Ford Focus Forum banner

When to change the Timing Belt

3K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  CINCIN 
#1 ·
Is their a time that I should change my timing belt?

I have 98K on my car and was just wondering if it’s just something to look at and see if it’s worn then change it or should I change it at 100k regardless??

#3 ·
I changed mine at just over 100k miles, and honestly it looked fine. No cracks, even ribs spacing, could hardly see any wear. Make sure they put the accessory bolts back on right (tensioner & water pump pulleys), the shop that did mine ***** up those bolts and I had to get the dealer to replace my belt tensioner.
Had a replacement water pump when I sold the car at 130k miles, but just passed that on to the new owner, its a convenient time to get it changed when doing the timing belt, got my pump (Bosch) for only $50.

#4 ·
So I was going to replace it with the Comp belt from FocusSport and I might as well put gears on when I replace that and It sounds like I should replace the water pump at the same time....

Guess thats going to have to be something to do once I get more money in the bank after geting my tranny fixed. and new Summer tire..

#5 ·
heh. so I replaced mine at 110K. it was getting pretty close, so just in time. Also, on an odd side of things, the timing belt idler pulley was non-existant!! :lol: I bought the car used, so whoever did the initial timing belt replacement kinda forgot something! :lol: still not sure how the car lasted as long as she did with the belt like that!

#6 ·
Talk about bringing a thread back from the dead.

I'm at the point where I'm gonna have my timing belt replaced. I got a friend who's a mechanic who is gonna do it for $75 and a six pack. I figure, I need to buy the belt, and a new valve cover gasket. Anything else I should pick up for the job? He's got the tools needed, so that isn't an issue.

My serpentine belt is new, no leaking seals or leaks around the water pump, so that should be good to go.

Anything I'm leaving out?

#7 ·
I here a Water pump should be replaced... and make sure he gets that six pack after the belt is on...

#9 ·
Why do the water pump if it's not bad? It's not driven by the timing belt on the DOHC motor in the Focus. It is a reccomendation even on Mitchell to do it at the same time, IF NEEDED. A water pump is another 2.0 hours labor that I don't need done. The timing belt pays 2.8 plus another .2 for seals and such, so that's where we came to 3 hours labor on it, and a six pack at the end. Honestly, I was told the camshaft seals don't even need to be replaced if they aren't leaking. 3 hours just was a nice round number, and it would cover the seals if they need replacing.

So, I'm gonna buy the belt, new valve cover gasket, and the seals.(just in case, they're cheap, and if they are still good, I'll have them if I need them later on)

I appreciate the help to let me know I hadn't really forgotten anything.

#10 ·
Honestly..... a water pump does not involve 2 more hours of flag time, whoever told you this may be trying to take you for a ride.....
the water pump is 4 simple bolts once your in there.
I can see .5 hours MORE for doing the water pump but not an additional 2 hours, that's ubsurd !!

If you replace the timing belt now the water pump will fail within 10-15K and then you will have to go in and do it and spend MORE money. Just a side note.... The water pump in the focus usualy lasts 90K or so.

The reason they tell you to replace your water pump isn't just because it's convenient and your already there type of thing, it's when the water pump goes out and does more dammage like overheating your engine without warning.

I See your situation tho... 2 hours more is a seriouis jip.

#11 ·
I changed mine around 12pm, that's always the best time for me

#12 ·
I would recommend a goodyear gatorback timing belt, Very well built!

#21 ·
Wow, My focus has 178,000 miles and its still on the first water pump...no problems either....hmmmm
I did change the belt at 78,000 thousand, so when I get back to cali I think its the first thing that will be done and shoot seeing that the water pump is only 50$ might as well do that, don't want to push it

#23 ·
You have to remove the timing covers to get to the Water pump, That's why it's reccomended.

Look.... I won't argue with you texv, I'm sure you know everything and your car runs fine, it's WELL KNOWN in the automotive market that you do a water pump with a timing belt even if it's not driven by the timing belt.

Bottom line don't Ask texv, FOLLOW your ford service manual thats best, The "If it ain't broke don't fix it"crap only leaves you stranded somewhere, your water pump may last 190K !! it may break at 30K NOBODY knows, thats why you replace it at 90-100k with a timing belt.

#24 ·
at our shop we recomend a water pump with every timing belt. at most places dont charge any extra labor , just the cost of the part if you replace the belt and the pump goes out you pay the same labor all over again. so yeah its a good ideato do it while your in there imo.

#25 ·
I'll have my mechanic check the water pump while he's doing the timing belt, and if it shows any signs of anything bad, it'll get replaced. I doubt it will need it, I constantly check everything on my car. Basically I inspect pretty much everything at every oil change, and I also check things out if I bring the car into work for anything.(tires, etc..) Everything is fine on there as far as I can see as of last week when I had the car in the shop at work when I had to replace a turn signal. Did an inspection just to give me something to do instead of standing around.

#26 ·
goldse said:
, The "If it ain't broke don't fix it"crap only leaves you stranded somewhere, your water pump may last 190K !! it may break at 30
I don't see "water pump" in the ford service schedule.

Timing belt will leave you stranded for sure. Water pump? Hardly.

Shops tell you to change extra stuff so they can have more work and more cash. It's not a ferrari, its a ford. As in affordable. As in don't waste your money on changing random parts before they break that are NOT listed in the service schedule as maintenence items.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.