Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FSWerks

Rookie

Exclamation Ford Focus Rear Drum Bearing Spindle Replace Repair Reuse Issues Lube?

I like others have had issues with my rear brakes squealing. I decided to replace the rear shoes. My buddy did it for me, being a AES Tech so I figured he would do it best.

He used a Impact driver to remove it and replace it the spindle nut.. I know bad Idea

I did it once myself and know to remove the spindle 14mm bolts. So long story short.. no bad issues there but brakes still squealed. I found out that the common reason is there is a harmonic problem with the with the drum and other parts so I figured I would buy a new drum on ebay and it came with the bearing. $114 + $30 Shipping.

Worked like a Charm, I did it myself. However 2 months later both bearing went bad.
    I tourqed the nuts to the 173lbs like the specs require. However I never added Extra Lube. Was told by a buddy that does this that its not needed. I figured he was right did not see extra lube when I removed it.

So I went to Ford yesterday. Bought 2 new Drums with bearing since I do not trust the ebay drums.

I know people say replace the nuts, but the washers looked perfect still my Focus is a 2007 with 65k miles. Unless someone can come up with a strong argument to replace them I cannot see why they need to be replaced.

So.... to Review... here is what I know.

Bolts 14mm on Spindle Tourqed to 49 ft/lbs.

Spindle Nut I hear on forums 29mm 30mm and 32mm, I bought a 30mm seems every so slightly slacked but works well. so I think 29mm night be correct. and the torque spec is 173 ft/lbs

Front Axle Nut - 32mm no idea on ft/lbs
    Rear Axle Nut - 29mm 173 ft/lbs

So does the rear Spindles get Lubed when installing the rear drum with Spindle Nut Method. Or is the bearing sealed and pre-lubed????

The new Drums have a SMALLER hub, so the 2007 drum speed ring will not fit the new drum I just bought they are smaller, forcing you to replace the Speed ring. I have pinched the old speed ring sides sightly and they seem to be working perfectly and holding..

Premier Sponsor

Default Re: Ford Focus Rear Drum Bearing Spindle Replace Repair Reuse Issues Lube?

I guess I'd really question what they sold you.

The rear ABS tone rings were all the same from 2000-2010 and the drums were all the same from 2000-2009.

You should have gotten the following part numbers,

Drum 8S4Z-1113-B
    Tone ring 5S4Z-2B384-AA

I just pulled a set off the shelf and verified that the tone rings do fit those drums.

Autonation Ford of White Bear Lake (formerly Tousley Ford) Proudly helping forum members build and maintain their vehicles with OEM and Ford Racing parts since 2004.

Now accepting online orders here http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

You can also find us here http://forums.focaljet.com/tousley-ford/

Rookie

Default Re: Ford Focus Rear Drum Bearing Spindle Replace Repair Reuse Issues Lube?

The set of drums I bought on ebay may have stretched them rings, but the main question is still here, does the spindle our bearings get lubed?

TEAM Member

My Chiltons for 2000-05 says nothing about lube anywhere, wither in drum/bearing complete replacement, nor bearing replacement alone.

Only 2 things to note about drum replacement.

1 is the tone ring for ABS if you have it...be careful with it.

2 is to rotate the drum in the opposite direction when tightening the hub retaining nut to prevent damage to the bearing.
    goldse - I was about to say.... that looks like a big crack !
    Dato - And, if he still tries anything, use your l33t skills and un-dent his eye sockets.
    CheaperSleeper - Why the hell can't women just "ding" like a microwave?
    -------------------
    2003 fully loaded ZTW daily driver
    1986 Merkur XR4Ti, and 1978 Firebird Formula..another project

no, do not lube anything. the bearing is a sealed bearing and does not require packing.
    TXFO V.2.0

Hank Williams might have been a love sick drinker but being a love sick drunk don't make you Hank. -Sons of Bill-

Rookie

well I bought a set of drums on ebay with bearing in them..
    I live in Las Vegas and drive my car like I stole it, I replaced the drum because the surface was to smooth and made noise.

not because the bearing was bad, so I figured the spindle was fine.

I installed the new set. they lasted 2 months. One bearing made noise then failed.
    Other one failed about the same time the replacement one came for the defective.

I went to ford bought a new set, the ABS ring was sloppy, was wider then the OEM so that explains the sloppy ABS, but still got it to work.

I got them to give me a refund on the drums.

So I am out shipping on 3 drums.
    But all 3 failed. the Lube was all over the place with the failed drums, so I think the heat of las vegas killed the seals making the bearing fail.

the Ford ones are 2 weeks in and still quiet wher ethe cheap ones failed in 1 week.