Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Tasca Auto Group

Default Help! CEL- Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input P0193

I have an 05 duratec. Got this check engine light today and had it checked at the local auto parts store. I looked up the code and found this:

P0193 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input (FRP) The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) monitors the FRP sensor circuit to the PCM for high voltage. If voltage were to fall below a calibrated limit and a calibrated amount of time during testing, the test will fail. FRP signal shorted to VREF or VPWR.
    FRP signal open (gasoline only)
    Low fuel pressure (NG only)
    Damaged FRP sensor.
    Damaged PCM.
    High fuel pressure (caused by damaged fuel pressure regulator) NG.
    A FRP PID value during KOER or KOEO less than 0.3 volts for gasoline or 0.5 volts for natural gas vehicles (NG) would indicate a hard fault.

I'm not really mechanically inclined so I don't really understand that description very well. Two things that I think may be important:
    1) I was running very low on gas, about 25 miles with the gas light on.
    2) I changed the fuel filter a month or two ago. I did it myself and like I said, I'm not mechanically inclined so I may have messed something up, but I don't think it would have taked this long to throw a code.

Should I be worried? What would cause this?

The car is not modded and it seems to drive like it always does
    Last edited by bcbunn; Sep 7, 2010 at 11:19 AM.

TEAM Member

Default Re: Help! CEL- Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input P0193

Basically the signal voltage of fuel rail pressure sensor is too high and is exceeding a limit that is calibrated in the ECU. From your description it seems likely that it is due to a bad fuel rail pressure sensor, or a short in the wiring. Since you said the car still runs fine, I wouldn't think that it is a fuel pressure problem. If you have a multimeter it should be pretty easy to check the sensor wires to see if there is a short. Also, I don't think that either of those two things you listed would have really contributed to the problem.
    '04 Infa-Red SVTF. #1772 of 1978, Born on 3/24/2004. Audophile, HID's, Winter Package, and some other things.
    '02 Steel Blue BMW 325i. 5 speed, winter package and no other things.

Thanks for the reply. Should I reset the check engine light and see if it returns or should I take it into the dealer?

I would reset it. If it comes back, then odds are you have a problem with your sensor. If it doesn't, it was a glitch or gremlin that sprung up, and it's just something to take note of.
    2003 SVT ZX3: 93 Octane Tune, ITG drop-in panel filter, CFM Lower Engine Mount, ORP, custom leaky exhaust.
    "Donít focus on the one guy who hates you. You donít go to the park and set your picnic down next to the only pile of dog s**t"

I'm not very good in bed. In fact, I'm terrible...