Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Capaldi Racing

TEAM Member

Default Idle stumble solved... !

Well my baby has been in and out of the dealer4 times to try and find the cause of my stumble at idle, with no luck on their part. But today I found the problem myself. While cleaning the engine bay I noticed the air filter box was not screwed down tight. Upon further inspection, I found that the bolts that hold it closed were just in there loose, with nothing to tight down on. There are 4 sleeves that the bolts screw into, and 3 of mine are missing. So off to Home Depot I went, I replaced the sleeves with 4 6mm nuts, tightened everything down and the stumble is gone. The funny thing is my dealer claimed they did a 30,000 mile service which included changing the air filter, they should have seen the missing sleeves at that time. I begining to think they didn't even touch my car. And now my baby has so much more power.....

------------------
    Team Mid-Atlantic
    FullMoonFocus
    2000 silver ZTS 5spd
    Painted side view mirrors, APC clear side markers, Euro grill with custom made turn signals, 5 color indiglo gauges, and Eibach Pro Kit springs

[This message has been edited by FullMoonFocus (edited 04-06-2001).]

TEAM Member

Default Re: Idle stumble solved... !

was this stumble when your coming to a stop?

I have an automatic and when I slow down it feels as if its gonna stall for a moment..wondering if i should have them check this when i get my oil changed in the morning

TEAM Member

Yes it would stumble very badly when coming to a stop at lights. It stalled once but the dealer said they couldn't find the problem. We will probably see another recall on this issue soon, as this could cause some serious problems with water in the intake. I am going to call Ford customer service and let them know what I found. I hope this helps you out.

TEAM Member

Hey FullMoon, good on you. I hope the stumble stays away. But I'm afraid the computer will readjust it self back to the stumble mode. I hope I'm wrong but that seems to be what happened when I put MSD wires on my car. It ran great for a day or two then gradually began missing again. Now it's worse than before. I'm putting all the stock parts back on for another visit to the dealer. It certainly *does* feel like a vacuum leak.
    Let us know how it is in a week or two.

Mammoni

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>. I am going to call Ford customer service and let them know what I found<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Very good idea! Thank you for that! Whenever you guys experience a problem, especially if it seems out there or out of the ordinary, call FCS and let them know about your concern. They won't do anything about one or two cases out of a couple thousand. But if they get a ton of calls about a similar issue they can let the Ford Hotline figure out a solution for the dealership techs (who aren't always the most knowlegable on every car sometimes, as was evidensed at my dealer).

I actually got several letters and two phone calls back concerning my call on my stupid alarm click (dealership installed the wrong type of alarm for cars like the Focus and Windstar).

I had the same problem this weekend and I was told that it was the cars computer adjusting from cold to hot air, but as it turns out my air filter from the cold air induction unit disinigrated. so when we put all the factory stuff back in it was fine...we are waiting on a better filter for the induction unit.

------------------
    TEAM GREAT LAKES
    Twilight Blue ZX3 "Baby Egg"
    Window graphics
    K&N Air Filter
    Down's Ford Cold Air Induction Kit
    Indiglo Dash board Gauges (blue)
    AIM: FocusBabe2000

My Focus won't idle intermittently
    Nothing is scarier than losing your power steering in the middle of a dangerous turn, but my Focus does it every once in a while when this sorry vehicle decides it won't idle. There is no rhyme or reason to it, and four different dealers, from Atlanta to Chicago, were unable to figure out the problem.
    I could mention dozens of other defects in this poorly designed and badly built vehicle, but it would take a book. The front brakes wore out at 5,000 miles, the suspension at 30,000, along with the ignition switch, just to name a few of the worst problems.
    I am now thinking I have to pass on this mechanical miracle to the next unsuspecting sucker, and buy a reliable vehicle.