Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

MFactory Competition Products

Pam

Default Engine will not stay running

HELP!! I have a 2002 Focus ZTS with 67k miles. Yesterday after driving about 30 minutes, I stopped, ran an errand for maybe 5 minutes and when I tried to start the car it acted as though it was flooded. The only way it would start is if the gas was depressed and as soon as I let off the gas the car would die.

I had it towed finally to a Ford dealer after 30 minutes of trying to get it to stay started. They told me today it started fine for them and they have driven it and can't find anything wrong.

Has anybody had this experience? I am scared now of being stranded again.

Thanks somebody for your help.

P.S. This site is great! When my fan only worked on 4, this site told me what was wrong and even the part # to fix it and it only cost me $15!

Rookie

Default Re: Engine will not stay running

If you were matting the throttle, the ecu cuts fuel to the injectors, which in turn allows you to start the engine when you've cranked it too much and it flooded. So, that would suggest perhaps you have a leaky injector, or possibly a fuel delivery problem. Its just a possibility not a diagnosis.

Firing up an engine is all about compression, fuel and spark. If you have spark and your plugs are good, and I assume your compression is just fine, then you very well may have had some fuel hiccup.

TEAM Member

sounds like you might have clogged injecters.the next time you gas up add a bottle of fuel injecter cleaner its like 2 bucks i hope that fixes your problem

p.s. welcome to the forum

I had a similar instance before and it was actually due to a failed mass airflow sensor.

It can be quite diffcult to diagnose something like this, especially if it's intermittent. But I'll toss this over to the Team Tech section for better input.
    Richard
    2002 ZTS | Sangria Red |
    Over 519,000 km and 324,000 miles
    2012 SE Sport | Red Candy | Over 47,000 km and 29,000 miles

[FJ] focaljet - Forum Guidelines - Welcome to the Jet - 2012 Focus - Team Canada - FJ Store - Sponsors - SEARCH

I'm bringing Zetec back... REVSWIN's Avatar

I am stumped on this one. The mass air could be a source, but I do not think the car would turn over if it was bad. Maybe a I am wrong. I had a bad mass air on my Trans Am and it did not turn over. It was just dead.

If you have an AutoZone near you have them check for a code. Just tell them you had a code but it went away. A code may show up, and if it does let us know what it is. Other than that I don't know.
    2001 B7 fOCUS ZX3 powerworks
    2002 B2 fOCUS ZTW

CCW I Forgeline I OZ Racing I P5

Pam

I think the problem was vapor lock. It was explained to me that by turning my car on and off so many times within such a short period, and having a dirty fuel filter would cause this so I had the fuel filter changed and hoping for the best. He says if it ever happens again to give it a couple hours for the gas to cool and refill the line. Sounds good to me !

Thank you for all your suggestions.

you dont have a return fuel line, vapor lock is impossible. The service writer is telling you something he came up with because the techs cant duplicate and isolate the problem.

and "DougoeFre5h" Im not sure thats true. To my knowlege the throttle input makes absolutely no difference in the starting parameters. Everything is a set value and adaptations only occur and in limited capacity, once the engine is operating on its own.
    TXFO V.2.0

Hank Williams might have been a love sick drinker but being a love sick drunk don't make you Hank. -Sons of Bill-