Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Perfect Circle Autosport

Default What does Ford use for oil in a new car out of the factory?

I've noticed that on the last few new Ford's I've bought, the oil that it comes with from the factory does not smell like your off the self dino or synthetic oil.
    I'm talking about that new engine smell, which is the same if you smell the oil on the dipstick.

Anyone know what type/brand they use and if it's any better than what's readily available at your local auto parts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Panther
    Because eatin' ain't cheatin'

Don't Call Me Gaga!
    Home of the unloved orphan automobiles. (CA)

Default Re: What does Ford use for oil in a new car out of the factory?

It may contain some assembly grease and oils that alter the look and smell too.

Mayhaps?
    I have too many cars.

TEAM Member

It could be a special Oil for Motor break in that you dont have to change for 3000 or so miles. that way after driving you car for a week you dont need a oil change.

when breaking in a new motor with new cams usualy you run the motor at diffrent RPM's and you use a thicker oil and you change it after I think a 6 hour run or 300 miles....
    2001 ZX3 2.0L Zetec (On it's second life)-
    Motor - SVT Header, SVT High Flow Cat, SVT Flex pipe, SVT MagnaFlow CatBack, IceMan intake tube, FS coolflow Air Intake, FC 65 mm TB, Screamin' Deamon Coil & wires, FS 91 Octane Tune
    Trany - Steeda Tri-Ax/f shifter with RS shift knob, FS Alum Flywheel, Luk Gold Clutch,
    F2 TurnKey Tranny with 4.06 gears
    Suspension - FS Strut Bars, Eibach Sway bars, Koni Sport Kit, VF rear engine mount, LCR Camber Plates

TEAM Member

I believe it's the motorcraft oil and it's a synthetic blend on most cars.
    "It takes a special kind of stupid to do what I do!"

I use Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic, Amisoil and various dino oil and the smell is nothing like anything I've smelled except on new engines.

All 3 of my last new Ford cars have had this smell.
    If you go to the dealer and drive a new car for a test drive and open the engine bay, you'll know what I'm talking about/smelling.
    First I thought that it was some sort of coating on the engine that burns off but I checked the oil on my GF's new Escape and the oil has the smell as well on the dip stick.

I'm just wondering if it's something special or may be a type/brand that's better than their recommended Motorcraft oil that perhaps we should be using ??
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Panther
    Because eatin' ain't cheatin'

TEAM Member

maby one of the best ways to find out is get lab testing done on the "factory" oil on your first oil change and then on the second oil change when you have sued some thing esle compare the diffrent stats. That should tell you if a Syn. or factory is better.

It might just be due to the new motor, having oil in 500 Gal Drums... Just pulled that number out of my butt. But I am sure they dont fill it up with individual quarts.
    2001 ZX3 2.0L Zetec (On it's second life)-
    Motor - SVT Header, SVT High Flow Cat, SVT Flex pipe, SVT MagnaFlow CatBack, IceMan intake tube, FS coolflow Air Intake, FC 65 mm TB, Screamin' Deamon Coil & wires, FS 91 Octane Tune
    Trany - Steeda Tri-Ax/f shifter with RS shift knob, FS Alum Flywheel, Luk Gold Clutch,
    F2 TurnKey Tranny with 4.06 gears
    Suspension - FS Strut Bars, Eibach Sway bars, Koni Sport Kit, VF rear engine mount, LCR Camber Plates

Its dino oil thats combined with the moly assembly lube thats used on the crank and cam bearings/lobes.

Dino oil is only good for break ins. You need the bearings to wear in and the rings to seal, synthetic oil is just too slick for that. You CAN break in an engine with synthetic but the break in period is longer.
    TXFO V.2.0

Hank Williams might have been a love sick drinker but being a love sick drunk don't make you Hank. -Sons of Bill-

Senior TEAM Member

Several people have come in concerned that the oil coming out on the first oil change has a green tint to it. I inquired and found that it has an additive for engine break in that makes it green. Also they said up until a certain date they'll stick with the dino oil, after that it's synthetic blend across the board. Our dealership has switched and all our local stores don't carry motorcraft dino, only synth blend. Kinda freaked me out too first time I saw it. haha.

g
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
    - Benjamin Franklin, 1759