swap the cylinder myself.

Tousley dude....if i bring you my key tomorrow, can you program me a new cylinder same day? I'll PM you as well.
    I want my SVT

Premier Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by breon
    Mine just started acting up on Friday. It's intermittent. The car is stuck at a friends house (with the windows partially down -_-).

Is there a lube that's safe to just squirt in the key hole, to see if I can at least get it back to my place? Once it's there, I'll be able to swap the cylinder myself.

Tousley dude....if i bring you my key tomorrow, can you program me a new cylinder same day? I'll PM you as well.
    We don't need your key, we just need your VIN. It'll save you time if you just call ahead with it so we can build it and have it ready for you.

TEAM Member

Have they made a replacement lock cylander yet that will not start failing after 1 week yet? I have replace a ton of these including my wifes and they all have been failing and yes I am using genuine Ford parts.
    Part # SW-6285
    5S4Z-11582-BB
    2000 Focus SE SPI, LEMON FIXED AND REPAIRED DAILY
    57 3200 pickup 454, TH400, 9"
    97 Dodge 4x4 318

TEAM Member

how many key's do you have on your key ring? excessive weight has been known to screw them up. thats the only reason that i could think of that they fail so often on you.
    2009 octane blue Lancer Ralliart:
    3in Turbo XS TBE, K&N drop in, Evo 9 BPV, Tuned by Ivey Tune 260 hp 280 Tq
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/craigb3

Premier Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by LT1s10
    Have they made a replacement lock cylander yet that will not start failing after 1 week yet? I have replace a ton of these including my wifes and they all have been failing and yes I am using genuine Ford parts.
    Part # SW-6285
    5S4Z-11582-BB
    As far as I know the ones we have built have been staying together without any trouble.

The key is using a ton of assembly grease when you put it together.

And yes, a big heavy keychain will kill a lock cylinder very quickly.

My 2002 SVT now has 85,000 on it and I still have the original ignition cylinder in it.

Senior TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by LT1s10
    Part # SW-6285
    5S4Z-11582-BB
    yes they have. there is a tsb out that has an updated lock cylinder.

tsb number is 05-21-17

and the updated lock cylinder part number in this tsb is 5S4Z-11582-BB
    98 Cavalier Z24 - RK Sport Intake - Daily Driver
    87 Mustang GT - BBK Headers, Mac Intake, O/R H-pipe, Stinger Cat-back - Under Construction
    -George-

Question Re: Coded ignition lock cylinders-look in here

I just had my '01 Focus at Ford for a Link Stabilizer problem. while there I had them check the ignition problem everyone is tlaking about, which I was told would be $340. I saw the post about doing it yourself and it seems pretty uncomplicated even for someone lacking in mechanical skill such as myself.

So to make a short story long the cylinder you send out, will it match the key I have now since you can't send a key out with it? probably a stupid questions, but oh well, haha

Also, being new here, i also had them check out my shifter which doesn't want to let the button depress to get it out of park. Is there a sticky or a useful post about it on ehre as well?? anyone had this problem and fixed themselves? Is it easy? cost? I was told it is the interlock solenoid for the shifter

Thanks everyone for listening to a noob here!!!!

Premier Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by BryE23
    I just had my '01 Focus at Ford for a Link Stabilizer problem. while there I had them check the ignition problem everyone is tlaking about, which I was told would be $340. I saw the post about doing it yourself and it seems pretty uncomplicated even for someone lacking in mechanical skill such as myself.

So to make a short story long the cylinder you send out, will it match the key I have now since you can't send a key out with it? probably a stupid questions, but oh well, haha

Also, being new here, i also had them check out my shifter which doesn't want to let the button depress to get it out of park. Is there a sticky or a useful post about it on ehre as well?? anyone had this problem and fixed themselves? Is it easy? cost? I was told it is the interlock solenoid for the shifter

Thanks everyone for listening to a noob here!!!!
    The cylinders we build will work with your existing keys.

Not sure about the shift interlock solenoid issue, The catalog asks if it's a square or round solenoid. I can also figure it out by VIN.

Well first off, hello, and thanks for all of the excellent posts. Tonight I was supposed to go out and celebrate my 34th birthday..I get in my car and go to start it and the key wont even go in all the way. I messed with it till I was blue in the face...I sprayed a little lubricant on the key and got it in, but alas, it will not turn. I'm going to try to use the drill trick with a reg key as soon as I can get somewhere to get one made. Happy Birthday to me. SO is it a bad idea to go tapping on it with a hammer to see if I can get it to turn? Is position 1 far enough to get the cyl. out? Looks like I'll be giving you a call very soon....I'd hate to think that I'm going to have to drop $300 that I dont just to get this fixed...

Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by FORDSVTPARTS View Post
    Hey all, with all the issues with ignition cylinders I thought I would post this as a way to help as much as possible.

We can code a new lock cylinder to match your existing keys.

The new cylinder is $49.46 and I do have to cut a key blank for $1.65 (non-pats) to test it, the one catch there is that I can not ship precut keys due to Ford policy.

Shipping a coded cylinder is fine because it won't do you any good without the keys.

I just need a VIN or key code and the fee for coding the cylinder is $20.00.

So basically it would be $78.61 coded and shipped (UPS ground) which is about $20.00 less than retail on the cylinder alone.

My details are in my sig but the number is 1-800-328-9552 ask for Steve or Mike M.

If your cylinder is jammed or completely locked up you may want to take it in for repair but if it's just starting to act up it's easy to do at home.

Cylinders that are not completely trashed can usually be lubricated and made to work quite well for quite a while, just see your local locksmith for good grease.
    Just a note - I phoned Mike M. and he quoted me 103 and change plus shipping.

He explains that prices have gone up since the original post in this thread was made. That's OK, I just thought I'd put it in this thread so others know before they call.
    2002 Red SVT #2946 of 4788 - Bone stock.

Rookie

Hi, I bought an 02 Focus in December as a project (engine is blown). The previous owner had a problem with the ignition cylinder and bought a replacement, but the key for that cylinder is different from the doors (which use the original key); adding to the trouble is the fact that he did not have the new keys reprogrammed for the anti-theft. So in order to start the car, what he did was remove the lower steering column shroud, then he removed the sensor ring from around the cylinder, leaving it hanging alongside the cylinder. so to start the car, you have to take the old key and put it alongside the sensor ring, then put the new key into the cylinder to start the car.

To make a long story longer (!), I am aware that I can take both sets of keys, along with my title and registration, to a Ford dealer and he can program the new key. However, I would prefer to have only one set of keys for the door and ignition, so what I wish to know is if I can remove the existing cylinder and have it recoded (by either the Ford Parts dealer or a locksmith) to fit the old keys? If I can do that, does anyone know how much it would cost me?

Thanks for your help in this regard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast