Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Tasca Auto Group

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default anybody removed a stuck axle nut?

i've taken several off, but this one is tight. im gonna replace the outter cv boot, but can't take the axle nut off. i used my breaker bar and it snapped after i used a 5ft cheater pipe on it. even tried the impact wrench and nothing. anybody used a slip (quick) cv boot and how long it lasts? i got a one piece but i think the nut is not gonna come off
    Quote Originally Posted by spinwax
    I got caught masterbating once. Fail. :(

TEAM Member

Default Re: anybody removed a stuck axle nut?

be careful i stripped my threadson my axle. is it possible to cut your old nut off and replace with a new one.

do these cars have staked axle nuts? if they do you need to unstake it before you try to remove it. you will strip your axle threads just like 2svt said. There will be a notch in your axle and the axle nut will be indented into that notch. you need to shape it back out of the notch before you try to remove it ( I hope this makes sense) I usually get mine off with an impact gun.

[FJ] Addict

Use the blue wrench man.

Seriously, well... that usually works, but since there's a bearing in there too... I dunno. You might not have a choice but to make a big mess, decide which parts you want to save and sacrifice the rest. If you've already broken a breaker bar... There's not much more you can do.

Only other thing I could think go to a truck or tractor repair place, and see if they can use one of their huge impact guns on it, then put it back on lightly.
    "I'd rather be right than consistent" - Winston Churchill

Senior TEAM Member

those nuts are factory torqued to over 200ft lbs... and sadly enough... need to be that tight to keep the wheel bearing in check...

your best bet is to soak it down with a GOOD penetrating oil for a few days... if that doesnt work... you might need to heat it up with a torch (just the nut) and make sure not to focus too much heat on the shaft or bearing area.... then get out a larger breaker bar...

9/10 times... most impacts wont take them loose... when i do mine... i have a 3/4" dr. 4' breaker bar and it still takes quite a bit to break them loose...

btw... you will need to purchase new nuts from the dealer... esp. considering how much trouble these are gonna be to get off....

and no... its a single nut... if you "unstack" it... you destroy it...

good luck!!
    -AcId-
    2002 - Twilight Blue ZTS
    Built Engine, Getrag 6spd w/ Quaife,Garrett GT3071R turbo, Tial BOV/WG

2003 - Onyx Black Z71 Tahoe
    Loaded out the wazzu... 3" Lift & 315/70/R17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs(On DD Duty)

unstake it not unstack it. apparantly you dont know what im talking about. I should take a picture but I probably wont. yeah, you will need a new nut if it is the staked kind. my impact is just a 1/2" drive and hasnt met an axle nut that it couldnt take off yet. if you need a 3/4" to take off 200 Ft/lb nut then you need to get a new 1/2". get one with some balls

Senior TEAM Member

problem is... that is an original torque number... so... a nut thats been at 200+ ft. lb's for 50k+ miles can be interesting to get off... esp. this specific nuts locking design... but anyways

-AcId-
    2002 - Twilight Blue ZTS
    Built Engine, Getrag 6spd w/ Quaife,Garrett GT3071R turbo, Tial BOV/WG

2003 - Onyx Black Z71 Tahoe
    Loaded out the wazzu... 3" Lift & 315/70/R17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs(On DD Duty)

Premier Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by ase_tek
    unstake it not unstack it. apparantly you dont know what im talking about. I should take a picture but I probably wont. yeah, you will need a new nut if it is the staked kind. my impact is just a 1/2" drive and hasnt met an axle nut that it couldnt take off yet. if you need a 3/4" to take off 200 Ft/lb nut then you need to get a new 1/2". get one with some balls
    They aren't staked. I've also never had any trouble removing them.

A "good" breaker bar with an extension should do it every time. Leverage and decent tools will do it every time.
    Autonation Ford of White Bear Lake (formerly Tousley Ford) Proudly helping forum members build and maintain their vehicles with OEM and Ford Racing parts since 2004.

Now accepting online orders here http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

You can also find us here http://forums.focaljet.com/tousley-ford/

i've removed several before. even took the ones from the 86 monte and none were that stuck. car is a 98 tracer with about 100K miles on it, for a small car its on pretty tight.

i bought a split type cv boot today and thats what im putting on. the axle is fine, but should last as long as the boot. BTW, im taking it to get an alignment done to it

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jlongoria9
    i've removed several before. even took the ones from the 86 monte and none were that stuck. car is a 98 tracer with about 100K miles on it, for a small car its on pretty tight.

i bought a split type cv boot today and thats what im putting on. the axle is fine, but should last as long as the boot. BTW, im taking it to get an alignment done to it
    If that is the nut you're trying to remove..then it's 'staked'....see the dent in the top on the outer ring...similar to what used to be a true 'staked' nut. They bend that in to the groove on the shaft to stop the nut from coming undone. You'll need to get that 'dent' out before you'll move the nut dude.
    goldse - I was about to say.... that looks like a big crack !
    Dato - And, if he still tries anything, use your l33t skills and un-dent his eye sockets.
    CheaperSleeper - Why the hell can't women just "ding" like a microwave?
    -------------------
    2003 fully loaded ZTW daily driver
    1986 Merkur XR4Ti, and 1978 Firebird Formula..another project

Don't Call Me Gaga!
    Home of the unloved orphan automobiles. (CA)

You might step up to a 3/4" breaker bar.

...but I'd replace the axle, because those threads are going to lose that battle.
    I have too many cars.

TEAM Member

With care, he should be able to get the stake up without really touching the threads. Just be using a thin cold chisel or similar, it's possible. Just keep it in the groove.
    goldse - I was about to say.... that looks like a big crack !
    Dato - And, if he still tries anything, use your l33t skills and un-dent his eye sockets.
    CheaperSleeper - Why the hell can't women just "ding" like a microwave?
    -------------------
    2003 fully loaded ZTW daily driver
    1986 Merkur XR4Ti, and 1978 Firebird Formula..another project

Senior TEAM Member

Like someone else above said, Focus original nut is laminated or "stacked" from several pieces, it becomes self locking from that and does not need staking. Also, the axle has no notch to stake at. Staking used on Ford cars through the late eighties and early nineties. Laminated type can be used more than once unless you got trouble like this guy. When he gets it off, he will need new nut. Maybe it's rusted on. I've always worried about that but never ran into it. They always came off with a cheater bar.
    Last edited by amc49; Jan 27, 2009 at 3:16 AM.

we'll see how the split type boot works. if it fails (which judging by the looks of it, it will) i will take a cut off wheel to the nut and replace the whole axle

The picture posted above is exactly what I was talking about. you need to use a chisel or centering punch and hammer. you can get that crease (stake) out so you dont damage your axle threads. I dont think this design is outdated, Toyota still does this one a lot of their 09' models. You will need a new nut. when its time to put it on torque it to spec and make sure you re-stake it. use a chisel and hammer to punch it back into the groove on the axle. If you do buy a reman axle it should come with the nut. good luck which ever way you go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast