Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

fifteen52 | Project ST

Rookie

Default Rubber brake hose collapse - is this possible?

Just wanted to see if anyone has had experience with one of their rubber brake lines collapsing?

I've been troubleshooting a sticky caliper and saw posts about different kinds of cars with collapsing brake hoses and how it makes the caliper appear seized (ie a check valve kind of behavior). I don't understand how a hose (Especially a rubber line) could collapse when under large pressure from the inside out.

Thanks.

TEAM Member

Default Re: Rubber brake hose collapse - is this possible?

You should remove the suspect brake caliper and hose to it. See if the caliper piston
    moves freely by use of a c-clamp or whatever you've got available. If the piston moves
    in and out freely, I'd just replace the brake line, and bleed the brakes. Should be fine after that. Good luck.

Rookie

I might try that since the driver side seemed to slide easier than the passenger side when I opened them up with a C-Clamp. I know it shouldn't be the slide pins since I've lubed them up with lots of copper antiseize and before that I tried the synthetic high temp brake lube.

I just don't understand how a hose could collapse like i've read about online.

Here is what you do to diagnose the problem.

1) Get the caliper to stick
    2) Open the bleeder
    3) see if the caliper is still stuck.

If the caliper is still stuck, you have a bad caliper
    If the caliper is free, you have a bad hose
    2010 Blue Flame Focus SES Sedan 5sp. Loaded 139 WHP 135 WTQ
    F2 Header, FSWerks Stealth Exhaust, Steeda STS, Steeda rear mount, FSWerks CAI, FRPP Suspension, Saleen Sway Bars, HID headlights/foglights
    04 Sonic Blue Ranger XLT Ext. Cab 4x4 4.0 M/T
    Magnaflow Split Rear Exhaust, K&N Intake, Tune by Hypnotic, Lund Racerback, Westin Brush Guard .

Rookie

Simple enough. I'll try it out.

Thanks.

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by zx3r_type View Post
    Here is what you do to diagnose the problem.

1) Get the caliper to stick
    2) Open the bleeder
    3) see if the caliper is still stuck.

If the caliper is still stuck, you have a bad caliper
    If the caliper is free, you have a bad hose

That is the actual correct way to diagnosis whether the caliper or brake line is bad.
    Good call.

Rookie

Well shortly after my last reply I tried to open up the bleeder and it snapped on me. So I left the car sitting since and finally broke down and bought new calipers. The mechanic said that these types of flex lines don't collapse. So he said he would leave the hoses. After some parts and labour I'm back on the road.

I have a really old car (1996) and have just experienced a "collapsed" brake hose. Basically, the line plugs up or internally shrinks. The brakes still work because there is enough pressure applying the brakes to force the fluid through the hose (100s of psi) but not enough to allow the fluid to flow back into the master cylinder to release the brakes (perhaps 1 or so psi). It does occasionally happen but perhaps on really old cars with original brake hoses.
    And as far as snapping bleeder screws, heat with a propane torch and careful unbolting will loosen them but the calliper has to be removed and any nearby rubber parts removed also. Careful application of heat is an important tool for old car backyard mechanics especially on the lighter car models which often use smaller bolts.

Senior TEAM Member

'The mechanic said that these types of flex lines don't collapse'

Right AND wrong. The line DOESN'T collapse. A piece comes loose on the inside, but it can hang by a small attachment that has not torn completely loose, or the piece is big enough so that it plugs the line really good. In the first case the attaching tab holds it in place to stick with application of pressure. Pressure actually pushes harder on it to seal and block off, the pressure release allows backflow back to cylinder. Like a one way check valve. Absolutely possible. BTDT. On truck less than 5 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeyZX3 View Post
    Just wanted to see if anyone has had experience with one of their rubber brake lines collapsing?

I've been troubleshooting a sticky caliper and saw posts about different kinds of cars with collapsing brake hoses and how it makes the caliper appear seized (ie a check valve kind of behavior). I don't understand how a hose (Especially a rubber line) could collapse when under large pressure from the inside out.

Thanks.
    All the time - depending on the make and model - replace the proportioning valve and the rubber lines ... make sure to blow everything out with air from the proportioning valve back (make sure there is no blockage in the hard lines)
    #3052 of 3985
    Full N/A SVT Build

Premier Sponsor

I had this happen on my '69 Skylark, when you'd hit the brakes the car would try to turn left because the right front brake wasn't working.

I figured it out when I installed a new right front wheel cylinder (drum brakes) and then couldn't bleed the brakes on that side.

Any flexible rubber brake line could fail internally this way and still look perfect from the outside.

Autonation Ford of White Bear Lake (formerly Tousley Ford) Proudly helping forum members build and maintain their vehicles with OEM and Ford Racing parts since 2004.

Now accepting online orders here http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

You can also find us here http://forums.focaljet.com/tousley-ford/