Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

OVERBOOST

Smile Windshield Wiper Fluid Motor Help

I need help with my Washer Fluid motor in my 2002 SVTF. I was out on a trip for 3 weeks so my car sat for a bit.

When I try the front or the rear washer, nothing comes out, I don't hear the motor. I live in FL and its been in the 70's all week. I bought a container of the blue stuff and put about 1/3 of it in to test it. I didn't fill it all the way in case I have to pull the system apart and it would be a waste.

I just looked in my manual and I didn't see anything listed for the fluid motor. Page 218-219.

Do I need to fill the reservoir all the way for it to work? I never had this issue before but don't ever remember running out of fluid. I must have run it pretty low before because when I refilled it, I used up a whole container and half.

If anyone has a website that shows how to access the wiper fluid motor with pictures, that would be great.

Thanks
    '11 MINI HT JCW
    '07 Nissan Altima
    '92 Mustang LX 5.0

TEAM Member

Default Re: Windshield Wiper Fluid Motor Help

Do the wipers still function correctly? Just nothing sprays out?

You should be able to have any amount in there for it to spray.

You checked your manual for a fuse?

TEAM Member

Yeah, a small amount will work. The pump itself is behind the splash cover at rear of driver side wheelwell. Get down there close and have someone work pump, you'll hear it if working. There's lots of water around there, could just be a bad connection at motor plugin, maybe just pulling cover and finagling with the connector may make it work. If you've filled it after running empty, takes a bit to purge pump of air, especially for the back.

So Broke, Wipers function so i can throw water on the windshield at home before I leave to clean. I remember hearing a motor running when the sprayer worked.

I did check the manual for a fuse. page 218 - 219. Nothing is listed. I checked it twice.

amc49, I held the lever for the washer fluid for a good minute or so. Only the wipers work. Nothing come out of the front or the back.

Does anyone know the fuse the wiper motor is connected to? Nothing else seems to be not working so I really don't know where to start besides pulling random fuses out and checking to see what else is not working.
    '11 MINI HT JCW
    '07 Nissan Altima
    '92 Mustang LX 5.0

Senior TEAM Member

I have this same problem and ive concluded that its just shot. They are actually pretty cheap to replace, just a minor pain to get to.
    03 Comp Orange SVTF

Does anyone know the price of one new or do I need to raid a junkyard?

Anyone have a picture or a website that walks you through a replacement?
    '11 MINI HT JCW
    '07 Nissan Altima
    '92 Mustang LX 5.0

Senior TEAM Member

I just got a new one from the dealer for like 22 bucks. Thats all you do is remove the drivers side wheel and fender liner. This will expose the washer tank. Ther are 3 10 mill bolts holding it on. One is on the top of the inside fender one is under the hood by the filler, and the final is to the right(if looking into well. Once these are off then you can slide the tank to the side to access the pump which attaches directly to the tank. It just pops out of place and has 2 hopses connected and a harness. Its not hard at all. The longest part is taking the fender liner out, which i diddnt do i just undid the bolts and folded it down, but that gives you a bit less room to work with.
    03 Comp Orange SVTF

Thanks for the info. I call PepBoys and they wanted $60 for the pump and another $28 if I didn't bring back the old one for them to rebuild? I think the guy mixed it up with the wiper motor.

AdvancedAutoParts had one for $30. I'll give my Ford Dealer a call or stop over on the way home.

Do you have a part #?

Thanks
    '11 MINI HT JCW
    '07 Nissan Altima
    '92 Mustang LX 5.0

Senior TEAM Member

i will find it for you but the ones at advanced and what not are universal which are not bolt in like the oe units.
    03 Comp Orange SVTF

OK, I bit the bullet and did it, yeah, only two small plastic screws in the wheel well and one bolt underneath that also holds the side skirt. Then I found two bolts that held the tank in place. Really interesting shape of a tank.

I got the pump/motor out and Ford quoted me $21.99. Now I just need to verify it was getting power all along or/and run 12V to it straight and see if it runs or it really is dead before I order a new one.
    '11 MINI HT JCW
    '07 Nissan Altima
    '92 Mustang LX 5.0

Rookie

I also appear to have a dead washer pump.

I looked up the electrical diagram and the pump appears to get power through the fuse that powers the front wipers (F54 or F56 I forgot exactly). My car is a ZX3 so the pump is connected in such a way that the switches on the column will ground one side or the other to get the pump to pump each way. The outlets are then run to either the front windshield or the rear glass.

Rookie

I just fixed mine. It was a broken wire leading to the pump:

http://forums.focaljet.com/6823001-post4.html

Before you remove the pump just jumper the battery to the connectors on the pump. Mine fired up right away. I tried it in both directions (by reversing the polarity) and it worked. Then I found I had an open circuit on the connection from the switch on the column to the pump. Repaired it and now it's working.