Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

fifteen52 | Project ST

Default What does bad axle/CV sound like?

Hey guys,

I just pulled the transmission, replaced my clutch and throwout bearing, and reinstalled everything.

AS you know, pulling the axles is part of the process. When I pulled the passenger side, the axle shaft separated from the intermediate shaft. Before reinstalling it, I put the two back together and installed them as a unit.

After I installed everything and got it running again, I took it for a test drive.

When accelerating, all is good. The new clutch is grabbing sooner, and everything sounds good.

However, when at a constant speed, especially around 30-40mph in 4th gear, and then slightly accelerating/blipping the throttle, I hear a knocking noise that sounds a LOT like a rod knock - but obviously not. It is either axle or clutch related. I will say that 90% of the time, if I press the clutch, the noise will go away instantly. This seems to point towards a clutch problem, but it could also point to the axles/CVs as releasing the clutch will take the 'load' off of the joints.

Any ideas?

Any chance it may be a mount? The top mount on the trans, and the passenger motor mount was fine. How can I test the dog bone on the bottom?

Any way to check the CV's?

Thanks in advance,
    Shawn
    (ZX3FociChic's husband)

TEAM Member

Default Re: What does bad axle/CV sound like?

CV's in the halfshaft can sound like a knock. You can check CV's by removing the boot and checking for play in the ball, but that requires the removal of the boot. As you are describing it, it sounds like the ball seperated from the race. When that happens you have to replace it. You can't just pop it back in and move on, without taking the boot off to insure it goes in the race correctly.

IMO with boots costing 14 - 20 each and a new halfshaft costing 70, I would just replace the halfshaft. CV joints are usually only good for about 150k anyways.
    Later
    -Bryan
    2013 Focus SE - Daily Commuter
    2013 Laguna Seca Boss - Weekend Fun Car and investment
    2012 F-150 XLT - The family and car hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Anomaly
    CV's in the halfshaft can sound like a knock. You can check CV's by removing the boot and checking for play in the ball, but that requires the removal of the boot. As you are describing it, it sounds like the ball seperated from the race. When that happens you have to replace it. You can't just pop it back in and move on, without taking the boot off to insure it goes in the race correctly.

IMO with boots costing 14 - 20 each and a new halfshaft costing 70, I would just replace the halfshaft. CV joints are usually only good for about 150k anyways.
    The ball definitely pulled out of the race, as you are naming them. I was reading how to uninstall the passenger axle on this forum and it said just tug on it. So, I did, and the axle separated from the intermediate shaft.

So, you are saying that these two being separated could be my issue, and should be replaced? I figured you could just slip them back together and reinstall the boot.

Would this cause the knocking noise when under light load?

Thanks in advance,
    Shawn

TEAM Member

Is the passenger side intermediate shaft bearing still in the bearing retainer? The strap with two nuts that attach to the engine block.
    2004 ZX3 2.3L Pitch Black, Manual - to be installed: Cosworth IM, CFM 67mm TB, AEM intake ,OBX header, Borla exhaust, CFM UPD, CFM BSD, Crane stage-1s, 4.06 FD, Torsen T2, Exedy OEM clutch
    2001 ZX3 Infra Red, Automatic - returned to stock

Yes,

the intermediate was still in place and seemed to be in good shape. They all make a little noise, but it wasn't nearly as noisy as some of the other ones I have heard - not moaning yet when I drive it.

I believe the problem is actually inside of the transmission - I think when the shift-tower bolt broke off, it fell between the gears and chipped a tooth.

Now that the transmission is back in (even though the bolt is now removed), it caused some damage I didn't see when I inspected the trans visually.

So, now, I can drive it as is and hope it doesn't get worse - or tear it back down and go through the trans.

Sucks - but I guess it beats buying a new car and getting stuck with a payment for 5 years.

SQ