Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FJ Gear Store

Rookie

Question [HELP - 2001 Ford Focus] Inner/Outer tie rod replacement

Hello.

I am trying to replace the driver-side: inner tie rod boot, inner tie rod, and outer tie rod, on a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3.
    I have successfully removed the outer tie rod, and the inner tie rod boot. Those weren't of much any difficulty.

The problem:
    The ball-and-socket joint has no flat surfaces, no "hex" to grab, or anything else. It is a smooth sphere. I am under the impression it is the ORIGINAL 10 year old part. No "special removal tool" will grab onto it (EG: Crow foot wrench).

How am I supposed to go about removing it (inner tie rod) from the steering rack without damaging anything? I have seen suggestions from scouring the internet. Some suggest you use a pipe wrench, others, a pair of channel-lock pliers. There is a very limited amount of room, though. Making everything very difficult!

Here are three images of how it looks currently (used a spotlight):
    - 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - DRIVER SIDE

Thank you to anyone who can help, in advance. It's heavily appreciated.

I <3 UC^3

Default Re: [HELP - 2001 Ford Focus] Inner/Outer tie rod replacement

Last edited by hEaT; Nov 26, 2011 at 8:04 PM.
    Joe

2013 Oxford White ST
    1985 Nimbus Grey Merkur XR4Ti

Have a Focus ST? Check out FJ's partner site, Focus ST Network

Senior TEAM Member

I just took mine out a couple days ago. Used a pipe wrench, and it was super slick. Crank the wheel all the way so whichever one you want is sticking out as much as possible.

Oh yeah, since I was doing them anyway, I removed the sway bar end links and control arm for a little more clearance. May be helpful if you're stuck
    '00 Focus Kona edt.
    SVT suspension, poly bushings, 15" split 5 spokes with Cooper CS4, ebay CAI with K&N filter, an 'aaaoooogah' horn

Ditto what spots just said but let me carify, you don't need to remove any of the suspension bits. I used a 10in pipe wrench and it came off in no time!