Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Butler MacMaster

Thread: Trunk Leak

TEAM Member

Default Trunk Leak

Hey guys, on my second focus, both had an issue with a leaky trunk. Got rid of the first one before I could find it. The problem just popped up on the second one. Noticed a rancid smell so I stripped the back. Sure enough there was a 1/4" of brown water keeping my spare tire company. I drained it using the hole in the bottom, I'm just wondering where the water is coming from.

Is this a reoccurring problem on the hatchbacks and if so, where is the leak/how can I get at it/fix it? Cuz my car is STANKAY.
    STOCK!
    1999 Taurus SE: Keep her running
    2000 Cloud 9 ZX3: Part Deux 8-)

TEAM Member

Default Re: Trunk Leak

I have a ZX3. Im having the same problem. Mine only happens tho after it rains hard or rains for a couple of days. Ive run the water over the hatch to see where the leak is, but also can't find it.

Senior TEAM Member

mine just started doing it to. first it started coming in from the wiper, and now i noticed that its coming in from the passenger side. probably from the where the tail light goes into the hatch area. But iv gota wait for it to rain again to find out for sure.
    I drive a stock-ish 05 gutted hatch. Occasionally bottle fed.

I <3 UC^3

I noticed mine leaking too Jer early last week with all the hard rain we had. I'll take a look and let you know if I find anything.

You might want to leave the hatch carpet out too. Mine was soaked and reeked.
    Joe

2013 Oxford White ST
    1985 Nimbus Grey Merkur XR4Ti

Have a Focus ST? Check out FJ's partner site, Focus ST Network

TEAM Member

Yeah, did so Saturday and let them all dry in the sun (Large floor cover and 2 side covers). The whole back was soaked, and there was that nasty water in the tire cutout.

The floor cover had mold on the underside, so I used some watered down bleach to clean it and the entire back out, then let it air dry in the sun with the hatch open, almost all day. Finally doesn't smell...I will leave all the cloth out of my hatch for now.

I got my car used (as I'm guess many others did) but I have these patchs in the hatch, just wanted to make sure they are normal. There is a silver sticky cover over a vent on the right side. The cover is about 2-3" by 6-7" and does not look like it came on the car, but thats just a guess.

It could either be leaking there or through the strut top. Thats my guess as of now, but I'm going to leave it opened and wait for more rain...Let me know what you guys find. For now I'm just happy my car doesn't smell like rotting food.
    STOCK!

I <3 UC^3

Febreeze works miracles. I let mine dry out and then soaked it in Febreeze. No more smell...at least until it rains again. My car had the gym locker smell going on.

Mine isn't that bad where I get standing water, but the carpet is wet to the touch. My car doesn't have any silver patches in the hatch, just some black sound deadening.
    Joe

2013 Oxford White ST
    1985 Nimbus Grey Merkur XR4Ti

Have a Focus ST? Check out FJ's partner site, Focus ST Network

Rookie

I am also having the same problem. I'm going to take the trunk panel out this weekend and wait for it to rain. I can't wait to fix the problem.

If it's leaking from the wiper arm, is there a good fix? Silicone?

TEAM Member

I had the same problem, has been happening for a while. I took out the taillights and tried to go at it that way....but nothing. Let me know what you find out, and I will keep looking for a fix too.
    02' zx3 liquid grey, volant intake, massive wires, screamin demon coil, ice,interior work, indiglo guages,hawk hps pads, brembo rotors, Mach1 HID, B&M STS, rear engine mount now with prothane, Focus Fuel car 16" rims, cosworth exahust, and saving for suspension.

o hey guys this problem was happening to my 03 zx3 but it was under warranty they just replaced all the seals on moon roof rear hatch, and doors. and they did something to the rear wiper motor. i dont know if they did anything else but he said it will never leak again.

Since it was under warranty the 30 day they had to fix it right away. i noticed water in the tire well and the carpet was a little wet. but i dried the carpet really well after they fixed it and so far so good.
    Last edited by 03JME; Apr 6, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
    03jme

03 zx3 duratec 2.3l 17 inch black ford racing rims, custom blue inside with leds, bbp cat-back exhaust, with carbon-fiber resonator.

Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by 03JME View Post
    o hey guys this problem was happening to my 03 zx3 but it was under warranty they just replaced all the seals on moon roof rear hatch, and doors. and they did something to the rear wiper motor. i dont know if they did anything else but he said it will never leak again.

Since it was under warranty the 30 day they had to fix it right away. i noticed water in the tire well and the carpet was a little wet. but i dried the carpet really well after they fixed it and so far so good.
    How long ago did you have this done after you've purchased the car? I mean, is it under some sort of Ford's national warranty thing? I have an 03' and bought it second hand from a honda dealership. I'm guessing my warranty is over.

Dev

Mine was filled with water over the rainy season as well. I just cleaned it out and noted it. Hopefully I can locate the issue while it dry.
    DD 2006 CVPI

TEAM Member

Alright people in the north east, we have some rain here.

Left all the carpeting out of my trunk, lets see if we can find this leak today....
    STOCK!

Rookie

Fingers cross

just a little tip so to find the leaks he sat there and taped paper all over the back door and took a hose and soaked the back of the car and that how he found them.
    03jme

03 zx3 duratec 2.3l 17 inch black ford racing rims, custom blue inside with leds, bbp cat-back exhaust, with carbon-fiber resonator.