Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

fifteen52 | Project ST

TEAM Member

Default How do i unlock my steering wheel?

I cant get my key to turn and my steering wheel is lock. The only thing i can do is stick the key in but it wont turn. My car has been been sitting out side for 4 weeks beause of the ignition switch. I really need my car for work. So please some one help me!!!!

Currently listening to:
    The Thong Song

Default Re: How do i unlock my steering wheel?

grab the steering wheel and turn it slightly the way it will turn and hold it in place, it will move a little, then turn the key....ta da
    2006-2009 Copper 2005 ZX5
    2009-2010 Red 2008 SE Coupe
    2010-now Velocity Red 2010 Mazdaspeed3
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkThunder View Post
    Oooooooh pm me the full pic of your wifes snatch!!! I just got me a fresh bottle of Jergins!!!

What year is your Focus?

Some 2000 and 2001 models had a bad reputation of the ignition lock seizing up causing this problem. Do as Focusfre4k suggested first and then report back.
    Richard
    2002 ZTS | Sangria Red |
    Over 521,000 km and 323,000 miles
    2012 SE Sport | Red Candy | Over 60,000 km and 36,000 miles

[FJ] focaljet - Forum Guidelines - Welcome to the Jet - 2012 Focus - Team Canada - FJ Store - Sponsors - SEARCH

TEAM Member

Some folks have tapped their key with a hammer if it is frozen up. If you get it working, replace the lock cylinder ASAP. Search around here and you will find PLENTY of info.

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaroonZX3
    Some folks have tapped their key with a hammer if it is frozen up. If you get it working, replace the lock cylinder ASAP. Search around here and you will find PLENTY of info.
    It should be noted that this is risky, and only to be attempted if you are sure the ignition cyliinder is done for.
    2001 Focus Wagon SE - 205,000 km - Zetec, 5 Spd, Black, Stock

TEAM Member

Thanx guys for your support..i tried the tap method with the hammer and it worked perfectly.its was like BINGO!!!!.the hammer is my bestfriend for now..lol...but once i take out the key i gotta do the same thing again. so what do u guys suggest i should do? new lock cylinder or what?

my car has been doin it for a few years now...i dont even need my hammer i just smack it with my hand

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by norcaljess
    Thanx guys for your support..i tried the tap method with the hammer and it worked perfectly.its was like BINGO!!!!.the hammer is my bestfriend for now..lol...but once i take out the key i gotta do the same thing again. so what do u guys suggest i should do? new lock cylinder or what?
    You can buy a new lock cylinder for around $80 from Ford. It's very easy to replace the cylinder, and it's quite simple to match it to your existing key.

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by norcaljess
    what do u guys suggest i should do? new lock cylinder or what?
    Yes, ASAP. Before it gets worse and the hammer trick doesn't work anymore. Ford (and many locksmiths) sell an updated lock cylinder made by Strattec. It has the key in the center instead of slightly offset like the original.

Yeah, if you don't replace it soon, you will be drilling it out like me. And that really sucks.

poe

Quote Originally Posted by hoagie666 View Post
    Yeah, if you don't replace it soon, you will be drilling it out like me. And that really sucks.

Ok, so I go to start my wifes 2001 ford focus & the key will not go all the way in. Tried everything here and nothing worked. How do I drill it out? And once it is drilled out how to I unlock the wheel in order to pull the ignition switch out? Thanks for your help.

"Shut Up man, get on my horse" Armanduhx3's Avatar

Drilling it out is not fun.
    2011 Honda CR-Z -> MY LOVE. | 2003 Honda s2000 gpw/tan-> RIP :( | 2001 Focus zx3 -> Goodbye
    I don't give any reason for anyone to hate me. They create their own little drama out of jealousy
    Quote Originally Posted by GrndZero View Post
    ooohhh, a lube pack :eek:

same problem i had stuck the key in but it would not unlock. don't waste your time replacing it yourself there just going to give you one that has problems go to ford and tell them your problem and they will give you one that you will never have this problem again i know. this happened to me even the ones you buy from auto stores may fix it temporary but if you want it fixed for good go get one from ford. and yes it was a recall.

the newest one should be chrome. sorry about problem. it happened to me and it sucks.
    03jme

03 zx3 duratec 2.3l 17 inch black ford racing rims, custom blue inside with leds, bbp cat-back exhaust, with carbon-fiber resonator.