Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

OVERBOOST

Thread: Door ajar light

Rookie

Default Door ajar light

I have a 2005 Focus ZX-3 with 189,000 miles on it. I have two odd problems! Every time I apply the regular brake, my door ajar light comes on. The car is completely stock with no modifications. The only thing I've added is a trailer hitch and wiring. All doors are definitely shut properly. The wiring schematic Haynes Focus manual is a little hard to follow.

Another odd thing is that my trunk automatic deck latch stopped working. I replaced the latch itself, checked the relay, checked the fuse on the front of the fuse panel and checked the actuator switch on the instrument panel. All checked ok. It opens normally with the key, but just not with the push-button on the instrument panel. I don't have the auto-door lock system installed. But could it still be related to the fuse 63 on the back of the fuse box that I have been reading so much about? That one is a little hard to get to, so I wanted to ask a few questions first. One other thing, when I push the open button, I can hear the relay click, but no sound at all coming from the latch itself. Any suggestions?

Bucky

TEAM Member

Default Re: Door ajar light

When you say regular brake, I assume you mean foot brake....and with the rear hatch not opening as well, I'd suggest you look at the wiring harness between body and hatch. Common for the wires to break and short....

Also, until you have checked them, don't use the read demist/heated window. Ask me how I know.....
    goldse - I was about to say.... that looks like a big crack !
    Dato - And, if he still tries anything, use your l33t skills and un-dent his eye sockets.
    CheaperSleeper - Why the hell can't women just "ding" like a microwave?
    -------------------
    2003 fully loaded ZTW daily driver
    1986 Merkur XR4Ti, and 1978 Firebird Formula..another project

Rookie

Yes...I do mean the foot brake, and yes...the rear hatch is closed. The ignition must be "on" of course. And it doesn't matter is the vehicle is moving or not. I have manually checked both "Door Ajar" door switches, and they seemed to be ok. I just can figure out how the Door Ajar light is connected to the brake lights.

Bucky

TEAM Member

Simply because the 'door ajar' also works on the rear hatch, and I suspect the wiring is in the same place as all the other hatch wiring...in a rubber sleeve between the body and the hatch. When you brake, power is being sent to the door ajar circuit I suspect.
    Dato - And, if he still tries anything, use your l33t skills and un-dent his eye sockets.
    -------------------

Rookie

That is a possibility. I guess this weekend I can try to pry out the rubber boot and check for a broken wire. This could also explain why the rear hatch back door latch is not working. I've ruled out pretty much everything else, so that is as good a place to start next as any.

Thanks...

Bucky

Rookie

(15 minutes later) I could not wait for this weekend to check out the wiring. I removed the rubber boot from the upper body to hatch wiring harness. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Sure enough, Three of the wires were completely broken in two. Now the question is, how in the heck am I going to repair that? It's a very tight area.

I thought about a broken wire early on, but wanted to check out all the easy stuff first. And then when the Door Ajar light came on, well that threw me a curve.

Thanks again. And I'll bet there are others out there with the same problem.

Bucky

TEAM Member

Yeah I've read about that a lot, know anybody with a soldering iron?
    02 ZX5

Rookie

I work in electronics by trade. So I'm pretty good with a soldering iron and shrink tubing. But the problem is that I don't think there is enough wiring to work with in that area. I think I'm going to have to remove the wires from the hatch just so I can work on them. I don't mind spending a little money on this car, it has been pretty maintenance free since new. I put about 2,500 miles on it per month, and it has only been in the shop twice for other than routine maintenance.

I see where the 2000 Focus had a recall for this problem. I wonder if
    Ford has extended the recall to the 05s. I'll call the dealer this morning and check. Also, I'm wondering if it would be better to replace the harness, as apposed to repairing it. I don't know how long that particular harness is, or how far it extends into the vehicle. It may be one piece all the way to the front of the car. That would be a bummer... Guess I don't go fishing this weekend, but will be fishing for wires instead!

I'll advise of the progress...

Bucky

Rookie

I checked with the Ford dealer this morning. There is no Recall, but there is a redesigned part. The harness number is 4S4Z14630BA. The cost is only $76.10. I can live with that. And the best part is that it is a short harness, meaning that there is a plug-in connector in the rear area somewhere. I'm going to spend the money and get the correct OEM part.

I can't get too upset with Ford, or this car, as I use it as a service vehicle and put about 2,500 miles per month on it. I open and close that hatch sometimes 8 or 9 times per day. And the harness has lasted almost 6 years. I can't complain I guess. So far this has been the best maintenance car I have ever owned. I've only had it in the shop twice for emergency work. Once was for an ignition switch lock-up, and the other time was for a collapsed vacuum hose under the manifold. I did have unusual rear tire wear, but when I had it aligned with a computer, that was fixed also. Other than that, it just keeps going and going. Now just because I said that...the engine will fall out today!

I'll keep you guys posted on the wiring project.

Bucky

TEAM Member

Glad you checked it now?

And take what I said seriously, don't use rear heated window until u fix it. Mine shorted so bad it melted the wires together. And ya, a bitch to fix...I did mine in the winter too.
    -------------------

Rookie

The repair job is complete. It took about 2 hours. I was able to get enough slack in the harness to work with. Three wires were broken in two, and there were two others that were nearly so. I added a little more wire to the broken ones and used shrink tubing over each solder joint. Then I wrapped the whole thing in plastic electrical tape. It was a bit much tape to get back in the rubber boot, but I finally got it.

All is well now. The Door Ajar light is off, and the push button for the hatch latch works again. The harness is stretched pretty tight in that area. So if it happens again, I think I might just add more wire to all of the wires and then stuff excess up into the inside of the rear hatch. I did check with the Ford dealer about a complete new harness. They are $76.10, but were also on back-order. So that's why I attempted the repair myself. It was a lot easier to do than I expected.

Thanks again for all the help.

Bucky

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    The repair job is complete. It took about 2 hours. I was able to get enough slack in the harness to work with. Three wires were broken in two, and there were two others that were nearly so. I added a little more wire to the broken ones and used shrink tubing over each solder joint. Then I wrapped the whole thing in plastic electrical tape. It was a bit much tape to get back in the rubber boot, but I finally got it.

All is well now. The Door Ajar light is off, and the push button for the hatch latch works again. The harness is stretched pretty tight in that area. So if it happens again, I think I might just add more wire to all of the wires and then stuff excess up into the inside of the rear hatch. I did check with the Ford dealer about a complete new harness. They are $76.10, but were also on back-order. So that's why I attempted the repair myself. It was a lot easier to do than I expected.

Thanks again for all the help.

Bucky
    Ya, I repaired mine as well. Wasn't too bad, just damned cold when i did it.

Glad you got it all sorted out. It's what we're here for.
    -------------------