Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

fifteen52 | Project ST

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TEAM Member

Default Automatic shifter stuck in park

I previously posted this thread about the brake switch http://forums.focaljet.com/team-tech...ke-switch.html. That did not fix my problem and now I am trying to fix the mechanism that allows the shifter to shift out of park. Does anyone know what wires I should look at replacing or what part to replace?

TEAM Member

Default Re: Automatic shifter stuck in park

with the switch removed and you working it by hand, does it move out of park? it could be only an ajustment, make sure the switch plunger is all the way out when stepping on the brake pedal

WARNING: This post may be hazardous to your health.

brake lights

TEAM Member

I've checked the brake lights, they are fine. The switch works fine too. I've replaced it once already. I also opened up one of them and both switches are operational. It's a very simple switch that basically is just a bar of metal and a spring. I've checked the brake fuse also. Sometimes I can shift out of park, sometimes I can't. I end up using the override half the time. I had this problem a couple of years back and took it into the dealer. They said it was some soldering issue. I have an electrical engineering degree so I can handle any electrical issue. I just don't know where the wires run too.

TEAM Member

Besides tracing the wires manually,and tearing the car apart,try to get an
    electrical schematic from someone that works at a dealer,if you can. Then you
    can test the continuity of the wires from both ends of the circuit much easier
    to see if you have any open circuits or shorts. If the fuse for the circuit is good,
    then your best bet is to find where the power is interrupted or which solenoid
    is getting power,but is defective. I shouldn't have to explain this to an
    "electrical engineer",do I? Just kidding. Good luck.

TEAM Member

Will this manual have the diagram that I need?

Senior TEAM Member

Did you ever determine a solution to your problem? This issue has been popping up on me from time to time and getting worse...
    Peace is attainable.

TEAM Member

I took my car into the dealer a while ago and they ended up changing out the entire shifter assembly. Cost me about $300 at the dealer. The part number that they replaced is "7S4Z 7210 C". I hope this helps others with the same problem.

Rookie

I have this same problem, however I managed to narrow it down.

There is a small solenoid at the base of the shifter lever. It has a small plastic nub that retracts when the brake pedal is pressed. When the nub retracts you can push the shifter button. On mine this only works sometimes.

However this nub is also somehow used for sensing if the car is in park or not. Pushing it in manually locks the key in the ignition! This part is molded as part of the bottom of the shifter assembly, so yes they would have to replace the entire thing.

I was getting ready to leave work early one day due to a big snow/ice storm coming our way, only to find I couldn't shift out of park! I screwed around with it for an hour before I called a local Ford dealer to ask what I could do. Turns out there is a bypass next to the shifter. Pop the cover off and push a screw driver into it. Got to drive home in the peak of the storm, took almost 2 hours to drive 24 miles

Oh, and the bypass worked twice, before it broke and fell into the shifter assembly.

I ended up taking the center console out of the car so I could shift again and have still not put it back in..... Nice to know I have to look forward to a $300 repair.

My issue is very similar to this but only the key will not come out of the ignition! Tried tapping the key with a hammer (lightly of course even though I wanted to break the thing apart) and I also found the shifter will shift without pressing the brake pedal!

The dealer said its about $700 to replace! I've had tons of issues with my focus whether the tires keep going bald even after new alignment has been done and rotated regularly or the doors would be hard to open. Does anyone know if anyone else has had this issue or similar to it?

no idea about the key/shifter issue, but if you're still going bald after alignments and rotations, you should check into the struts. you may need to replace them.
    www.powerbassusa.com
    www.autoexpressions.net

if you take the internet seriously, get help ASAP.

Rookie

I am having similar problems and any info would be great, my car keeps popping fuse 54

TEAM Member

2004 Focus Wiring Manual
    Gearshift lever unit has 6 wires, From the schematic
    Color is stated as such e.g. GN/BK is a green wire with a black strip,also sizes are in metric

SPST switch, that is the overdrive cancel switch, both wires are .75mm2, one wire[PIN 5] is GN/BK, other wire[PIN6] is GN/BK
    Light bulb illumination, the 12+ wire[PIN 4] is .5mm2 OG/BK, the ground wire[PIN 1] is .75mm2 BK HOWEVER, internally the ground side is connected to the movable switch contact that can go to either 1;2;D;N;R;P
    1;2;D;N;R are all connected together and the connecting wire[PIN 2] is .5mm2 BK/YE and provides part of the ignition interlock
    The Park interlock solenoid, the wire goes to the stoplight switch [PIN 3] and is .75mm2 GN/WH, the other side of the solenoid internally goes to the 'P' position and if the gearshift is set to Park, then internally goes to the ground side of the lightbulb illumination
    Last edited by mikeeshaq; Feb 20, 2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: detail

Senior TEAM Member

Ive got an auto shifterbase laying in my garage if anyone needs it... I'm pretty sure it has the solenoid and everything still on it... and it worked fine when I pulled it from the car...

pm me if you want it... I'd sell it for cheap

-AcId-
    2002 - Twilight Blue ZTS
    Built Engine, Getrag 6spd w/ Quaife,Garrett GT3071R turbo, Tial BOV/WG

2003 - Onyx Black Z71 Tahoe
    Loaded out the wazzu... 3" Lift & 315/70/R17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs(On DD Duty)

TEAM Member

Someone in another thread about a fuse blowing all the time found a melted wire Green white strip that got melted to the mechanism
    Probably got near that solenoid that gets hot (my assumption)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast