Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Tasca Auto Group

Senior TEAM Member

Default Replacing lug stud on rear drum

I probably barely need to explain what happened, and now I have a broken lug stud. I did alot of searching already, and found alot of info, but I have a few more questions.

1.) It seems the easiest way is to leave the drum intact, and remove the whole drum by the 4 bolts in the back. Is this accurate? Where is the brake-line and how is it removed? Anything else holding the drum on? (I haven't look down there really)

2.) When removing the broken stud, it seems it gets hammered out, no? From which side of the drum do I hammer, front or back? And from which end is the new stud inserted?

3.) How much would a shop charge for something like this, if my hand tools prove to be overmatched.

Sorry for the noobish questions, but I have never poked around the rear drums before.
    2004 CD Silver, SPI, MTX Sedan
    "oh, FJ is like drugs......it keeps putting ideas in your head, and its habit forming...."
    Quote Originally Posted by astiesi
    An audi hatchback? I don't even know you anymore...

Default Re: Replacing lug stud on rear drum

its easier to pull the back bolts if you dont have a 32mm socket and air tools handy.

Dont remove the brake line. the wheel cylinder is attached to the backing plate, you are not removing that.

hammer the stud out from the front. On the back you will see the flat end of the stud. I'll be pretty clear when you see it. obviously, hammer the new one in from the back.

This is going to be a real pain in the ass if you dont have an air hammer.

I would expect to pay about an hour to have this done at a shop.
    TXFO V.2.0

Hank Williams might have been a love sick drinker but being a love sick drunk don't make you Hank. -Sons of Bill-

Senior TEAM Member

so, once I pull the four back bolts, how does it come apart after that. Does the entire drum come off with the bracket, or just the drum itself. I am wary of pulling, prying, or banging on things without knowing where they separtate.
    "oh, FJ is like drugs......it keeps putting ideas in your head, and its habit forming...."

the drum and spindle will come off. you'll probablly have to beat and pry on it a bit as the shoes usually stick to the damn drums.
    TXFO V.2.0

Hank Williams might have been a love sick drinker but being a love sick drunk don't make you Hank. -Sons of Bill-

Senior TEAM Member

TXFO, your help was invaluable......I got it taken care off. Turns out the drum wouldn't come off because I left the e-brake on. Once that was off, the rest was pretty much pie. When I broke the stud last night I thought I was screwed.....thank God it was a $2 fix. Thanks again for the advice!

Senior TEAM Member

Hey, I just pulled mine apart and had the same problem with my brakes. I forgot that I had set the e-brake before I jacked up the car and was scratching my head about why the drums wouldn't separate from the backing plate. Pretty funny how little things like that can totally throw you off.
    Lookin' fast in the slow lane
    RIP, Jellybean (11/16/2001-6/16/2008)...you will be greatly missed.

2003 Infra Red ZX3 SVT-Totally stock...FOR NOW!