Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Tire Rack

Default 2005 Focus overheating issue

I recently bought a used 2005 Focus ZX4 SE (manual transmission) with about 53000 miles, so I don't know the maintenance history.

On the highway, my temperature gauge will sometimes start creeping up from dead center towards the high end. It tends to happen if I'm going about 70 mph, with the engine around 3,000 RPM. It doesn't seem to happen if I'm driving slower in a lower gear but still at 3,000 RPM, but admittedly I don't do this very often so I can't say for sure it wouldn't happen. It also only happens if I don't have the fan on high or temperature set to the highest.

Once it does start creeping up, it will sometimes sort itself out and go back down after reaching about 2/3 of the way to redline with no intervention on my part.

Usually, though, the temperature keeps climbing. When it gets close to redline, I can turn the heat all the way up and the fan on high and the temperature pretty quickly returns to normal.

I brought it to a dealer, but because the problem is intermittent, they weren't able to reproduce the problem so didn't have much to report other than coolant levels are normal and both the engine side fans are working properly and to bring it back in if it keeps happening.

Anybody got ideas about what this could possibly be?

Additional information: the heater works great and doesn't ever blow cold air. In fact, it gets so hot with the heaters on high when it does start to overheat that I have to crack the windows in the car, even in the cold MN winter. I also have noticed that the engine seems to get up to temperature very quickly - much quicker than any previous car I've owned.

Thanks!

TEAM Member

Default Re: 2005 Focus overheating issue

Sounds like your thermostat is sticking or something is making it to stick.

Senior TEAM Member MrBirdman330's Avatar

Thermostat.
    Basically its a place where HOLDEN and FORD fans go to have a massive fist fight and then, in the interval when the paramedics goes in some times a car race breaks out! - Richard Hammond

Thanks for the input. I'll call my Ford dealer and ask about getting that replaced. How much should that run?

I've got more info in case it changes the possible diagnosis. When this happened a few weeks ago, after I got home, I let the car sit for a little over an hour and then checked the coolant level in the overflow reservoir and it was just above min. This weekend it happened again and I checked the overflow reservoir after a couple hours and it was right up to the max line.

Still sounds like a faulty thermostat?

Thanks!

Thermostat itself should only be like $20 at most. The labor involved.... well, you can replace it yourself for free?
    04 ATX Zetec sedan, FSW Cool-Flo, e2kIM, ported TB, header, TruBendz exhaust, SVT suspension, Steeda RSB, SVT FSB, FSW tune

32" HDTV posted in Garage Sale!

CarDomain Page

The issue turned out to be that somebody installed a thermostat housing for the wrong year Focus before I bought the vehicle. I brought it back to the dealership I bought it from and they paid to put in the correct thermostat/housing and the issue seems to be fixed now - only driven it for 50 miles or so, but no problems before when there would have been if not for the fix.