Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Perfect Circle Autosport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rookie

Default 2001 Zetec timing belt replacement questions

I'm replacing the broken timing belt and would like to know if anyone has advice on how to do it. Do you need the "special tools" that are shown in the repair manual in order to get the timing right? Where is the plug that you remove to install another "tool" (bolt?)to locate the crankshaft at TDC? I've removed the four bolts that hold the top timing belt cover and also the engine mount but something is still holding the cover so I can't remove it. I guess the plate that has the two studs that the engine mount bolts to has to be removed also.? Will this allow the top cover to be removed? Do you need to remove the valve cover or can you time the camshafts without removing it? The teeth on the belt stripped at the crankshaft so the camshafts are still in the correct position in relation to each other but how can I tell when they are in the correct alignment with the crankshaft? Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Senior TEAM Member

Default Re: 2001 Zetec timing belt replacement questions

Yeah, the special tools are REALLY handy. IIRC, the bolt goes in the front of the engine, near the transmission. The plate is fine, but those studs need to come off, then the top cover will come too. Valve cover needs to come on to get the special bar in. If you have the special tools, they hold the camshafts in proper position, and locate the crankshaft properly, so you can't screw it up. Good luck! the job isn't too bad. Thank goodness for non-interference engines!
    '00 Focus Kona edt.
    SVT suspension, poly bushings, 15" split 5 spokes with Cooper CS4, ebay CAI with K&N filter, an 'aaaoooogah' horn

TEAM Member

Spot, these are interference engines.....hence the other guy trashing his engine when the timing belt teeth gave out...

http://forums.focaljet.com/team-tech...eeth-gone.html
    goldse - I was about to say.... that looks like a big crack !
    Dato - And, if he still tries anything, use your l33t skills and un-dent his eye sockets.
    CheaperSleeper - Why the hell can't women just "ding" like a microwave?
    -------------------
    2003 fully loaded ZTW daily driver
    1986 Merkur XR4Ti, and 1978 Firebird Formula..another project

Rookie

It was my understanding that the SVT engine was an interference engine but the stock Focus Zetec engine isn't. Hopefully! I'd like to add that the car was idling in my driveway and just stopped without a sound. I got in and turned the key and it spun over although it didn't sound the same as before. There is no metal to metal sound but it sounds different, probably because the valve train isn't spinning.
    Last edited by 2K1ZX3S2; Oct 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM.

TEAM Member

Well, in that case, color me stupid.....now I don't know if they are or not...lol...and spot, I apologize if I'm wrong...

Either way, sounds like the belt.
    Dato - And, if he still tries anything, use your l33t skills and un-dent his eye sockets.
    -------------------

I <3 UC^3

Correct, the base Zetec is non-interference.

You NEED the cam bar, you can substitute the bolt with using a screw driver in the #1 cylinder.

If you have the repair manual, follow it step by step. Also, replace the tensioner and idler.
    Joe

2013 Oxford White ST
    1985 Nimbus Grey Merkur XR4Ti

Have a Focus ST? Check out FJ's partner site, Focus ST Network

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by hEaT View Post
    Correct, the base Zetec is non-interference.
    Well thanks Joe...that means the Focus, Merk and Firebird are alllll nothing to worry about...wooot!
    -------------------

I <3 UC^3

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Well thanks Joe...that means the Focus, Merk and Firebird are alllll nothing to worry about...wooot!

My XR jumped time a month back. 30min later she was up and running again. Great having that ONE less thing to worry about, especially when it seems in the case of the square-tooth equipped 2.3's, they jump timing all too easy.
    Joe

2013 Oxford White ST

Senior TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Well, in that case, color me stupid.....now I don't know if they are or not...lol...and spot, I apologize if I'm wrong...

Either way, sounds like the belt.
    Nah, it's all good!

For the record:
    Zetec: non-interference
    SVT: inteference
    '00 Focus Kona edt.
    SVT suspension, poly bushings, 15" split 5 spokes with Cooper CS4, ebay CAI with K&N filter, an 'aaaoooogah' horn

Also since you have pretty much everything out of the way for doing the water pump you could add that to the list. People have done timing on these without the tools but not many(me included). The thing to watch for is having the timing 180 off, the pin will go in and everything will go for that matter but the it will not start. I'd suggest making sure you are going into the compression (piston traveling up). Other then that it is pretty easy but can be a little time consuming.

I <3 UC^3

If the belt is on and the crank is 180* out, the slot in the cams will not be lined up. If the slots are off, remove the pin, rotate the crank another 180*, insert pin, insert cam bar and then remove belt. Do not remove the belt before you get the cams and crank in time.

IIRC, if you get the crank at TDC, it doesn't matter if it's 180* out or not. Put the cams in time and then the motor is in time.
    Joe

2013 Oxford White ST

TEAM Member

Yes, crank must merely be at TDC #1 piston. Motor has no way of knowing where the crank is, you actually make it right by moving cams to it on these engines.

Crank 180 out would have #1 at BDC.

My Contour zetec stripped belt to throw cams off a good 1/4"+, it still ran but only at reduced speed. Drove it 30 miles home, changed belt, back to driving it fine.

Rookie

Thanks for all of the info. I tore it down and just loaded it on a ramp truck to take it to a shop that has the correct tools to put it back together. I don't have the time to wait to receive the tools by mail, since I would have to order them. I hate to have someone else work on my car but I need it back in a hurry. Thanks again.

Senior TEAM Member

for the record, you can buy the special tools at any auto parts store
    '00 Focus Kona edt.

Rookie

I called AutoZone and they didn't have the tools. It was late Saturday afternoon by the time I found out I needed them so the other parts stores in town were closed. I think they would have to order them also but probably could have them the next day. Anyway, I picked it up today. Now to see if I can find the time before winter to change the upper strut mounts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast