Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Top Speed Performance

Rookie

Default How Do I Replace the Blower Motor (Focus Stw. 2002)

I am a new member, I've seen many posts from people with the same or similar issues: That is - blower only works on 4, not 1,2,3, the AC light comes on, but nothing happens.

Checked the fuses, they are fine, I replaced the blower motor resistor and that fixed it, but it blew again two days later. I have been led to think it may be that the blower motor is drawing too much current, there is an issue with water leaking in or that I have a short somewhere.

I managed to get a used motor cheap on eBay (hoping it doesn't have the same issue), but I don't know how to replace it. Can anyone point me to a site with instructions?

Also... might be bad form to ask two questions... I wonder if there is a way to determine if the motor is drawing too much current?

Much thanks in advance. I've only had this car a month, but I'm loving it. It's going to be a hot summer and I want AC.
    Last edited by KrisB; May 29, 2010 at 3:42 AM.

Default Re: How Do I Replace the Blower Motor (Focus Stw. 2002)

Actually, it may not be the blower motor at all. It may be a simple resistor that's causing the problem.

http://forums.focaljet.com/team-tech...-problems.html
    Richard
    2002 ZTS | Sangria Red |
    Over 519,000 km and 324,000 miles
    2012 SE Sport | Red Candy | Over 47,000 km and 29,000 miles

[FJ] focaljet - Forum Guidelines - Welcome to the Jet - 2012 Focus - Team Canada - FJ Store - Sponsors - SEARCH

Rookie

I just did this on my car a few days ago. I'll try my best to explain it. There are three bolts underneath the glove box on the passenger side. take them off and remove the glove box. Then there is one bold right in front that holds in the feet air ventilation piece (it's only about six inches long and black plastic). Remove the piece. Get underneath whatever carpeting is there and theres the blower motor. Remove the electrical plug/circut, and then there are simply three bolts holding on the blower motor from underneath. Take them off and then your in business.

Senior TEAM Member

Replace the blower motor, and the resistor again. I have been saying that the blower motor takes out the resistor for years now with nay sayers and all. Ha see perfect example.
    '02 Liquid Gray ZX3
    Ported Focus Central Head, Comp Stage III Cams, CFM Cam Gears. Ported Contour Intake Manifold, Aluminum Contour Throttle Body, Custom Short Ram Intake, Underdrive Pulley, 4-1 Header, 2 1/2" flexback exhaust, Sniper Commando Tuned, A/C delete, B&M Short Throw Shifter, Eibach Springs on KYB AGX's, SVT Cluster, American Racing Outlaw II's